Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What geometry makes a bike more "drop bar MTB" and less "fat tire road bike"?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-18, 02:02 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Like the title says. In reviews and marketing stuff, you hear about how one bike is a great road bike for unpaved roads, while another is nearly an old-school rigid MTB with some road manners.

But when you look at the geometry, it's nearly identical. Maybe .25, .5 degree difference in head tube angle, maybe a maximum of 10mm difference in bottom bracket drop, stack or reach to bikes described differently. Fork rake usually the same, chainstays are all over the place.

But a lot of that is variable with your setup, barring bottom bracket drop.

So what's the big difference here? Is it down to tire clearance Because the geometry and marketing gets pretty blurry across brands.
Old 02-21-18, 02:11 AM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Consider the geometry of, for example, the Salsa Fargo.

Originally Posted by Sullalto
Like the title says. In reviews and marketing stuff, you hear about how one bike is a great road bike for unpaved roads, while another is nearly an old-school rigid MTB with some road manners.

But when you look at the geometry, it's nearly identical. Maybe .25, .5 degree difference in head tube angle, maybe a maximum of 10mm difference in bottom bracket drop, stack or reach to bikes described differently. Fork rake usually the same, chainstays are all over the place.

So what's the big difference here? Is it down to tire clearance Because the geometry and marketing gets pretty blurry across brands.
Old 02-21-18, 02:27 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Sullalto

That's a good chunk of it.

A lot of what's left is probably the shape of the front end. Bikes aiming to feel more like road bikes tend to have steeper head angles and/or more offset, and handlebars that are fairly narrow and road-like; bikes that aim to feel more like mountain bikes tend to have more steering trail, and might use wider handlebars with more flare to offer wide hand positions with more flat-bar-like wrist angles.
Old 02-21-18, 08:11 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
gravel and mountain bikes tend to be longer, lower, slacker.

+10mm chain stays, - 10mm BB, -1.0 degree head tube angle (all highly variable).

you are right, there isn't much difference.

For me, the difference is rider position and tire size. But all new designs take 40mm tires. Bikes intended to go over 20mph are going to have less stack and lean me over more (usually with a shorter head tube).

I'm not sure the small differences in geometry make much difference, as the human body is highly adaptable. Although I do avoid a low BB because I hate pedal strike and like powering out of a corner (or jumping logs).
Old 02-21-18, 08:23 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
The lines get blurry. Simple test IMHO YMMV NTYTAWWT:

1) What is the designed front-fork axle-crown measurement? Road-based bikes will be ~400mm +/-10mm or so. MTB will be more in the realm of 490mm realm, with a shorter head tube.

You might also consider BB standard basis (68mm road versus 73mm MTB)...but which is chosen tends to follow the axle-crown used. But only "tends to", as always "gravel" bikes are a very loosely defined area best summarized as "run what ya brung".
Old 02-21-18, 08:45 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Head angle is one big difference.

Look at the Salsa Fargo. That is something I would consider a true drop bar mountain bike. It has a 69deg HA on most sizes.

Compare that to my bike, a Soma Fog Cutter which is in my view a fat-tire road bike (as opposed to a gravel bike). HA on those are mostly 73deg.

That is a huge difference.

I imagine bikes marketed a “gravel” bike are going to span a wide area between these two extremes.

In my mind “fat-tire road bike” means a bike with pretty standard “road” geomentry (though maybe not racing geo), but with bigger tires. “Gravel” to me indicates that the geometry is more geared toward stability on loose conditions.

However, there are no set standards, so bike companies will market bikes however they see fit.

It is similar to some mountain bike descriptors such as “XC” “Trail”, “All Mountain” and “Enduro”. There is a lot of overlap and nobody defines them quite the same. Yet the basics are generally understood.
Old 02-21-18, 09:54 AM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 116 Posts
It's tire clearance and all the design compromises to fit tires wider than about 50mm. Usually to fit tires that wide the bb will be 73mm and/or the chainstay must be designed specifically to accommodate road size chainrings. Most often mountain cranks or 1x will be used. Also a front derailleur designed to clear fatter tires will be used. Tubing type, diameter and butting profile are some other factors. A bike designed with MTB theme will ride significantly different than a bike with road/dirt road theme.

The main thing IMO is intent. Categories may be blurry and be hard to pin down on the consumer end, but the person designing the bike absolutely has specs for which they will apply to anything considered a road bike, a dirt-road bike or a mountain bike. Mainly because the CPSC mandates it as so, there is a ASTM International specification for the terrain bikes are meant to handle. Here is a link with the explanation. And here is a link to the CPSC webpage.

Fat tire road bikes/All road bikes/Gravel Bikes are mostly going to be designed with lighter tubing that is more flexible, as well as a lighter fork.
Old 02-21-18, 10:24 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I just love riding my 1994 mongoose with drops seg up is comfy feels stable fast bombproof on the road setupvery near to road bike. Riding 2.1 will drop ti 1.75 next fun fun fun bike.
Old 02-22-18, 10:26 AM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
I'd add that if you're on the short end and looking at the geometry of your size (rather than the middle of the range) you may be seeing the compromises made to make those sizes work with wheel size+tires driving the geometry towards being all the same. (Especially if they're sticking with 700c in the small sizes.)
Old 02-23-18, 01:38 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by antimonysarah
I'd add that if you're on the short end and looking at the geometry of your size (rather than the middle of the range) you may be seeing the compromises made to make those sizes work with wheel size+tires driving the geometry towards being all the same. (Especially if they're sticking with 700c in the small sizes.)
I'm on the other edge of the spectrum, but you're right-that's something I overlooked, and happens at both ends of the size spectrum.