Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

L39ion goes continental

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

L39ion goes continental

Old 11-02-20, 02:15 PM
Hapsmo911

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
L39ion goes continental

Good news on this typical monday for me. Hope they can secure and maintain sponsorship..

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/l39ion-of-los-angeles-launches-uci-continental-team-in-2021-hire-skylar-schneider-and-kendall-ryan/
Likes For Hapsmo911:
Old 11-02-20, 02:56 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I wish them well. I'm not well informed about them aside from watching a few videos on Youtube.

All I know is, they have a massive following of haters. I'm in a FB buy/sell group. Someone posted up a jersey for sale and it was quite a **** show in the comments that followed. Since I'm not well informed, I've no idea why.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-02-20, 05:44 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
Good for them! The brothers and the team deserve it!
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 11-02-20, 05:55 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
What does a continental license get them that domestic elite doesn't?

Especially next year. Seems like a monumental waste of money at this point as most all of the races they care about they were already doing (and doing well).
Old 11-02-20, 11:28 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
They are extremely good at the Criterium.
Old 11-03-20, 08:21 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,571 Posts
I'm a hater. I hope this means that they won't bully the criterium scene in socal so much. Every race is basically a Legion TTT before the inevitable Justin or Cory sprint. I mean, it's cool to be a part of and all, but it's not very fun for your average elite amateur racer. Big fishes in a little pond. They need to go pick on someone their own size IMO.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-04-20, 10:13 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I have no idea who this is or what it's about. Is it the Qanon replacement?
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 11-10-20, 04:55 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Hapsmo911
Good news on this typical monday for me. Hope they can secure and maintain sponsorship..

https://www.velonews.com/news/road/l...-kendall-ryan/
Shouldn't this be in the professional cycling for the fans forum now?
Old 12-08-20, 08:55 AM
AMGwagon

Bikes: Seven Axiom XX '18; Seven Aerios '06; Seven Sola '04 and others

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I'm a hater. I hope this means that they won't bully the criterium scene in socal so much. Every race is basically a Legion TTT before the inevitable Justin or Cory sprint. I mean, it's cool to be a part of and all, but it's not very fun for your average elite amateur racer. Big fishes in a little pond. They need to go pick on someone their own size IMO.
I agree 100%. Though I feel a bit conflicted. On one hand, Justin has brought some much-needed attention to cycling for diversity (which will be good for increasing participation and viewership and is good business). On the other hand, he has shown he is not a stage racer, and generally not good outside of crits. So aside from a couple notable performances away from crits, the team better decide if it really wants to get away from what has brought it so much notoriety.

Last edited by AMGwagon; 12-08-20 at 09:49 AM.
Likes For AMGwagon:
Old 12-13-20, 06:25 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by AMGwagon
I agree 100%. Though I feel a bit conflicted. On one hand, Justin has brought some much-needed attention to cycling for diversity (which will be good for increasing participation and viewership and is good business). On the other hand, he has shown he is not a stage racer, and generally not good outside of crits. So aside from a couple notable performances away from crits, the team better decide if it really wants to get away from what has brought it so much notoriety.
Potentially a much bigger discussion of what the sport of cycling is. It is defined by what pays the most - Euro Stage races. But crits are fun and fun to watch, as is track and are hill climbs etc. Just no money.

I have watched 3/4 of them for a decade and they are nice guys and I wish them well, I don't see this as a serious job job thing, unless of course, they recruite for such.
Old 12-14-20, 03:30 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
What does a continental license get them that domestic elite doesn't?

Especially next year. Seems like a monumental waste of money at this point as most all of the races they care about they were already doing (and doing well).
In theory doesn't it open up some European UCI races for them? Given that seems to be the only place racing is happening now..

my race videos
Old 12-17-20, 01:42 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Does this mean they can compete in the Pro version of the US National Crit Championships? I read in an article, there's so many of them over the last few months on these guys, where Justin Williams implied he was prevented from riding in that race but I figured if you're an amateur then you race the amateur race.

But now that they're PCT then they can go hang with the big boys, right? Looking at JW head to head with Travis McCabe and I'm not thinking JW would have had a chance in 2019 against Travis. But now that he's retired (TM) perhaps these guys can get one.
Old 12-21-20, 12:53 AM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Noticed in CyclingTips' roster breakdown, Justin is not included in the conti squad.
Old 12-26-20, 12:57 AM
Hapsmo911

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Yeah I think Justin and Corey, as good as they are at Crits, have a bigger picture in mind, beyond themselves. Seems like they want to build a team outside themselves. I read they see the way a team is paid and functions outside the norm. Guess we will see how it goes.
Old 12-29-20, 10:25 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,571 Posts
Cory could be a higher level road racer than Justin, smaller but more importantly, leaner. I'd bet he has a notably higher w/kg than his bro at all durations over 5s. Becomes more exaggerated as duration increases.
Old 12-30-20, 02:41 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGwagon

you miss the point , Justin has always said he wants to help others get those opportunities pro cycling doesn't allow them to get , so if he upgrades his team he can be a spring board to launch more Americans into the international race scene !
Old 12-30-20, 02:43 AM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Potentially a much bigger discussion of what the sport of cycling is. It is defined by what pays the most - Euro Stage races. But crits are fun and fun to watch, as is track and are hill climbs etc. Just no money.

I have watched 3/4 of them for a decade and they are nice guys and I wish them well, I don't see this as a serious job job thing, unless of course, they recruite for such.
USAC/UCI elite national races are most likely done for 2021 , maybe for ever
Old 01-04-21, 03:31 PM
AMGwagon

Bikes: Seven Axiom XX '18; Seven Aerios '06; Seven Sola '04 and others

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Toespeas
you miss the point , Justin has always said he wants to help others get those opportunities pro cycling doesn't allow them to get , so if he upgrades his team he can be a spring board to launch more Americans into the international race scene !
You miss the bigger point: this is business and failing to success loses sponsors in an already lean industry. Successful role models attract more next gen athletes, so to walk away from something with a winning track record into something where the team could be more obscure works against the effort of appealing to youngsters. Motivation is driven by hope and incentive. Nobody aspires to finish mid-pack.

Last edited by AMGwagon; 01-05-21 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-04-21, 05:44 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Toespeas
USAC/UCI elite national races are most likely done for 2021 , maybe for ever
I don't see that. The new UCI is inclusive and Fondos are UCI, juniors (17-18) and U23 are UCI and both the most competitive groups still in the USA. Pointy end of Fondos have some very elite riders.
If you are at a "real" (primary job) professional, you travel. If you are not, it is recreation (Cat 1, USA Pro, or Cat 4 and old farts) and I expect there are still lots of forms of recreational racing to be had under UCI elite category in 2021.
Old 02-06-21, 10:28 PM
MakiNn

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
More insight with the Conti license for them according to Justin. He will stay with the Domestic Elite team mostly racing the US Crit series. Corry will be heading the Conti team with the eyes to target some European races such as trying to get an invite to the Tour of Britain and such. (pending Covid). They also have the women's team starting most likely on a Domestic level as well.

Funny fact Cory still has a "pro" license but Justin does not, he still has a simple Cat 1 USAC which he laughs about.

From the latest podcast with Justin which came out when he was given his Red Bull Helmet a week or so ago he said spending the money on the Conti License is to open the doors on other avenues for riders on his team. He said he has no attention to do anything other then USA crits and help his teammates move to higher levels.

Over all I think the guy has a great head on his shoulders and if you don't know much about him recently I recommend watching the latest "The Adventure Stache" podcast which really gives insight on what he is trying to do and why they have done what they have done thus far.

Link:
Likes For MakiNn:
Old 02-07-21, 11:08 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by MakiNn
Funny fact Cory still has a "pro" license but Justin does not, he still has a simple Cat 1 USAC which he laughs about.
Guess I don't know why he is laughing? A USA "pro" and Cat 1 have a fee difference, but other than that they are the same. What am I missing?
Old 02-08-21, 04:25 PM
MakiNn

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Guess I don't know why he is laughing? A USA "pro" and Cat 1 have a fee difference, but other than that they are the same. What am I missing?
Race availability such as Nationals, for example Cory could have raced the US Pro national Race but Justin would have to be "invite" which he was but once he was told he couldn't bring his team he said no to USA cycling.

There are also UCI races that technically Cory could have raced where Justin most likely would need an invite, but they are if not all over seas so not really sure that mattered much.
Old 02-08-21, 05:36 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by MakiNn
Race availability such as Nationals, for example Cory could have raced the US Pro national Race but Justin would have to be "invite" which he was but once he was told he couldn't bring his team he said no to USA cycling.

There are also UCI races that technically Cory could have raced where Justin most likely would need an invite, but they are if not all over seas so not really sure that mattered much.
That is why I didn't understand the laugh. He was not limited outside of a registered team wanting him. He wanted to bring his team and his team was not admitted. Aside from National Championships (ITT), I don't think Cat 1 vs Pro matters. At the pro level, you need a team invite, as it is a team sport. I don't see any limitation there outside of the ITT. If a team want's you - they get you that category. A few USAC races used to allow independent Cat 1 racers, but most do the team thing.

For a Euro pro you just need to be employed by the team, if you don't have the rank, they call and get you the rank.