Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Computers

Old 06-03-20, 09:04 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by ckmak
No need to get butt hurt by my comments, I am just giving the OP my opinion. I am sure you know the Wahoo bolt does not have the navation functionality of the Edge 530 and Wahoo roam which I wanted. Auto rerouting was something I wanted. The Bolt's navagation system is comparable to the Garmin 130 for me. I am glad you are happy with your Bolt but i was not.
Wahoo units do decent turn-by-turn navigation, in that you can generate a course in RWGPS, download it and it'll navigate you with on screen turn directions. The Wahoo units lack a color screen and I don't think the on-screen direction method is as nice as what Garmin offers, which is in color and easy to read.

As this is a resurrected thread the answer to Junglelands post is that the Wahoo units have a nice zoom feature that increases text size, but reduces the number of data fields that are shown as it does that. Other and larger devices (that cost more) have larger text due to the increased screen size. Wahoo Roam is $380 and is the same size essentially as a Garmin Edge 830 ($399). Then the Edge Explore ($250) increases screen size even more to near the size of the 1030 ($500-$600). The larger the screen, the easier to see the text and map info. The Explore is a nice unit just doesn't have all the performance features (power meter, most fitness functions) etc... is more oriented to somebody doing bike tours.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 06-03-20, 09:13 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
here are some savings https://www.biketiresdirect.com/sear...2787a-75966517
Old 06-03-20, 09:15 AM
ckmak

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Rapid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Wahoo units do decent turn-by-turn navigation, in that you can generate a course in RWGPS, download it and it'll navigate you with on screen turn directions. The Wahoo units lack a color screen and I don't think the on-screen direction method is as nice as what Garmin offers, which is in color and easy to read.
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The is a difference in features (though, I wouldn't have used the word "fake").
The Bolt uses third party apps like RWGPS as you mentioned and Kamoot and also the conpanion app on the phone to give you similar funtionality but it is not a true navagation unit in my eyes as you can't use it by itself, which is why i said "fake". As I said previously the no automatic rerouting for me was the killer, I get sidetracked a lot when riding and often miss my turns so the computer being able to get me back on track was a feature I wanted.

I am not knocking the Bolt as it works for a lot of people and it is a lot easier to setup using the phone but it is not for me. My bro uses the Garmin 130 and feels that is all he needs so there we go.
Old 06-03-20, 09:55 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by ckmak
I am not knocking the Bolt as it works for a lot of people and it is a lot easier to setup using the phone but it is not for me. My bro uses the Garmin 130 and feels that is all he needs so there we go.
The problem is that "fake" is a characterization of the feature. Since it's a legitimate method for navigation and useful for many people, it's not really "fake" at all. It's useful in places where the unit can't calculate routes. (I use both methods at the same time.)

That you don't use (or like it) is fine but it does't make it "fake".

The term doesn't do much to help people understand what the difference is.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-03-20 at 10:03 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-03-20, 10:02 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Jungleland
Anyone with reading glasses use a bike computer? I am interested in the Wahoo Bolt but since I wear reading glasses (getting old), I wasn't sure how clear I could see the screen (not sure if it sits far enough away to see it clearly).
Why not consider the larger Elemnt then? Functionally identical except has two LED strips over the Bolt's single row.
Old 06-03-20, 10:27 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The problem is that "fake" is a characterization of the feature. Since it's a legitimate method for navigation and useful for many people, it's not really "fake" at all. It's useful in places where the unit can't calculate routes. (I use both methods at the same time.)

That you don't use (or like it) is fine but it does't make it "fake".

The term doesn't do much to help people understand what the difference is.
And the reason for my response to his post.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-03-20, 10:56 AM
Jungleland

Bikes: Trek Domane SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
Why not consider the larger Elemnt then? Functionally identical except has two LED strips over the Bolt's single row.
I am considering it but the extra $150 is more than I want to spend. I may go for the Garmin Edge Explore. I think I just need to duplicate the various text and map sizes and put it on my bike and ride around to see what font size is usable without reading glasses.
Old 06-03-20, 11:36 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I am considering it but the extra $150 is more than I want to spend. I may go for the Garmin Edge Explore. I think I just need to duplicate the various text and map sizes and put it on my bike and ride around to see what font size is usable without reading glasses.
I didn't realize the Elemnt was discontinued, but you can still find it at significantly less than $150 over the Bolt. https://www.eriksbikeshop.com/wahoo-...ter-pr3e7459/p
Likes For surak:
Old 06-04-20, 06:29 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Anyone with reading glasses use a bike computer? I am interested in the Wahoo Bolt but since I wear reading glasses (getting old), I wasn't sure how clear I could see the screen (not sure if it sits far enough away to see it clearly).
I don't wear reading glasses but at 73 my eyes are definitely not what they used to be. I had the same concern prior to purchasing my Bolt. What I did was to show up at a bike shops group ride. Since you'll will find all sorts of bike computers that are actually being used and not boxed up, explain what you want to do and ask some of the guys if they don't mind if you look at their computer. I didn't have anyone that told me "No." I settled on the Bolt for several reasons but one is that I can zoom the screen in to see what I need most. While I have 9 data fields on my workout page, I mostly use 4 and that's what I have the screen zoomed in to. The display is crisp and clear and I don't have any issues seeing it, even without my bifocals.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Likes For John_V: