Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Website for accurate road gradients

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Website for accurate road gradients

Old 11-22-20, 08:50 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3884 Post(s)
Liked 1,936 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
according to the garmin site the model 200 and 25 do not have a barometric sensors.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/90675#specs
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/508489#specs

this is why in one of my earlier posts i mentioned model and vintage. looks like the latest collection of edges all have the sensor now.

looking over the garmin site the prices of these are not too bad. there might be an edge in my future now...
Yes, quite. As as I pointed out in #16, they won't all return the same elevation gain, period. Probably manufacturing tolerances in very small devices. I've been using my Edge for 10 years with no issues at all. Other than I wish the screen were larger and battery life longer, but those are greatly improved in the new models. Not gonna get perfection in this devices. I have a Polar watch with GPS and barometer and it's even worse.
Old 02-04-21, 09:42 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Okay - I found the site.....

VeloViewer - this is the site I was referencing
Old 02-18-21, 05:40 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
GPS altitude data is OK, but never great. For the curious, do some research on the ASTER Digital Elevation Model. I have quite a few altimeter / barometer apps on my phone, including one that reports ASTER altitude using GPS location lookups. It's also interesting to lock (calibrate) a barometer app to local airport readings (quite accurate), then get differentials computed for iPhone readout (Hunter Research makes one). All kinds of things to experiment with, but at the end of the day, you can get some good comparative / relative numbers for your rides, but nothing you'd use to land a plane. Not at a cyclist-friendly price, anyway.
Isn't it also significant that barometric pressure varies through the day, due to ... weather?