Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Yet another 70/71 Raleigh Pro Mk II

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-19, 07:26 PM
dimini

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Yet another 70/71 Raleigh Pro Mk II

I just bought a pile of bike parts that I found listed in Facebook Marketplace. Amid the pile of 70's gear were two nearly complete Raleighs-- a 1975ish Gran Sport and a Raleigh Pro Mk 2 which appears to be 1970/71 vintage due to serial number, drop outs, etc. If there's such thing as a downside to scoring a Raleigh Pro amid a pile of parts costing a grand total of $40 for everything--that downside would be that someone had performed a scrappy DIY paint job on the Raleigh Pro. Considering it's condition and lack of provenance, I think this is a great candidate for undergoing a "restomod" that suits my nostalgic interests, rather than blowing $$$ on the model-specific, period-correct missing Campy components and having it refinished in OE colors/livery.

Raleigh Pro Mk2 that I rescued from a small pile of bike parts I bought for $40, pictured wheels and saddle bag not included. Yes, it's a poor DIY paint job by a P.O., and mix-match of parts, but I consider it a free bike as I'm ok with having spent $40 for a Campy high flange Record hub set alone . After a quick and dirty tune-up/overhaul, I slapped this pair of pair clinchers on it and did a 20 mile test ride--and to my surprise, I like it a lot. Enough so that I plan to strip and restore the frame.

Last edited by dimini; 11-26-19 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 11-27-19, 05:35 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I love the rat-rod look you have going there. I recently did the same with a Peugeot in similar condition. Now using it for indoor training and riding in inclement weather. If you have other shiny bikes to admire, treat this one to some fresh bar tape and enjoy it in all its stealth, ratty glory.
Likes For plonz:
Old 12-04-19, 05:40 PM
acidlung

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That rocks! With a few minor upgrades, that'll be a really fun ride. The cool thing with a bike like that is that it will be totally appropriate to build it out with a mishmash of parts. I recently saw a bike in similar condition and the owner had simply stripped the parts off the frame and fork, then scrubbed the dirt off and sprayed about 4 coats of clearcoat on there to prevent any further rust. He had some pretty nice mid-90s Shimano parts on it. Talk about embracing the ratty look, that guy owned it. Good luck and great find!
Old 12-08-19, 08:05 PM
dimini

The PO who painted the bike (I’d guess over 20yrs ago) had a sense of humor with this faux Reynolds 531 decal “Gauranteed Not Built with...”

The early 70’s NR front derailleur is the model that does not have a circlip on the top fulcrum, and unfortunately, with every shift the whole cage slides backward just enough to make the shifting—well... a little sloppy.
Old 12-08-19, 08:19 PM
dimini

If this bike still had it’s original Raleigh paint, I’d keep it as a rat rod bike w/patina as is, but I can’t bring myself to sporting about with someone else’s DIY Krylon paint job. It’s fun to imagine who owned (built) this machine as there are few if any matching parts, though—It definitely brings back memories of my being 17 (1977) and building bikes from scrap components pulled from the used parts bin. I loved my part-time job at the bike shop back in my high school days. My best memories as a teen and friendships that are as old as this bike.
Old 12-10-19, 05:43 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by dimini

The PO who painted the bike (I’d guess over 20yrs ago) had a sense of humor with this faux Reynolds 531 decal “Gauranteed Not Built with...”

The early 70’s NR front derailleur is the model that does not have a circlip on the top fulcrum, and unfortunately, with every shift the whole cage slides backward just enough to make the shifting—well... a little sloppy.
yes. My first road bike had the same problem. I was not happy
less happy when I saw an early one with the screw retention
fortunately they did add the circlip
bought a replacement body and all was fixed. Later I bought s bike that had an early Record front changer... very nice.
Sometimes even the lure of added profit even put Campagnolo on the wrong side of good design.
Old 12-10-19, 06:33 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
It it a pro, i am not sure Raleigh pros had seat clusters like this one. Either way i would love this frame. Looks like it could build up as a nice 1x any-road.

Edit, looking around and yes the Pro had that seat cluster. Nice bike.

Last edited by bwilli88; 12-10-19 at 11:05 PM.
Old 12-12-19, 02:33 PM
dimini

Originally Posted by bwilli88
It it a pro, i am not sure Raleigh pros had seat clusters like this one. Either way i would love this frame. Looks like it could build up as a nice 1x any-road.

Edit, looking around and yes the Pro had that seat cluster. Nice bike.
According to SheldonBrown.com the "fastback" Brampton-Victor seat cluster was a signature feature among the early Raleigh Pros. This one is an early L-series serial number and oddly, has Campy rear dropouts, but Zeus front dropouts. Zeus dropouts apparently appeared on very early models. Fortunately, I was able to strip the DIY paint off the fork and found salvageable chrome beneath and I plan to leave the crown and fork tips chrome. My first semi-pro bike, at age 13, was a Raleigh competition, which was all black w/gold trim. I plan to have this Raleigh pro powder coated in black and I'll trim it out similar to the Raleigh Competition as a tribute to my discovering great bikes at an early age. I spent all summer saving my $2.50 per lawn earnings to buy that 1973 Raleigh Competition for $239. Fastforward 46 years and now I figure a tribute bike to youth, but an upgrade over the original, is just fine, and damn... did I mention that it's really a nice, responsive bike?
Old 12-12-19, 09:20 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Looks to be 71 best I know they made this style limited production for only 2 years. Very nice frame these were hand brazed by some of the best and full frame forge heat treated. Which made for some great riding super tuff frames. While 1 out of 2 boom era performance frames have failed while not as nice or pretty I have not seen a heat treated Nottingham frame fail or break.

Last edited by zukahn1; 12-12-19 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-27-20, 03:43 PM
dimini

Fast forward 1.5 months and I just finished the resto-mod make over of my junk pile 1971 Raleigh Pro Mk II. Since it had no provenance, nor it's original mink paint, I chose black & gold theme as an homage to the first nice bike I bought as a kid back in 1973--a Raleigh Competition MkII. I'll be riding this bike regularly, so I opted for Cinelli cork tape rather than cloth Velox and a $2 pair of Look clipless pedals. I rode it for a month with toe clips and straps but couldn't quite appreciate the step backward in pedal technology enough to blow even more money on old things like Detto Pietro shoes with nail-on TA cleats. My 59yr-old knees will probably appreciate thank me for that choice.

Mavic GP4 rims laced with Campy Record LF hubs, thanks to Ebay.

Buried beneath the previous owner's gray paint, I found the chrome plating of the fork to be just adequate to salvage.

Tried my hand at pin striping the lugwork and now have great appreciation for those with that particular talent.

Since I'll be riding this regularly, I opted for Koolstop pads, Look pedals and cork tape.

Last edited by dimini; 01-27-20 at 03:56 PM.
Likes For dimini:
Old 01-28-20, 10:54 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Great job! it is very attractive!
Old 01-28-20, 11:44 PM
Flying G

Bikes: 1971 Gitane TDF, 1974 Gitane Interclub, 2001 Serotta Rapid Tour CS3, 1986 Bruce Gordon touring bike, 1972 Gitane Super Corsa, 1978 Michal Johnson, 1972 Lambert Professional Grand Prix, 1983 Vitus (resto project), 1972 Raleigh Professional (resto)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts
Super job and an inspiration to the rest of us!
Old 01-29-20, 08:02 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Very nice indeed. Got to love the old Raleighs, and that fork crown is one of my favorites.
Old 01-30-20, 01:41 PM
fishboy316

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Love it! I am a Raleigh freak and I totally enjoyed looking at this.