Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are all cycling shoes narrow width?? Water bottle ??? too

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-13-15, 07:26 AM
dscobbie

Bikes: Trek 7.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wear size 12 shoes and have wide feet. I bought "Pearl iZUMi Men's X-Road Fuel II Cycling Shoe" off Amazon in a size 13 and I can wear them but I would rather have a better fitting shoe.

Also what is the best water bottle for keeping the water cool. My "Glacier" brand insulated bottles are good for about an hour before the ice is gone
Old 06-13-15, 09:14 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Bontrager makes a few shoes styles in a wide width. (I just bought a pair of the Velocis in wide.) Also, the specialized comp road comes in a wide. Giro makes a bunch of HV (high volume) shoes, and Sidi calls their wider widths "mega". There are more, but that's off the top of my head after my recent shoe size quest.

The he trick is finding a place to try shoes on. Good luck!
Old 06-13-15, 09:17 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
I have EEE 1/2 feet... finding comfortable well fitting shoes for these flippers has always been a bit of a challenge.

Touring shoes a half size up give me wiggle room and room for a slightly thicker sock which is good for riding in cooler temps. My road and mtb shoes are a tighter fit and only allow for a thin sock.
Old 06-13-15, 09:19 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked 538 Times in 371 Posts
I am fortunate to have fairly narrow feet, and so can't comment on your first issue, but regarding insulated bottles; I don't bother. The insulation reduces the capacity of the bottle, and I've found I'd rather have more water available than colder water. Drinking warm water doesn't bother me; it just needs to be wet and available in sufficient quantity to prevent dehydration.
Old 06-13-15, 09:44 AM
SpeshulEd 

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I find my Giro's to have plenty of room, however, I recommended them to someone else and they said they were too tight. Shoe's are tricky, might be best to go in and try some on and get a feel for different brands.

As for the water bottle. I'm a camelbak podium big chill user. I usually fill it about 1/3rd of the way full and then throw it in the freezer. Even in the Phoenix heat, I usually still have a bit of ice left after the first hour. If I'm going to be out for longer, I'll take a second one that has been frozen with a sport drink powder...usually frozen 2/3rds of the way, and that will give me a cold drink for another hour or so.

Old 06-13-15, 09:45 AM
Cross Creek

Bikes: 2013 Rivendell Sam, 1996 Bianchi Milano, 1994 Trek 820

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Drinking warm water may not be as satisfying going down, but it's much better for your body, especially when you're hot. In the Middle East, when we gave bottled water to native workers and soldiers, they would always set them in the sun to heat up. They didn't do it because they preferred the taste, they did it because they believed (with cultural evidence) that drinking ice cold water would make them sick, even kill them under the extreme heat of summer. I adopted their habit and haven't died yet
Old 06-13-15, 09:53 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 7335 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 599 Posts
Should be able to refill a large mouth bottle easily with water and ice at any fast food joint, and they are all over the place.

bottles with insulation layers will hold less water.. BITD a wet sock over a bottle, evaporated water to cool water in a bottle..
Old 06-13-15, 03:07 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Cross Creek View Post
Drinking warm water may not be as satisfying going down, but it's much better for your body, especially when you're hot. In the Middle East, when we gave bottled water to native workers and soldiers, they would always set them in the sun to heat up. They didn't do it because they preferred the taste, they did it because they believed (with cultural evidence) that drinking ice cold water would make them sick, even kill them under the extreme heat of summer. I adopted their habit and haven't died yet
I agree wholeheartedly. We are so used to cold drinks in North America that we cannot conceive drinking liquids at ambient temperature. Warmer water will not hurt you and will be better for your stomach when it it warm. Cooler liquids are better when applied externally
Old 06-13-15, 11:11 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 38 Posts
Pearl Izumi shoes generally have a bit less volume than many other brands, and as such, tend to fit narrower feet. Shimanos run a bit higher volume and can accomodate wider feet a bit better with the more recreational style shoes being even wider. Giro seems to be all over the place, but they have some models in wide widths that work well. Sidi (Mega models) and Lake shoes can be ordered in wide versions, too. I'm sure there are many other brands that offer wide models, but these are what I am familiar with.

Personally, I have EEEE wide feet and have a pair of Giro Privateers in the wide iteration and two pairs of Scott Boa models in regular widths (the only regular width shoe I have found to fit my fat foot).
Old 06-13-15, 11:27 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2277 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 481 Posts
Originally Posted by Cross Creek View Post
And: drinking cold water quenches your thirst. You stop drinking. Drinking warm water doesn't quench your thirst. You keep drinking. On very hot days, that can make a huge difference. I regularly down 1/3 to 1/2 a WB at a drink. Especially on the fix gear where I may go long stretches not wanting to take my hands off the bars. Being able to do huge drinks when I get the window can be a ride saver.

Ben
Old 06-14-15, 05:09 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Specialized offers many of their shoes in widths, and some models have more volume than others. Their new Audax shoe is both higher volume and offered in widths.
Old 06-14-15, 05:31 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dscobbie View Post
I wear size 12 shoes and have wide feet. I bought "Pearl iZUMi Men's X-Road Fuel II Cycling Shoe" off Amazon in a size 13 and I can wear them but I would rather have a better fitting shoe.
Please let me know if you are able to find a good shoe. I wear the same size (12 EE) and they're impossible to find.

Also, the benefit of drinking warm water has zero scientific support. Drink what you like and you'll do better. Period.
Old 06-14-15, 06:15 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 229 Posts
Your best bet is trying on various shoes in local bike stores. Getting advice from a forum on what others have is helpful but only you and your feet knows what works. You should have plenty of places local to choose from.
Old 06-14-15, 06:41 AM
rydabent

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 148 Posts
With EE wide feet I have railed for years against cycling shoe mfg. Narrow cycling shoes are to blame for most feet problems that are complained about.

Cycling NEEDS a shoe mfg to produce a reasonably priced cycling shoe.
Old 06-14-15, 07:41 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Drinking water at ambient temperature hydrates you faster, cold drinks have to be heated to body temperature before they can be absorbed and if you are working (physically) this diverts blood flow from the rest of the body.
Old 06-14-15, 08:26 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
I recently bought a pair of Bontrager RL mountain shoes that seem to fit my wide feet. They replace some Louis Garneau shoes that were not too bad. The only complaint about the Louis Garneaus was, they were kind of soft and flexy. That is a good thing on shorter rides where I find myself getting off the bike and walking a lot, but not so good on longer rides.
Old 06-15-15, 05:38 PM
Hokiedad4

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
Drinking water at ambient temperature hydrates you faster, cold drinks have to be heated to body temperature before they can be absorbed and if you are working (physically) this diverts blood flow from the rest of the body.
I'm sorry but there is simply no scientific support for that statement. There's a 20-calorie difference between a liter of ambient and refrigerated water. If every 20-calorie energy expenditure caused our bodies to "divert blood flow", we'd all be dead.
Old 06-15-15, 10:19 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Hokiedad4 View Post
I'm sorry but there is simply no scientific support for that statement. There's a 20-calorie difference between a liter of ambient and refrigerated water. If every 20-calorie energy expenditure caused our bodies to "divert blood flow", we'd all be dead.
The science is pretty clear that we cannot absorb any food or drink until it is warmed to body temperature, chug a litre of water at 12C and it takes about five minutes to warm it up, when you do this you burn a few calories and experience a drop in core temperature. If it is a sports drink you are going to be replacing a good amount of calories.

On the other hand, cold drinks tend to be more palatable so this encourages one to drink more and this is most important... stay properly hydrated and none of this matters.
Old 06-16-15, 11:28 AM
68venable

Bikes: 1988 Cannondale Criterium SR500

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have skinny feet and drink outside temperature water. I am only a recreational rider and also not a scientist.
Old 06-16-15, 12:13 PM
Hokiedad4

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver View Post
The science is pretty clear that we cannot absorb any food or drink until it is warmed to body temperature, chug a litre of water at 12C and it takes about five minutes to warm it up, when you do this you burn a few calories and experience a drop in core temperature. If it is a sports drink you are going to be replacing a good amount of calories.
Again, with all due respect to your education and other qualifications, we ever did you hear that we can't absorb liquids until they reach body temp?

Let me try to put this issue to rest. We drink to offset water lost in sweat. We sweat because our bodies heat up during exercise. So drinking something cold does not hurt but in fact helps us cool off.
Old 06-16-15, 12:28 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheever View Post
Bontrager makes a few shoes styles in a wide width. (I just bought a pair of the Velocis in wide.) Also, the specialized comp road comes in a wide. Giro makes a bunch of HV (high volume) shoes, and Sidi calls their wider widths "mega". There are more, but that's off the top of my head after my recent shoe size quest.

The he trick is finding a place to try shoes on. Good luck!

I was going to post Bontrager too, my wife just bought Bontragers this weekend. She injured her foot over the winter and needs more room in the toe box to let the foot spread out. Still waiting to get ride feed back.
Old 06-16-15, 03:11 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by Hokiedad4 View Post
Again, with all due respect to your education and other qualifications, we ever did you hear that we can't absorb liquids until they reach body temp?

Let me try to put this issue to rest. We drink to offset water lost in sweat. We sweat because our bodies heat up during exercise. So drinking something cold does not hurt but in fact helps us cool off.
I am not arguing that drinking offsets water loss when we sweat or that drinking cold beverages is harmful.

But the science behind it is that when you drink a cold beverage the body has to shift some internal heat to the stomach and digestive system to bring it back to a working temperature of 37C... stomach enzymes work optimally between 37 and 42C and anything outside of that narrow range reduces that very quickly and the stomach has sensors to adjust for temperature and acidity as what we put into our bodies affects both.

When your core temperature drops, blood flow to the extremities is reduced until that temperature is balanced.

This is why cool drinks are refreshing or why icy drinks can actually give you a chill.

The reverse applies to hot food and beverages... they have to cool down before we can absorb them and why they might cause one to sweat a little as that extra heat is dissipated.

Spicy food makes us sweat for different reasons and the sweating it induces can also be refreshing as that sweat cools our skin.