Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Have 60+ Vintage Steel Road Bikes and...

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Have 60+ Vintage Steel Road Bikes and...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-17, 10:28 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevindale
I appreciate that you came back to respond. The above section is about as far as I read in your response, and I just skimmed the rest. Here's what you don't seem to understand - the people who are responding to you and your ads LOVE steel bikes, and love vintage steel bikes in particular. Many of the folks here, I can promise you, know much more than you do about the history of steel racing bikes, the nuances of different steel tubing and geometry, and the quality, rarity, and desirability of different bike makers. Telling this group that they're wrong is like going to NASA and telling them you have a better plan for how to put a lander on Mars.

Markets are what markets are. Most markets are NOT about rarity, nor about history. Yes, we know that vintage bikes are undervalued by the general public. But the fact is, that general buying public decides what the market is, every time they choose to buy, or not to buy, what is offered. You don't understand this market. I have some artwork that I know is amazing. I wouldn't part with some of it for thousands of dollars. But if I go to sell it, I would have to accept pennies on the dollar relative to how I value that art.

There are simply more used good quality mass produced vintage steel bikes out there than there are buyers for those bikes. By a wide margin. And the mismatch is probably growing every year, with only a handful of high prestige hand-made steel bikes doing reasonably well in that market. Ten years from now a nice Univega that sells now for $225 might have to be priced at $125 to sell. That's the world you live in, and your opinions can't change it.

As for the comparison with new steel bikes, you're being ridiculous. I can go spend thousands on a new steel Tommasini, or I can spend a quarter to a third of that on a used one in fantastic shape that is essentially the same thing. That's what the marketplace has collectively decided. And that's an extremely desirable steel bike, hand made, in Italy, by a master of the craft. I have nice examples of Panasonic and Univega and Bridgestone - nice bikes, well made, ride great. But they're mass produced Japanese bikes, literally made by the millions. They are not rare, even if you personally haven't see them often. They are desired by a small group of people in the know, like this forum, because they're good bikes for low prices. The average bike buyer is very different - they're leery of buying an "outdated" bike that may have hidden damage, that has weird downtube lever thingies, that has all these ball bearings that need to be serviced regularly, that have spots of oxidation and rust and paint chips, that doesn't have a warranty, that is being sold out of some guy's garage who is obviously giving a very hard sell. That's just the reality.

Maybe I missed it in your very long counter argument, but again, how many of these bikes that you've been listing in the last few weeks at these high prices have you sold at or near your asking price?
Save
I wouldn't bother with a serious response or counter argument to be honest. First, it's his problem, or more likely the problem of whoever his kids hire to clean this "collection" out. Second - someone who actually thinks that non-sense isn't going to get it. He obviously knows more than "sheeple" like us.

Since I'm sure we all believe that he's able to get these prices and knows more than we do, what we should be doing is offering to let him sell our bikes for us with a consignment!
Old 09-06-17, 10:34 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'm in the Richmond VA area. Some of the sellers bikes have come up in my searches of the VA/surrounding area. I've had an interest in some of them, but the prices are so outrageous that you move on and find a similar bike elsewhere. The prices are so high there is no reason to even inquire. You can find them for about 1/3-1/2 the price. The blue Lotus Legend is a good example. Nice bike. I looked at that bike a lot, but I ended up with an 84 Legend Compe for $125 instead. It needed a little work, but a lot more rare because of the single year Campy group. The list goes on.

A Grand Premio just like the one in this thread - $150
MV Ironman and a Miyata 910 frame/fork/BB/HS together - $200
90/91 Team Miyata w/105 group - $200
82/83 one owner all original SR Semi Pro - $150

I still look at the blue Lotus from time to time. But at even 1/2 that price, It's not going to happen.
Old 09-06-17, 10:41 AM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
I'd like you to keep disagreeing, it's extremely interesting.

The rust, paint damage, zip ties and worn tires combined with the prices have me following this thread closely to see what pops up next. Thank you for taking the time to post.
I agree, he's very entertaining.

Hopefully he'll stick around... the collective knowledge here pales in comparison to his singular expertise and experience.
Old 09-06-17, 11:41 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
You know, 6 to 12 bikes is a nice collection. 60 bikes is a problem. Sorry but, it's likely most of them will eventually wind up at Goodwill.
Old 09-06-17, 12:04 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Sing Along!

1,2 and 3!

"Beautiful dreamer, you'll not sell to me,
Fujis and Univegas are waiting permanently for thee;
Sounds of the rude C&V world, heard in the day,
Lull'd by delusion have all pass'd away!
Beautiful dreamer, hoarder of bikes,
List them on CL at a ridiculous price;
Gone are the cares of basement's busy throng,
Beautiful dreamer, you'll not sell to me!"

-Apologies to Stephen Foster
Old 09-06-17, 12:18 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Interesting. We have a similar CL seller here in Northern VA. His descriptions of what he has done to the bikes he has for sale are exhaustive and emphasize that they were 'pro tuned'.

However, the majority of his offerings are models and sizes that are off the beaten path popularity-wise, and the prices are...well, even to me (who tends to sell above premium stuff at a well above premium price)...overly optimistic to the point of wondering about his personal reality.

He's been advertising mostly the same bikes for year after year. So, there's a data point for you.
Old 09-06-17, 12:22 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Any other NBA fans reminded of Lavar Ball? We just don't get it because we ain't big ballers.
Old 09-06-17, 01:27 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Perhaps he didn't see the Nishiki International for $100 in Carlisle. Photo from wrong side but doesn't look that bad

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/bi...251403908.html

Buyer could take it and pay LBS to tune up and save a lot of money. There are a couple of others and they too are steel bikes and they are his competition....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
01515_955A1SMWLlP_600x450.jpg (51.7 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by WGB; 09-06-17 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-06-17, 01:37 PM
Kactus

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Any other NBA fans reminded of Lavar Ball? We just don't get it because we ain't big ballers.
Perfect analogy.
Old 09-06-17, 02:08 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mikey789
And, at 5-10 I don't ride your Fox-News-Approved 58cm, but 60 or 62 even. I do not STAND OVER bikes, I RIDE THEM! Can you stand over a horse ? Can you stand over a car ? I only need to be able to get on and off a bike, although 62 or 3 is as high as I'll go.
Unless the OP has an unusually short torso and unusually long legs, then these sizes are way too big. I'm 6'1" and used to ride 60cm frames in 1980's and early 1990's. Then I found out that was too big for me. At 5'10", I'd start at a 54cm/55cm and go up or down depending inseam and torso. I've heard of "french-fit" but 60cm to 63cm bikes are just a bit over the top of that concept for a 5'10" height person. But, hey don't listen to me. Get a bike fit on one of those bikes from a reputable shop and see what they say...
Old 09-06-17, 02:35 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Interesting. We have a similar CL seller here in Northern VA. His descriptions of what he has done to the bikes he has for sale are exhaustive and emphasize that they were 'pro tuned'.

However, the majority of his offerings are models and sizes that are off the beaten path popularity-wise, and the prices are...well, even to me (who tends to sell above premium stuff at a well above premium price)...overly optimistic to the point of wondering about his personal reality.

He's been advertising mostly the same bikes for year after year. So, there's a data point for you.
Somehow your description reminded me of that old TV ad for the yellow pages, where someone wants to create an ad for a guy named Al, whose business is "Al's Rug". As I recall, after the guy is told how successful the yellow pages ads are, he declines, since if he sells his one rug he won't have a business anymore. I wonder if some of these guys like to tell themselves they have a bike business, when really they just want to collect and tinker and be kings in their own tiny domains.

Originally Posted by ptempel
Unless the OP has an unusually short torso and unusually long legs, then these sizes are way too big. I'm 6'1" and used to ride 60cm frames in 1980's and early 1990's. Then I found out that was too big for me. At 5'10", I'd start at a 54cm/55cm and go up or down depending inseam and torso. I've heard of "french-fit" but 60cm to 63cm bikes are just a bit over the top of that concept for a 5'10" height person. But, hey don't listen to me. Get a bike fit on one of those bikes from a reputable shop and see what they say...
If you look at some of this gentleman's other ads, you'll see he's selling a 56cm bike, which is says is just right for someone 5'6" to 5'10". So he understands proper bike fit when he has a bike of average size, but when he's trying to move a 63cm bike, he sings a different tune and claims it's fine for someone 5'9" and up.
Old 09-06-17, 03:23 PM
rideandgoseek 

Bikes: 1974 Behringer Custom, 1975 Schwinn Paramount, 1975 Windsor Profesional, 1976 Gios Super Record, 1985 Schwinn Paramount, 1985 Trek 770, 1993 Holland Ti Custom, 2000 Tommasini Sintesi, 2001 Colnago C40, 2019 Canyon Grail AL 7.0

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mikey789
Ok, well, I've read all the replies.

I have to agree and disagree at the same time.

Yes, I agree an almost-NOS Univega like the Sportour is not as likely to sell for even the same as a beatup Colnago (had them sold them) but, do one thing - PRICE NEW STEEL BIKES.
* Steel is still the best material for a road bike. I can explain if you like as I've done 100 times.
* Vintage bikes are way undervalued. (lots of poo-poo'ing)
* New bikes are WAY overvalued. (Wall Street)
* New bikes and used bikes are normally bought by different groups of people for different reasons. I minored in psychology and have learned a lot in 60 years.
Same deal with the Gran Premio. They're failry rare IMHO, and although this one is not NOS, it has the rarer frameset with lug cutouts from what I read, It's pretty nice and rides just as well as the Colnago's I've had, maybe better. Tires, spoke tension, affect ride atleast as much as frame material I have found. Plus it's my only one If I could trade it for a 60 I'd do it and NEVER sell it. The headset rust (if that's the kind that won't remove) is a minor issue but maybe it's overpriced No probelm, easily fixed.
And, at 5-10 I don't ride your Fox-News-Approved 58cm, but 60 or 62 even. I do not STAND OVER bikes, I RIDE THEM! Can you stand over a horse ? Can you stand over a car ? I only need to be able to get on and off a bike, although 62 or 3 is as high as I'll go. I prefer a igher top tube as that is where I rest. Same as my motorcycles. I used to race MX, 100ft jumps, ESPN stuff though I never was Pro. Standover is the least important spec there is. Only in an emergency, off-road/MTB does standover matter at all. I find most folks who are bicyclers-only (not MC) and very 'conventional' need sloping top tubes and low standover heights as they don't really know IMHO how to get on and off a bike. And clip-ins ? Another falacy of US riders. Of course shoes are one of the reasons standover is important. One stupidity causes another in this case. Sorry, but I'm not going to tell you what you want to hear, bu tthe truth. PROS have been scientifically measured and they DO NOT PULL UP. FACT. Our knees are not designed to pull up. You'll pull the meniscus apart. Clip-ins are a 70'sleftover from racer-wannabees. Butthe LBS will sell you whatever they can. Who's to argue with money ? We never did. But, if someone were to ASK, then YES, use generic plastic pedals, not special shoes.
Yes, the season's winding down, this isn't the location to sell locally, but it is what I have to do. Ebay is the next project of course.
I seriously doubt anyone who's replied has sold more bikes than I have the past 8 years...but that's a moot point as all suggestions are welcome and considered.
And if someone wants to buy another bike in the exact same cosmetic condition, but without rebuilt hubs, bottom brackets, headsets, trued & tensioned wheels, DTCs, and the other 50 things I do to most bikes, LET THEM !
I've ridden hundreds of bikes, and just rebuilt wheel bearings and BBs will do wonders for ease of riding. I've had more than one person ask, "do you have any bikes that are harder to pedal,as this one is too easy" Then I have to explain why 95% of bikes on CL are junkers. Also, with a storage area, instead of commercial RE prices, I can avoid the urgency and remember that selling 1 or 10 bikes will not matter,I can focus on what I sell and what I keep. Even after selling 50, I'm still keeping 50. And unless I find another Gran Premio in 60cm (which I prefer even at 5-10 - do you want to know why ?)

In any case, I appreciate all comments, but don't neccessarily agree. I've been doing this way too long to go along just to be part of the group.

BTW, Chrome sux IMHO. I was in IT for 40 years, and Chrome sux. It's the website that's causing the problem, not the Browsers. Advetising is ok and we all expect some, but this almost CONSTANT DLing of .tv stuff is web programmer who is out of control and should be fired IMHO.

BTW, these are not my 'keeper' bikes, but only bikes I'd be willing to part with.

There, is everyone PO'd now that I didn't agree like a SHEEPLE ?
This reads like a Trump tweet. Wish he would've kept it to 140 characters. Sad
Old 09-06-17, 06:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26404 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Old 09-06-17, 06:57 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

...the curse of genius is to live in a world populated by Philistines.
Old 09-06-17, 07:30 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Update! The guy in the DC area whose CL ads were eerily similar to the ones mentioned by the OP has announced that: a) he is moving, and b) that he has 50 or more bikes to sell.

So, maybe it's the same guy after all.
Old 09-06-17, 08:12 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Old 09-07-17, 03:44 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I seriously doubt anyone who's replied has sold more bikes than I have the past 8 years
Really? I seriously doubt that any of us has a real clue about how many bikes the other forum members have sold. How many do you think I have sold. Here is a little clue and then multiply by about six...

Old 09-07-17, 05:05 AM
0.2HP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Update! The guy in the DC area whose CL ads were eerily similar to the ones mentioned by the OP has announced that: a) he is moving, and b) that he has 50 or more bikes to sell.

So, maybe it's the same guy after all.
Similar ad also on Baltimore Craig's List.

When someone is wrong and strong and argumentative it is hard to try to or even want to try to understand what might be behind it. Sheldon Brown's list serve posts are a good role model on how best to respond to the posts like the one that started this thread.
Old 09-07-17, 07:56 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Originally Posted by Kevindale
If you look at some of this gentleman's other ads, you'll see he's selling a 56cm bike, which is says is just right for someone 5'6" to 5'10". So he understands proper bike fit when he has a bike of average size, but when he's trying to move a 63cm bike, he sings a different tune and claims it's fine for someone 5'9" and up.
That's outright disingenuous. OP, either you try your best to give the correct sizing information or don't give it at all.
Old 09-07-17, 08:13 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
I was about to argue the selling amount until Randy posted his pic, I'll keep my mouth closed on this topic.
Old 09-07-17, 08:19 AM
ptempel

Originally Posted by 3alarmer

...the curse of genius is to live in a world populated by Philistines.
This reminds me of a quote that my co-worker's grandmother would say. "If you have trouble with a few people, then maybe its them. If you have trouble with most people, then maybe its you."
Old 09-08-17, 06:57 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
So BBC now has a NE branch office. Cool!

I've sold over 600 bikes in the last 11 years but I have no doubt Randy has sold a lot more, and all over the world.

I'm tapering off this year on purpose to bring some sanity to this hobby.
Old 09-08-17, 02:03 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I've sold over 600 bikes in the last 11 years but I have no doubt Randy has sold a lot more, and all over the world.
In all fairness to others, sometimes I sell a hundred+ bikes at a time, to commercial buyers. And I broker deals for other collectors who want to sell in bulk(I don't charge for doing this, but have been known to accept donations for my time and effort).

These days, I might let one of my bikes go, if something more interesting happens to come my way, but selling is not a priority anymore. Having fun with my bikes is my only goal these days, however...

Thanks to a 1973 Peugeot PX10E and 1958 Rabeneick 120D having been picked up this year and lacking storage space, something in my collection has to go. What is going on the block? My late sixties or early seventies all chrome plated and fully rebuilt Torpado(I have too many old Italian bikes at the moment). Watch for it on Ebay(have not sold anything on Ebay for a few years but might give it a try again - hope it is not as disappointing as it came to be a few years ago).

Old 09-08-17, 02:59 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
That torpado is sweet! Nice lug work there.
Old 09-08-17, 04:33 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
My late sixties or early seventies all chrome plated and fully rebuilt Torpado(I have too many old Italian bikes at the moment). Watch for it on Ebay(have not sold anything on Ebay for a few years but might give it a try again - hope it is not as disappointing as it came to be a few years ago).

What size is that? I'm drooling with just the head tube pic

Aside from that, I keep turning to this thread hoping for more entertainment -- it is less depressing than watching the weather channe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.