Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 02-18-20, 12:53 PM
  #5751  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 34,293

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5326 Post(s)
Liked 1,016 Times in 548 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
To whom it may concern,

People are weird.

Respectfully,


Rjones28
Speaking of respect,
For a fun drinking game, watch Designated Survivor, and have everyone down a shot whenever a character says "With all due respect"
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 01:08 PM
  #5752  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 26,949
Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 3,024 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I am not in the loop. Apparently both closed just over 1 month ago. Still sad.
From what I read in a Facebook post the owner put everything he had into it but could not make it work.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 01:26 PM
  #5753  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,364

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12260 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 780 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
From what I read in a Facebook post the owner put everything he had into it but could not make it work.
Q: How do you make a million dollars with a bike shop/cafe?
A: Start with 2 million.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is online now  
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-18-20, 02:11 PM
  #5754  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,364

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12260 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 780 Posts
I have a "funny" problem on the Roubaix, I wonder if anyone has some suggestions.

Issue is the FD sometimes takes some time to drop from big ring to little ring. It invariably is well into a ride, it NEVER happens in the first hour on the road. But an hour or two into a ride, it will sometimes take a few seconds or even several seconds to finally drop onto the small ring. I checked the cable and pivot points, all are nice and smooth/lubed. In the stand, it shifts up/down crisply. Even if I put it in the big ring at night, next morning it will drop onto the small ring without delay.

Any ideas???
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is online now  
Old 02-18-20, 02:21 PM
  #5755  
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger
 
Pirkaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,075

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I have a "funny" problem on the Roubaix, I wonder if anyone has some suggestions.

Issue is the FD sometimes takes some time to drop from big ring to little ring. It invariably is well into a ride, it NEVER happens in the first hour on the road. But an hour or two into a ride, it will sometimes take a few seconds or even several seconds to finally drop onto the small ring. I checked the cable and pivot points, all are nice and smooth/lubed. In the stand, it shifts up/down crisply. Even if I put it in the big ring at night, next morning it will drop onto the small ring without delay.

Any ideas???
Check the cable guide on the bottom bracket. Had a similar problem, found a glob of pine pitch.
Pirkaus is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 02:48 PM
  #5756  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,877

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 752 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I have a "funny" problem on the Roubaix, I wonder if anyone has some suggestions.

Issue is the FD sometimes takes some time to drop from big ring to little ring. It invariably is well into a ride, it NEVER happens in the first hour on the road. But an hour or two into a ride, it will sometimes take a few seconds or even several seconds to finally drop onto the small ring. I checked the cable and pivot points, all are nice and smooth/lubed. In the stand, it shifts up/down crisply. Even if I put it in the big ring at night, next morning it will drop onto the small ring without delay.

Any ideas???
Can you see if the derailleur end of the cable goes slack next time? If not, cable; if so, mech.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 04:46 PM
  #5757  
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses
 
seedsbelize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tixkokob, Yucatán, México
Posts: 13,797

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6180 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 348 Posts
I learned about gripshifters today. Sram, I think. How to re cable. And rebuild. A lot simpler than the last one I looked at lo those many years ago

Last edited by seedsbelize; 02-18-20 at 04:53 PM.
seedsbelize is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 05:06 PM
  #5758  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 27,603

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7681 Post(s)
Liked 1,077 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
We had a candidate for a highly competitive training position this year who we eliminated from consideration because one of his referees characterized his behavior in the clinic as ‘sychophantic groveling mixed with passive aggressive arrogance’. Wow good to know.

(I would personally have refused to write a letter for the fellow if that’s what I was planning to say. But that’s just me.)

Of course the candidate contacted us after the fact to express surprise that he didn’t get the position, he was so confident his interview had gone well. He ‘requested’ an explanation.

”The applicant pool was very strong this year. Good luck to you in your future endeavors.”
. . . “and **** off, arrogant prick.”
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 05:14 PM
  #5759  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 27,603

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7681 Post(s)
Liked 1,077 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
From what I read in a Facebook post the owner put everything he had into it but could not make it work.
That’s cuz @datlas never bought nothing when he stopped by for a rest. Sad.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Likes For BillyD:
Old 02-18-20, 05:31 PM
  #5760  
berner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bristol, R. I.
Posts: 4,162

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked 357 Times in 228 Posts
This winter seems to be dragging. I'm ready for warm temps and sweet young thangs in bikinis. As a reminder that there are still people out there having fun in the sun, I've been watching sailing videos. The link is of one such group of friends who have been sailing around the world for a number of years. In the video they anchor off a deserted tropical island in the Indian Ocean.
berner is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 05:36 PM
  #5761  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,364

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12260 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 780 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Can you see if the derailleur end of the cable goes slack next time? If not, cable; if so, mech.
May be a challenge. Happens when riding and lasts 10-30 seconds so by the time I stop to check, it’s over. But riding the Roubaix tomorrow, will try to observe.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is online now  
Old 02-18-20, 06:23 PM
  #5762  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,888

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked 808 Times in 374 Posts
I went on a ride and did not coast. I tried to once. It didn't work.

abshipp is online now  
Likes For abshipp:
Old 02-18-20, 07:13 PM
  #5763  
2manybikes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 17,884

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
May be a challenge. Happens when riding and lasts 10-30 seconds so by the time I stop to check, it’s over. But riding the Roubaix tomorrow, will try to observe.
I had a bottle of fruit punch in a bottle that only leaked a few drops. It went down to the BB and then around to the BB cable guide.
It got into the small space between the BB shell and the top of the cable guide. It dripped down to the cable where it touches the guide and would cause sticking. I would clean off what I saw, and then go for a ride and the punch would come back to the cable again. If you're careful and make both cables slack by shifting without spinning the pedals, you should have enough slack to very carefully unbolt the guide and clean the top of the guide, and where it was on the BB shell. Get a lot of slack by putting the chain in the big big position, then click without pedaling all the way to the end of the cogs and rings. Wipe the cables down where they slide in the groove, and the groove.

If there is nothing else wrong with your shifting, you can go back later slacken the cables again, and, use the tip of a pencil and rub the sides and bottom of the groove and the cable all over. If there's nothing else wrong you might get the best shifting you ever had. It wears off in a few long rides, but you can reapply the graphite as much as you want. Over time the cable can wear a half pipe shape under were the cable goes, and more of the cable is hitting the guide creating more friction. A new guide is an easy way to get better shifting if the old one is worn.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 02-18-20 at 07:30 PM.
2manybikes is offline  
Old 02-18-20, 07:58 PM
  #5764  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,364

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12260 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 780 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
I had a bottle of fruit punch in a bottle that only leaked a few drops. It went down to the BB and then around to the BB cable guide.
It got into the small space between the BB shell and the top of the cable guide. It dripped down to the cable where it touches the guide and would cause sticking. I would clean off what I saw, and then go for a ride and the punch would come back to the cable again. If you're careful and make both cables slack by shifting without spinning the pedals, you should have enough slack to very carefully unbolt the guide and clean the top of the guide, and where it was on the BB shell. Get a lot of slack by putting the chain in the big big position, then click without pedaling all the way to the end of the cogs and rings. Wipe the cables down where they slide in the groove, and the groove.

If there is nothing else wrong with your shifting, you can go back later slacken the cables again, and, use the tip of a pencil and rub the sides and bottom of the groove and the cable all over. If there's nothing else wrong you might get the best shifting you ever had. It wears off in a few long rides, but you can reapply the graphite as much as you want. Over time the cable can wear a half pipe shape under were the cable goes, and more of the cable is hitting the guide creating more friction. A new guide is an easy way to get better shifting if the old one is worn.
Thanks. I looked carefully and the guide under BB looks clean and smooth, but I saw some crud/debris in the track above BB where cable goes through BB shell. I cleaned it out with some citrus degreaser abs put a couple drops of fresh chain lube on the cable so it would drip down. Maybe that will help. Will report on results after tomorrow’s ride.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is online now  
Old 02-18-20, 08:11 PM
  #5765  
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike
 
Heathpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 12,575

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 697 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4441 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 149 Posts
BTW, we got an offer on the boat. Kind of a lowball offer so it’s unclear how motivated the (potential) buyers are. Some other guy flew in from out of town to look at her, and now he’s flying back in with his wife. Supposedly this week.

Broker says there’s a third party sniffing around but no set plan to come take a look.

Weird because weve we’ve only had three parties look at it in 3 months on the market and now three in a week.

I guess people are itching to go sailing. #springiscoming
Heathpack is offline  
Likes For Heathpack:
Old 02-19-20, 03:55 AM
  #5766  
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger
 
Pirkaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,075

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
BTW, we got an offer on the boat. Kind of a lowball offer so it’s unclear how motivated the (potential) buyers are. Some other guy flew in from out of town to look at her, and now he’s flying back in with his wife. Supposedly this week.

Broker says there’s a third party sniffing around but no set plan to come take a look.

Weird because weve we’ve only had three parties look at it in 3 months on the market and now three in a week.

I guess people are itching to go sailing. #springiscoming
You know how the saying goes. The two best days of a boat owner's life, the they buy it, and the day they sell it.
Good luck with the sail.
Pirkaus is offline  
Old 02-19-20, 05:32 AM
  #5767  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,877

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 752 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Thanks. I looked carefully and the guide under BB looks clean and smooth, but I saw some crud/debris in the track above BB where cable goes through BB shell. I cleaned it out with some citrus degreaser abs put a couple drops of fresh chain lube on the cable so it would drip down. Maybe that will help. Will report on results after tomorrow’s ride.
I have had a FD cable get very sticky there too, even without fruit punch. It responded well to a dab of vintage Campagnolo grease.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 02-19-20, 05:35 AM
  #5768  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,877

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 752 Posts
New, grown-up, rhetorical gambit for discussing bike purchases with long-suffering spouse: “I’ll spare you the self-serving arguments and tiresome rationalizations.” Totally worked this morning.
MoAlpha is offline  
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-19-20, 06:06 AM
  #5769  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 32,364

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 456 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12260 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 780 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
New, grown-up, rhetorical gambit for discussing bike purchases with long-suffering spouse: “I’ll spare you the self-serving arguments and tiresome rationalizations.” Totally worked this morning.
Kudos.

What are you getting??
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is online now  
Old 02-19-20, 06:41 AM
  #5770  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 1,519

Bikes: Cervélo C2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 248 Posts
Found a free shimano 9 speed cassette

First day back at button school today. Nervous as hell, more because I have no Idea what to expect than anything. It really sucks when you are studying an airplane, and the one you flew previous keeps popping into mind. Other than the fact they had wings nothing about them is similar.

Have a great day everybody.
bampilot06 is offline  
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 02-19-20, 06:56 AM
  #5771  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 29,882

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 336 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12989 Post(s)
Liked 2,468 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
New, grown-up, rhetorical gambit for discussing bike purchases with long-suffering spouse: “I’ll spare you the self-serving arguments and tiresome rationalizations.” Totally worked this morning.
When do the wheels arrive?
WhyFi is online now  
Old 02-19-20, 07:18 AM
  #5772  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 1,888

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked 808 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
Found a free shimano 9 speed cassette

First day back at button school today. Nervous as hell, more because I have no Idea what to expect than anything. It really sucks when you are studying an airplane, and the one you flew previous keeps popping into mind. Other than the fact they had wings nothing about them is similar.

Have a great day everybody.
Good luck!

Just remember, they selected you to fly it, so they're obviously confident that you'll be able to learn it!
abshipp is online now  
Old 02-19-20, 07:20 AM
  #5773  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 1,519

Bikes: Cervélo C2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Good luck!

Just remember, they selected you to fly it, so they're obviously confident that you'll be able to learn it!
thanks!
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 02-19-20, 07:23 AM
  #5774  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 27,603

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7681 Post(s)
Liked 1,077 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
New, grown-up, rhetorical gambit for discussing bike purchases with long-suffering spouse: “I’ll spare you the self-serving arguments and tiresome rationalizations.” Totally worked this morning.
I have that issue with photography stuff, not cycling stuff.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 02-19-20, 07:24 AM
  #5775  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 5,877

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 752 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
Kudos.

What are you getting??
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
When do the wheels arrive?
I have only begun clearing the mental way to getting them.

They are still in the possession of the wheeler-dealer guy who sold me the R3. He lives only a mile away and actually has three new wheel sets for sale: PRC 1450 (1075), 1400 (1300), and 1100 (1500). Much to think about.
MoAlpha is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.