Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Eyes go semi-blind after long road ride.....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 02:46 PM
godsang

Bikes: Specialized S Works Safire, Specialized Ruby Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am starting my own post of this issue. My friend posted my situation for me, but now I've joined the forum and thought I'd put it out under my thread. I am a 36 year old female who rides 4-5 times per week. I'm in good health.

When I ride, I get this strange fogginess in my vision. It's like I'm wearing glasses that fogged up, only it's not the glasses. It encompasses the whole field of vision. I have no weakness, dizziness, faintness, or fatigue. I feel energetic and strong. I maintained a 16.9 avg for 67 miles the first time I got the clowdy vision. It lasted 10 minutes. The next time was after riding for 6.5 hours, 100 miles, 18.2 avg. The clowdy vision lasted a couple hours and I couldn't drive right away. My next 80 mile ride caused it as well. All these rides were in the summer/fall.

On all these rides, I was properly fueled with carbs the night before, carbs for breakfast, hydrated pre and mid ride. I never got the tunnel vision, cold sweats, and fainting that would come with a glucose crash. The clowdiness fades gradually over the next couple hours. Now that it cold out, I am mostly riding my mt bike in the woods. When I ride at night for 2 hours, I have a slight amount of clowdiness. I am beginning to wonder if the problem starts after only a short time of riding, but I couldn't tell in broad daylight. The headlights from cars as I drive home cause some blurriness and a halo effect. I wonder if it's part of the same problem.

After all these rides, my eyes feel moist. My contacts come out easily enough and the cloudy vision lasts even with the contacts out. So I don't think it's filmy coated contacts.

I had a full blood workup and my blood sugar level was tested. My thyroid was also tested. I saw a neuro-opthamologist and he did 2 hours of testing for glaucoma, peripheral vision, optic nerve scan, and a test for how my eyes lubricate themselves. I passed everything with normal results. He said, "You're fine. Go ride your bike." On the next 50 mile road ride, I saw that it was starting to happen again. I know what to look for now, so I can detect it on shorter rides.

A friend told me he knows someone who has exercise induced glaucoma. That's what prompted me to plan a ride and go immediately to the doctor post ride. This way, the doctor can see exactly what's happenning as the problem is occurring.

Has anyone heard of such a thing?
Old 01-22-10, 03:08 PM
RUOkie
Scarlet Knight

Bikes: 2009 ORBEA Onix Rival. 2012 Felt Breed, 1999 Raleigh 500

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
It sounds like you are approaching this correctly. The important thing is to r/o elevated intraocular pressure (exercise induced glaucoma). Like I said on your friend's post, another possibility is ocular migraine or basilar migraine. This is usually treated with beta blockers. Ask the optho doc about that as well. Good luck
Old 01-22-10, 04:53 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've had blurry peripheral vision in one eye after a long ride. It goes away, so I never looked into the cause or cure.
Old 01-22-10, 04:57 PM
JaceK

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 (Shimano DA), 2008 Kuota Khan (SRAM Red), 2009 Giant OCR2 ( Shimano 105 ), Lynsky R340 ( SRAM Rival )

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First cloudy Not Clowdy

Have you ever tried riding with glasses? I can't deal with riding with contacts, I lose vision in my right eye if I use contacts.
Old 01-22-10, 05:02 PM
JonnyUtah75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dumb question...but I'm assuming you're riding with sunglasses? I went on a 2-hour ride last week without any eye protection, and I had vision trouble for about 10 minutes afterwards.
Old 01-22-10, 05:19 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Is it like a film that covers your eyes? If so, at first does the film appear to sort of float around and cover part of your eye, and then eventually it covers the whole thing? Does stopping and rubbing your eyes make the film go away?
Old 01-22-10, 05:38 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Since it affects the entire field of vision uniformly, it is very unlikely to be migraine-related partial blindness (scintillating scotoma), as that typically produces completely blind spots with normal vision around the blind spots.
Old 01-22-10, 05:52 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
High or low blood sugar can cause similar symptoms. Did you have an A1c screen done with your blood work?
Old 01-22-10, 06:22 PM
Romans8:28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're not wearing glasses when riding (or ones that adequately block the wind), what you are describing is to be expected
Old 01-22-10, 06:49 PM
FL_MarkD

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have experienced trouble with my vision after riding, even with sunglasses. I am blind in my left eye, so I thought it was more 'strain' related to the right eye. I have found that using artifical tears after the ride greatly diminishes the problem. Even though my eyes do tear from the wind and you would think adding additional liquid is not the answer; the drops seem to help quite a bit. My symptoms usually lasted a few hours or until I took a nap and let my eyes rest.

I hope you find what is causing your problem and that you can continue to ride!

Mark
Old 01-22-10, 08:00 PM
nkfrench 

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Wind and low humidity can dry out your eyes and possibly cause some corneal swelling (causing the halo effect around streetlights). Wear sunglasses during day, clear/yellow safety glasses at night, blink often and keep hydrated. Try putting in some eyedrops / saline solution and see if that helps.

My eye doctor's office has a ceiling fan in the waiting room. I have to make sure I don't sit under it -- it dries my contact lens and eyes enough to make a noticeable difference on my vision test. Think sad thoughts if you don't have eye drops or eye protection handy.
Old 01-22-10, 08:06 PM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am surprised that with the vigor of your pursuit to an answer that nothing has come up. Keep looking - I have only had this happen once, and it was because I had not eaten enough, subsequently passing out (pulled over in time). Let us know if your immediate post-trip doc visit yields any positive results.
Old 01-22-10, 08:34 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've had this problem too, most recently on a couple of 200k brevets. I've noticed it in the past, but it wasn't as bad then, but on one of the more recent brevets, I wasn't able to drive home when I got back to my start point.

Everyone I've asked has said "It's dry eyes". I even asked on an eye-care website and the guy there said it was dry eyes. But, my eyes don't feel especially dry, and eyedrops don't seem to do a lot.

It's always been associated with coldish weather for me, never had it happen when it was hot and dry. The one ride where it was so bad, I was riding back into a stiff wind for about 7 hours.

I've got an appointment with the eye doctor Tuesday anyway, so I'll ask him, but don't expect to hear anything much different. I do plan to check into getting side-shield safety glasses or something like that to try to limit the wind. I wear glasses anyway, but the lenses are fairly small, so they don't do a whole lot to shield from wind.
Old 01-22-10, 08:38 PM
garethzbarker

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert 09, Custom 2013 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pull a long ride at night with glasses and see if it happens?
Old 01-22-10, 09:16 PM
aicabsolut

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do your eyes get red and swollen? Bike riding (wind, smog, allergies) trigger an allergic conjunctivitis type reaction which can affect my vision some. It also makes my eyes feel pretty uncomfortable. Allergy drops that constrict the blood vessels help (used sparingly and w/out contacts in) as does taking something like Claritin.
Old 01-22-10, 11:29 PM
kf9yr

Bikes: 2011 Serotta Ottrott, Serotta TI Road Bike, Serotta TI MTB,Ritchey Breakaway Ti Cross, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Cannondale Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your problem does turn out to be your eyes drying out from the wind try sunglasses similar to these:

https://www.opticsplanet.net/wiley-x-...unglasses.html

They have a foam seal that keeps the wind out of your eyes. I have pollen allergies and these help to keep my eyes from drying out and itching as much as they do with normal sunglasses. I use the tinted lenses during the day and the clear ones at night.
Old 01-23-10, 05:11 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd say it sounds like you're going about this in the right way. Let us know what you find out.
Old 01-23-10, 09:48 AM
nahh
on your left.

Bikes: Scott SUB 30, Backtrax MTB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on actually going to the doctor, not just asking BFers. but...

This happens when I wear contacts and no sunglasses to ride. my eyes dry out, and at some point, the contacts are so dry they quit focusing. solution: wear glasses.

Also, i've had migraines a few times and you can get visual aura from those, ranging from little spots to huge vision blocks.
Old 01-23-10, 10:49 AM
emkdesign

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This happens to me too! Not as extreme as your describe though. There is a change in the way visuals get processed in my head, sort of like kinda spotty or lost of stadic almost. Its very very subtle, there though. The most aparent effect is tracers, like if you look at a bight object and then close your eyes there is a after image for much longer then normal. This makes driving at night hard if I just rode.

I don't know the cause but my guess would be something to do with either dopamine or serotonin being screwed with a little.

To me this seems linked to HPPD which i had for many years of my life but now only crops up when I drink caffine or go on very long rides. Might be worth a read of HPPD stuff out there.
Old 01-23-10, 10:57 AM
kh6idf

Bikes: Cervelo RS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get this cloudy vision after working outside in hot weather. If it's really hot and I am sweating and keep this up for a few hours, my vision gets cloudy and I have to remove my contacts. If I immediately put new ones in (I wear daily disposables) they fog up too. I have to wait 2 or 3 hours before I can put new ones in and my vision doesn't fog up. I haven't had any problems bike riding, but I just started in November and the hot season isn't here yet.
Old 01-24-10, 08:09 PM
godsang

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, I'm new on here, and I am really happy and surprised at how many people wrote posts about my condition. I really appreciate it!

I'll try to address the questions and points people brought up.

RUOkie, I am definitely going to ask about exercise induced glaucoma.

CdCf, I think you're right that it's not related to a migraine. I have had a migraine in the past and I saw the scintillating lights in one part of my vision, but this problem happens across my whole field of view.

Some mentioned having a problem in one eye, but mine is a problem with both. It's still happenning in colder weather, maybe even more than in warmer weather.

I have always ridden with glasses designed for cycling. They wrap around my head a bit, but they don't completely shield my eyes from the wind. They are tinted dark grey. I wear my contact as well. The contacts feel moist. I always put in eye drops during and after the ride, but they don't seem to help prevent or stop the fogginess. It doesn't seem like a film over my whole eye. Rubbing doesn't help. After the rides, I've looked in the mirror and no matter how close I lean, my vision is so blurry and foggy that I can't see what my eyes really look like. I took a picture of myself one time and they looked blood shot. The line between where the colored part ends and where the white part starts was blurred. There was no sharp line. I don't know if that was a film or if the colored part was leaking into the white part so to speak. That was why I brought up pigment dispersion....

If the eye dr doesn't figure it out, they next thing I will do is try riding with goggles that block the wind. I'll also try riding with my contacts out.

I dont' know if an A1c test was done with my blood work. It doesn't sound like the HPPD.

I will definitely let you all know what happens at my appointment.

Thank you!
Old 01-26-10, 05:26 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I just got back from having a regular checkup and all at the eye doctor. I asked him and he says "your corneas are getting dehydrated"- so dry eyes. He says the solution is wrap-around sunglasses. Those won't work well for me, so I'm going to try some side-shield safety-glasses and see how they work. On order now.
Old 01-27-10, 09:07 AM
godsang

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks StephenH,
My appt is on 2/1/10. I'll post an update then.
Angie
Old 01-27-10, 02:09 PM
FL_MarkD

Bikes: Serotta Fierte IT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One other quick note. My eye doc suggested to NOT use some the common over the counter eye drops, but rather use a high quality artificial tears. Some of the other drops contain agents that actually can increase the problem because they cause constriction in the eye. Check with your doc on what brand of drops they suggest. Yes I know they might 'push' the ones that they are paid to push, but spending a few dollars more each month to avoid this problem is worth it.

Mark
Old 01-27-10, 02:51 PM
Faust

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I haven't taken vitamins for a few days I have what I can only describe as a vision blocking corona effect. It usually starts right after I've looked out from a darkened area into brighter light. Looking back into the darker area that I'm in there appears to be a "C" shaped area blocking the center area of my vision. Opening or closing either eye and it remains. I asked my ophthalmologist and family doctor about it, however neither knew of anything like it. Fortunately, I found that if I take a multi-vitamin, within a half hour or so the problem disappears. My guess is that this problem is related to mal-adsorption due to my inability to digest gluten (celiac disease).

If you are not already taking a multi-vitamin, perhaps one prior to your next big ride would help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.