Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Will they ever learn?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Will they ever learn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-20, 11:57 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I acknowledged there are a few states where this is legal. Post 45. Point I was making was that the VAST majority of cyclists do all of their riding on roads that have absolutely nothing to do with the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act. And yes, that's a rather obvious point, but a certain poster seems intent on bringing up that act for some reason. Maybe it's because Eisenhower is the last president he remembers?
Agreed. 99.9% (maybe 99.999%) of the roads that cyclists use are local roads, funded by local property taxes and the occasional grant from the government (usually for programs such as "Complete Streets" or to add width for bike lanes or other transportation improvements). Meanwhile, the interstates are supported by a portion of gas tax, and again federal tax revenue... bottom line, no roads are really 100% funded by "gas tax," and thus are certainly not the private domain of motorized vehicles.
Likes For genec:
Old 09-01-20, 08:04 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
You have all missed the point. By the time a child becomes a teenager he/she has consumed thousands of hours of advertising telling them that cars are: fast, beautiful, sexy, convenient, loud, and just generally the best thing ever. For goodness sakes, my local teenager can explain to me why a rumbling exhaust is a good thing despite that attribute having nothing whatsoever to do with the ultimate utility of the vehicle.

When a person goes out the door to start a journey do they grab their bike or get in the car?

When I get on my bike, am I presented with a safe comfortable road to take without danger from morons driving cars at great risk to myself? No. I have to gear up and find ways to route myself around with minimal risk. Despite that I get threatened and bullied from drivers in gigantic SUV’s or other vehicles that people have purchased as part of their me me me view of the world as taught to them by thousands of hours of advertising. Why do I take my bike?

Because dammit it’s fun and good for the world and somewhere along the way I learned to hate cars and enjoy propelling myself. When your car passes me too close because you are too stupid to pass safely and I give you the finger that’s where I’m coming from. Regards.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 09-03-20, 12:59 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
You have all missed the point. By the time a child becomes a teenager he/she has consumed thousands of hours of advertising telling them that cars are: fast, beautiful, sexy, convenient, loud, and just generally the best thing ever. For goodness sakes, my local teenager can explain to me why a rumbling exhaust is a good thing despite that attribute having nothing whatsoever to do with the ultimate utility of the vehicle.

When a person goes out the door to start a journey do they grab their bike or get in the car?

When I get on my bike, am I presented with a safe comfortable road to take without danger from morons driving cars at great risk to myself? No. I have to gear up and find ways to route myself around with minimal risk. Despite that I get threatened and bullied from drivers in gigantic SUV’s or other vehicles that people have purchased as part of their me me me view of the world as taught to them by thousands of hours of advertising. Why do I take my bike?

Because dammit it’s fun and good for the world and somewhere along the way I learned to hate cars and enjoy propelling myself. When your car passes me too close because you are too stupid to pass safely and I give you the finger that’s where I’m coming from. Regards.

Yes, car culture works very hard to present driving as safe and fun and at the same time does it’s best to present cycling on public roads as dangerous. I’m convinced that if car accidents where presented in the same way as cycling accidents are in the media most of us would never get in a car ever again. In the US car accidents cause 4.4million injuries needing medical attention each year or, to put it in perspective, in a 5 year period about 10% of all licensed drivers will be injured in a car accident. Something not covered in ads when they show the latest model on the 101 at sunset with not an other car in sight.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 09-04-20, 04:42 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Point I was making was that the VAST majority of cyclists do all of their riding on roads that have absolutely nothing to do with the National Interstate and Defense Highways Act.
To be the contrarian the interstates take traffic off the surface roads making them safer for bicyclists.
Old 09-04-20, 05:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
To be the contrarian the interstates take traffic off the surface roads making them safer for bicyclists.
Not sure what that has to do with the topic. No one on the thread is suggesting demolishing the interstates.

Also, the interstates would be rather useless without connecting surface roads. Point is you don't have to buy a single gallon of gas to pay for the surface roads through your taxes.
Old 09-04-20, 10:36 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
The Interstates were built with money so old some of it came over on the Mayflower. All we have done since then is barely maintain them. In many places not even that. That isn't on cyclists. In most of those places there aren't any cyclists. A bicycle has zero impact on road surface longevity. And there are many, many miles of roads in any city that are not Interstate highway, or even limited access State Routing. There are plenty of urban and suburban arterials that cyclists with any sense of self-preservation will avoid. It's even difficult to make a proper left turn on local side roads without triggered motorists rushing up behind you to cut you off. I won't be eager to pay a single dime of 'responsibility' to maintain the transportation infrastructure while that kind of unequal representation continues.
Likes For Leisesturm: