Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 03-27-20, 04:46 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
I survived another day of telemedicine. A few visits had technical problems and I had to downgrade to phone visits. Phone visits are not as good because you can’t see the patient (one of them had ankle pain and I could not isolate the cause or source without seeing it), but also the reimbursement for phone visits is peanuts, I think about $8 for a 15 minute visit.

After work I went for a solo ride. It’s sunny and mid 60’s, a beautiful spring day. I was doing hill repeats up the closest real hill, when a fancy orange convertible came beside me. It was one of my cycling friends! I told him he should be riding his bike.

I did not recognize what car it was, so after the ride I texted him to ask. He said it’s a Mclaren 720S Spyder. I told him it’s ok, but not quite a Saturn.
Old 03-27-20, 04:50 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Velo Vol
Guess things could have been different:
What could have been
People got killed by floats? wut
Old 03-27-20, 04:51 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
100°A. 25% humidity. With a light breeze. Been working outside all morning, getting a good dose of vitamin D
Nice.
Old 03-27-20, 04:52 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I survived another day of telemedicine. A few visits had technical problems and I had to downgrade to phone visits. Phone visits are not as good because you can’t see the patient (one of them had ankle pain and I could not isolate the cause or source without seeing it), but also the reimbursement for phone visits is peanuts, I think about $8 for a 15 minute visit.

After work I went for a solo ride. It’s sunny and mid 60’s, a beautiful spring day. I was doing hill repeats up the closest real hill, when a fancy orange convertible came beside me. It was one of my cycling friends! I told him he should be riding his bike.

I did not recognize what car it was, so after the ride I texted him to ask. He said it’s a Mclaren 720S Spyder. I told him it’s ok, but not quite a Saturn.
I might pay 400 k for a boat, but a car?
Old 03-27-20, 04:58 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
If you are unfamiliar with "Hobart's Funnies," they were a series of modifications to some tanks that a British general came up with during World War II to provide combat engineering capabilities to armored units to help break out from the beaches of Normandy on D-Day and thereafter.

One of these was a modification of the Churchill tank that included it carrying a large bundle of sticks, called a fascine. This bundle of sticks, or bundle of fasces if you like, could be dropped into a ditch to provide a way for other tanks to drive across it, defeating the ditch as an anti-tank obstacle. Hence the ironically poetic notion that fascist tanks helped defeat the Nazis during World War II.

A "fascist" tank.
That gets added to my awesome useless knowledge database.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 03-27-20, 05:00 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by ksryder
Hey all! Haven't been on BF for a while. How are we all doing? Have I missed anything? Business as usual right?
My eyes are watering quite a bit today.
Old 03-27-20, 05:03 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Quite a few of the larger parades have tandem floats, with two floats hitched together and that space is a huge blind spot for the tractor driver pulling the floats. It is generally understood that one should not try to cross the street by hopping between tandem floats at that hitch point (which could be tempting to do when the parade is paused for a moment). At least one of these people tried, for whatever reason, to do that and was unsuccessful. I don't remember the specifics of the other accident.
Old 03-27-20, 05:07 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Quite a few of the larger parades have tandem floats, with two floats hitched together and that space is a huge blind spot for the tractor driver pulling the floats. It is generally understood that one should not try to cross the street by hopping between tandem floats at that hitch point (which could be tempting to do when the parade is paused for a moment). At least one of these people tried, for whatever reason, to do that and was unsuccessful. I don't remember the specifics of the other accident.
Sad. Marching bands are a danger-free parade family favorite.
Old 03-27-20, 05:12 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I might pay 400 k for a boat, but a car?
IKR

He is quite humble but apparently made a fortune when he took his company public. He is now retired and divides his time between cycling, golf, and serving on some boards. Has a house in Mallorca and one in Sweden too. I asked if he wants to adopt me but he declined.
Old 03-27-20, 05:31 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,228 Posts
There are two great reasons why horses aren't allowed on the local MUP.

Reason #1 :

Reason #2 : I bet you can guess
Old 03-27-20, 05:33 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
IKR

He is quite humble but apparently made a fortune when he took his company public. He is now retired and divides his time between cycling, golf, and serving on some boards. Has a house in Mallorca and one in Sweden too. I asked if he wants to adopt me but he declined.
I know a few guys at that level fairly well, one very well, from sailing. All have spectacular boats and nice houses, but not one of them drives a six figure car. Chacun à son goût.

One was a pretty successful bike racer back in the 70s. I would not call any of them exactly humble, but they're all good people.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 03-27-20 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-27-20, 05:43 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,634 Times in 2,700 Posts
If the federal government would have told them floats may kill someone, they likely would have cancelled the parade.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-27-20, 05:50 PM
LAJ
So it is

McLaren makes a pretty sweet car.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 03-27-20, 05:53 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
McLaren makes a pretty sweet car.
I love the old F1. The newer street cars don't get me going as much. It's all irrelevant to purchasing one, of course.
Old 03-27-20, 05:56 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Looks like You have some interesting friends datlas
Old 03-27-20, 05:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
Me this afternoon in the grocery store to an impatient fellow who kept creeping closer to me in line: “Should we get you a tape measure? I’m six two if you need a frame of reference.” Elicited only a laugh.

Sad.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-27-20, 06:02 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Me this afternoon in the grocery store to an impatient fellow who kept creeping closer to me in line: “Should we get you a tape measure? I’m six two if you need a frame of reference.” Elicited only a laugh.

Sad.
I have yet to see what the hurry is. No one has anywhere to go, and it's not like it'll take a long time to get home.
Old 03-27-20, 06:06 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
If you are unfamiliar with "Hobart's Funnies," they were a series of modifications to some tanks that a British general came up with during World War II to provide combat engineering capabilities to armored units to help break out from the beaches of Normandy on D-Day and thereafter.

One of these was a modification of the Churchill tank that included it carrying a large bundle of sticks, called a fascine. This bundle of sticks, or bundle of fasces if you like, could be dropped into a ditch to provide a way for other tanks to drive across it, defeating the ditch as an anti-tank obstacle. Hence the ironically poetic notion that fascist tanks helped defeat the Nazis during World War II.

A "fascist" tank.
Hahahahaha
Old 03-27-20, 06:17 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by abshipp
There are two great reasons why horses aren't allowed on the local MUP.
That looks like dirt.
Old 03-27-20, 06:18 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I just Stravaed a walk and it doesn't appear on the leader board. wut
Old 03-27-20, 06:22 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

And bampilot06 ? has a walk that is posted.

Someone investigate!
Old 03-27-20, 06:25 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
If the federal government would have told them floats may kill someone, they likely would have cancelled the parade.
I could be misinterpreting this, but not for nothing- hind sight is 20/20. New Orleans' economy is basically dependent on tourism, and Mardi Gras is one of the biggest draws of the year. There's a lot of problems with my state's government and New Orleans in particular, but the decision to cancel and then enforce that order on one of the mainstays of people's livelihoods when there wasn't a lot of information or widespread concern among the general public at the time about coronavirus would have been an impossible task without wider support at higher levels. I won't go further into politics here.
Old 03-27-20, 06:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,290 Times in 7,228 Posts
That looks like dirt.
#SomeMUPsAreDirt
Old 03-27-20, 06:28 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
As a physician, I managed to deal with fascicles and even full blown fascia without the taint rubbing off on me.
Different word, but appreciate the contribution nonetheless.

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
It does, and I dismiss most of those as well. And "fasc-" is nowhere near as common as "future". And "fascism" holds a special and highly-negative connotation for most people. A better example would be, say, if Rubik's Cube enthusiasts started a club called "Cubists" and adherents of Cubism got upset. Dadaists, on the other hand, would have a point, since "dada" is not usually used, at least by people older than, say, 2.
Well, I did say a little annoyed, not "upset," and that's really just because Futurism is largely unknown to the masses. Which is understandable and fine, but the annoyance comes from those actually using the term that don't have the first clue about it.

On appropriation, I agree that the less said the better, but imagine if the Italians started chiming in with all of the frankly dreadful things that have been done to their cuisine that is still marketed as "Italian"?

If you are unfamiliar with "Hobart's Funnies," they were a series of modifications to some tanks that a British general came up with during World War II to provide combat engineering capabilities to armored units to help break out from the beaches of Normandy on D-Day and thereafter...
Good stuff
Old 03-27-20, 06:29 PM
LAJ
So it is

I could be misinterpreting this, but not for nothing- hind sight is 20/20. New Orleans' economy is basically dependent on tourism, and Mardi Gras is one of the biggest draws of the year. There's a lot of problems with my state's government and New Orleans in particular, but the decision to cancel and then enforce that order on one of the mainstays of people's livelihoods when there wasn't a lot of information or widespread concern among the general public at the time about coronavirus would have been an impossible task. I won't go further into politics here.
Exactly. That's my point too. At the time, I don't think there was a lot out there, as Mardi Gras is like the middle of February, or so? Like you say, all the what if, and hindsight stuff, is pointless. Learn from it, and fix what we need to.
Likes For LAJ:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.