Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Best bike for a gift?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Best bike for a gift?

Old 04-06-20, 05:03 PM
introbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best bike for a gift?

Hey all, I'm looking to buy a bike for my friend, but I'm unsure which suits his needs best. He's currently using his family's old bike.

He bikes 8-40 miles around NYC bike trails a couple times a week. He's 6'1 and 220 lbs. He sometimes has back issues. My budget is around $500. Wouldn't mind going a bit over.

Any advice welcome!
Old 04-06-20, 06:12 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Hi, and welcome! It's often difficult to suggest bikes directly to folks who are looking -- it's even tougher going through a third party. ;-)

One of the most important things for this purchase is to get him on some bikes and let him say what is comfortable and what is not. I would not recommend a blind/surprise purchase, as fun as that might seem up front. Going only by what you describe, a comfort hybrid may be the most appropriate type of bike. Examples of this market niche are Trek Verve, Specialized Roll, Cannondale Treadwell, and Giant Sedona. These are only a handful of brands, and your local bike shop may carry and/or recommend additional ones. Do you have a selection of potential bike shops and a knowledge of what brands they sell? That would probably be a good first step -- do some internet map searching and find bike shops local to you and find out/call/ask what brands they sell (if you can't tell from the website). Then you can do some more looking online. And please feel welcome to come back here with a list of potential brands and we can help you anticipate what your friend may be interested in (again, ride-before-buy is the best approach in my opinion).

I would probably stay with more mainline brands, just from the value standpoint. If you're in NYC, I imagine there are many "boutique" bike shops here and there, and these types of shops often offer very high quality, hand-made, custom bikes. Nice bikes for sure, but probably not the best type for this purchase.

I would personally not recommend buying a bike online, because fit and comfort are both so important (especially given the rider has known back comfort concerns).
Old 04-07-20, 09:59 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
hi, and welcome! It's often difficult to suggest bikes directly to folks who are looking -- it's even tougher going through a third party. ;-)

one of the most important things for this purchase is to get him on some bikes and let him say what is comfortable and what is not. I would not recommend a blind/surprise purchase, as fun as that might seem up front.
agreed!
Old 04-07-20, 10:03 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
In a case like this I would try and find the most well equipped shop that is convenient to yourself and him. Perhaps buy a gift certificate from said shop and then allow your friend to go in and deal with the folks, check models and fit within budget.
Old 04-07-20, 10:03 AM
introbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the detailed input!

I'll check out our local shops with him after this quarantine is over. Thanks again
Old 04-07-20, 08:34 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
In a case like this I would try and find the most well equipped shop that is convenient to yourself and him. Perhaps buy a gift certificate from said shop and then allow your friend to go in and deal with the folks, check models and fit within budget.
+1
Best possible suggestion.