Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Self-built vs Complete Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-20, 07:38 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts

In the $1500-2000 range, nearly everything is sub-par. Wheels, seatpost, stem, handlebar, and a cassette for flat roads.
Guess it depends what “par” is. If par is what comes on a more expensive bike, than sure. I mean, $3K bike parts are sub-par if you are used to $6K bikes.

If I ever buy a complete bike new, it'll be a motobecane parts bike.
Yeah, that thought has crossed my mind many times. I have experience with a few BD bikes (bought one lightly used and a few friends have bought them). Like you indicate, the wheels are the real weak spot.
Old 06-29-20, 10:44 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Par might be the wrong word since they all do it. Sub optimal?

Wheels that are a lower tier than the drivetrain and frame.
Old 06-29-20, 06:48 PM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
Guess I have to disagree with a lot of people here on the wheel front at least. Most gravel bikes that are not top end do come with heavy wheels, but they are strong at least, and that's all you really need to start riding lots. A heavy second wheelset with no aero properties is also perfectly good for mud tires that are ready to go when needed, or to use with a wheel-on indoor trainer.

As for the rest of the bike when considering frameset vs. complete build, you have to consider how much you want to change, the price difference, and what you could recoup from take-off part sales. You may also want to keep some of the replaced parts as spares, or to use on other bikes.
Old 06-29-20, 07:46 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by zen_
Guess I have to disagree with a lot of people here on the wheel front at least. Most gravel bikes that are not top end do come with heavy wheels, but they are strong at least, and that's all you really need to start riding lots. A heavy second wheelset with no aero properties is also perfectly good for mud tires that are ready to go when needed, or to use with a wheel-on indoor trainer.
You might be correct in that a typical gravel wheel is probably going to be a 23-25mm wide rim, which is inherently heavier and more durable than a factory wheel from 20 years ago, which was 20-21 mm wide. Maybe no better built but beefier. All a result of needing the width for tubeless gravel tires.

The WTB wheel that came on my 105 Alu Topstone has 700 miles on it and has never been touched. It’s a 28 spoke rim used by a Clyde as well.