Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mojave, California.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Mojave, California.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 05:50 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Mojave, California.

Well, with all the goofing around I did before, around Needles and Laughlin, apparently I still haven’t got enough of this Mojave (or Mohave) stuff yet. 🤔😁 This time, I’m going from Lancaster, CA up Tehachapi-Willow Springs Road, towards Tehachapi and later Bakersfield.

It’s “only” about 30 miles, but up some long hills, through what they’re calling the high desert. At least that was the name of a winery I passed this morning, the High Desert Winery, so I guess that’s probably accurate. 🤔🙄

I saw Mojave on the map earlier, but it looked like it was off to the East a bit. But when I checked Accu-Weather a bit ago, it listed me as being in Mojave. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. 😁😉

Here’s a pic of some more wind turbines, since they’re all over the place here, and the long, hot road (89 F a bit ago).

Likes For stardognine:
Old 04-25-20, 06:58 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
I love that area! I've driven through there many time but never ride. Now that I live in WI it seems less likely that I'll ride it any time soon...

Sam
Old 04-25-20, 07:59 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

I’m not 100% sure, but I think I just saw 6 or 7 wild horses. 😎😁😎 If there’s a fence there, it looks like someone’s keeping the horses in the same field as the wind turbines. 🤔
And even if they belong to someone, they’re right next to being wild, it looks like. 👍 Pretty cool, either way. 🙂

I can’t see my phone that well, with the sun going down the way it is, so I’ll upload a few pics, so youse can see at least one or two.

Old 04-26-20, 12:31 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

OK, one last shot of the wind turbines, because they really are everywhere, out here. 🙄 And last but not least, this is either the tippy-top of the mountain, before the long downhill towards Summit, or I’m about to fall off of the world. 🤔😁😉

Old 04-26-20, 02:10 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 291 Posts
Awesome! What's the temperature?
Old 04-26-20, 04:28 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by mtnbud
Awesome! What's the temperature?
It hit 89F yesterday, in Mojave, but up North here in Tehachapi, it’s a nice cool 74F. 😎

I rarely ever get altitude sickness, but got several dizzy spells this morning, climbing that last darn mountain. You just need to take a lot of breaks, when that happens, and drink plenty of liquids. 👍

I found the Burger King, thank goodness, almost ready for my second Whopper. 😁
Likes For stardognine:
Old 04-27-20, 12:33 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Looks like a great trip. Are you having any problems with social distancing, etc.? How has the pandemic affected your tour? Can you share any advice that could help those of us who are trying to figure out a tour strategy.

Considering your luck with birds, I'd go for cover if you see any vultures or California Condors sailing around
Old 04-27-20, 01:36 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by Doug64
Looks like a great trip. Are you having any problems with social distancing, etc.? How has the pandemic affected your tour? Can you share any advice that could help those of us who are trying to figure out a tour strategy.

Considering your luck with birds, I'd go for cover if you see any vultures or California Condors sailing around
Without a doubt, the biggest issue is finding bathrooms, lol. 🙄 Followed by buying TP, but that’s not too bad. Once you have a roll, it should last quite awhile. 😁😉

No problems with aquiring food though. Plenty of restaurants sell food, to go only, as long as you’re wearing a face mask or bandana. I happen to have a cool Western design on my bandana, so fit into the country crowd fairly well. 😎

Actually, I’ve been going to regular grocery stores more, and eating better food for less money. 👍 I seem to have great luck too, on marked down deli foods, meaning their “sell by” date could be yesterday or today or tomorrow. It’s definitely not going bad yet, the stores just have to move things along. 🙂

As far as birds go, I’m fairly sure it was ravens that “nailed” me. There are a LOT of ravens around here, and they seem to like people on bicycles. I get a lot of them (off & on) flying around me, playing in the wind & stuff. 😎 I’m not sure why they’d poop on someone they like, lol, but maybe they have their reasons. 🤔😁😉
Old 04-27-20, 09:52 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I’m not 100% sure, but I think I just saw 6 or 7 wild horses. 😎😁😎 If there’s a fence there, it looks like someone’s keeping the horses in the same field as the wind turbines. 🤔
And even if they belong to someone, they’re right next to being wild, it looks like. 👍 Pretty cool, either way. 🙂
Once was touring past a big horse farm, I stopped to take a pic. A couple horses in the pasture, one wanted to walk over to the fence to visit but the other horse wouldn't let it, heh.