Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trim on Ultegra front derailleur

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 12:51 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

I have a 2020 Cannondale Synapse with an Ultegra FD-R8000 front derailleur. The trim function works when on the small chain ring (low) but it does not seem to have a trim function when shifted on to the large chain ring (high). If I am in the high position (large chain ring) and give the lever a slight push to downshift I get a click, but the derailleur does not move (I expect this should provide a trim adjustment). If I give the lever a good push it will downshift directly to the small chain ring, but I cannot seem to get a trim adjustment when in the high position (large chain ring). I get the click but the derailleur does not move to a trim position.

I also have a 2013 Synapse with and Ultegra front derailleur which has a trim function in both the low and high positons.

I am wondering if the 2020 front derailleur is not set up properly or if this is normal function. Should a late model Ultegra FD-R8000 front derailleur have a trim position in both low and high positions similar to earlier models?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Old 07-01-20, 12:55 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I am not positive, but I am thinking you need to let your FD outer limit screw allow the FD cage to go out a smidge more.
Old 07-01-20, 12:56 PM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
Like you describe the trim function on the big chainring should work. This is probably a setup/adjustment fix. Make sure the two marks on the front derailleur adjustment are lined up according to the setup instructions. I would guess they are not, and the derailleur is hard against the outer limit stop when you are in the big chainring leaving no cable slack to move when you try to trim.
Old 07-01-20, 01:52 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,759 Posts
In addition to all above, IME the trim for the big ring is fairly subtle. I'd suggest shifting to big/big, listen for rubbing and see if it changes when you shift to the trim. I'd check this before you mess with anything else.
Old 07-01-20, 05:12 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
All good suggestions so far. I will try them out and post results.