Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Rans V-Rex

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Rans V-Rex

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 02:26 PM
FREEBIRD1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
Rans V-Rex

Is this an acceptable starter recumbent? what's a good price for a used one in good working order. I want to use it a few times a week as a change-up on 5 mile paved bike paths.

Thanks
Old 05-18-20, 03:43 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
A V-Rex is a great bent, not just for starters. It's one of the best all-arounders out there (IMNSHO). There are many tales of people thinning their stable by selling their V-Rex, only to have 'seller's remorse' and end up buying another.

V-Rexii go back a looooong way, so price is dependent on age, but $300-500 for a middle-aged one in good condition would be fair. I take it you already found one and are trying to decide if it's worth the asking price. One is currently for sale in my club's newsletter, a 2003 for $300.
Old 05-18-20, 06:40 PM
FREEBIRD1

They're asking $500 it's the metalflake blue color. Are parts support still available for these?

Thanks
Old 05-19-20, 07:37 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Rans is still alive and in business https://shop.ransbikes.com/. Most recumbent parts are standard bike parts. The exceptions are things like steering and seat parts. Lots of us have older recumbent bikes for companies that are no longer in business. I own two Iowa Linears and an Haluzak Horizon and have no problem obtaining wear parts for them.
Old 05-19-20, 02:23 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Yes, parts are readily available. Other seats can be adapted, and there are aftermarket suppliers.
Old 05-19-20, 04:07 PM
FREEBIRD1

V- Rex

I bought the little bike, took off and rode all over the neighborhood this afternoon, it is a fast little devil, and I am surprised how light it is. Very nice to have an alternative riding position. I logged about 8 miles and no aches or pains. Gonna need some new tires, but I like it.
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 05-19-20, 05:07 PM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
I am in a similar boat as Freebird1. I found something similar in my area. Any thoughts on this one? https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...120418283.html
Old 05-19-20, 06:01 PM
FREEBIRD1

You need that chain idler to ride it, and I would make sure there is nothing broken where it mounts, pedals are just normal bike pedals. Mine needs tires and I already ordered them so that's no big deal. Mine must be 20 years old as well. Look around they come up a lot. I would say no more than 3-400 if you really like it.
Old 05-19-20, 08:04 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by FREEBIRD1
I bought the little bike, took off and rode all over the neighborhood this afternoon, it is a fast little devil, and I am surprised how light it is. Very nice to have an alternative riding position. I logged about 8 miles and no aches or pains. Gonna need some new tires, but I like it.
Welcome to the V-Rex Owners Club! Mine is a 2008 model with about 16,000 miles. No longer my main ride but still get much pleasure out of it.
Old 05-20-20, 06:45 AM
FREEBIRD1

Not sure how old this one is, it was taken care of and/or did not see much use, The steering stem is still tight with no play, it rides pretty tight. Gonna re-tire it for sure.
Old 05-20-20, 07:20 AM
BlazingPedals

Looks OK even at $600, although I'd try to talk him down a little bit. It's 20 years old, after all! It might not need a new pulley, it might only need bearings. Idlers use inline skate bearings, which are pretty standard.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 05-20-20, 06:15 PM
jayhawk1972

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one last Fall and love it. Paid 500 and just put new Schwalbe Marathon tires and tubes on it yesterday. Going to do a long ride tomorrow on the new tires. Have fun!
Old 05-20-20, 08:12 PM
FREEBIRD1

I got mine yesterday and already put about 10 miles on the thing, I'm practicing slow speed maneuvers in my neighborhood, park etc. I am doing quite well with quick figure 8's. I have the start ups down pretty good too. I hit 22 MPH on a flat so it has it in it. Have fun on the ride, now you have nice sticky tires. I was going at about a mid 20's clip going down a grade this AM, reminded me of being on a bobsled
Old 05-21-20, 01:57 PM
FREEBIRD1

Update the V-Rex with some 1.750 Schwalbe Marathons, improved the ride quite a bi,t but the top speed is down from the high pressure 1. 5 and 1.35 slicks. I think the tires on the bike were original, and probably 25 years or so old. I feel a little safer going down grades at 25MPH now
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 05-22-20, 07:41 AM
BlazingPedals

You can determine the year by the serial number. I think they used to use the year and the number within the batch. Yours is probably around a 2000? I've used fat tires and I've used skinny tires. Fatties were good when I was running fairings but between the tires and the fairings the bike handled like a tank. These days I'm running 1-1/4 in back and 1-1/8 in front. Mine is a 1997 V-Rex24.

Old 05-22-20, 08:41 AM
FREEBIRD1

Thanks,

The fat tires definitely slowed it down, but I can hear them bite in the turns, Gonna have to find some more thins, I loved the speed and weightless rolling resistance feel.
Old 05-22-20, 03:01 PM
BlazingPedals

Tread is good for gravel and grass; but for pure pavement, treads mean less contact surface area. Slicks actually grip better, depending of course on the rubber compound. The Primo Comets and Racers that were OEM for your V-Rex have fairly hard compound, which makes them wear well but have a reputation for slipping a little in rain. I've run them quite a lot and never had that problem; but then I don't ride in the rain much and when I do I never push corners hard.
Old 05-22-20, 03:35 PM
FREEBIRD1

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Tread is good for gravel and grass; but for pure pavement, treads mean less contact surface area. Slicks actually grip better, depending of course on the rubber compound. The Primo Comets and Racers that were OEM for your V-Rex have fairly hard compound, which makes them wear well but have a reputation for slipping a little in rain. I've run them quite a lot and never had that problem; but then I don't ride in the rain much and when I do I never push corners hard.

That's what was on the bike, do they still make them? I looked at the S/N and it is in fact a 1999. I like riding this bike, I was curious does the Terra Glide Flex stem make much difference in the steering stability? my stock flip unit is good, but I would'nt mine having a little more leverage.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-20, 05:54 PM
BlazingPedals

That's what was on the bike, do they still make them? I looked at the S/N and it is in fact a 1999. I like riding this bike, I was curious does the Terra Glide Flex stem make much difference in the steering stability? my stock flip unit is good, but I would'nt mine having a little more leverage.

Thanks.
Primo Comet and Primo Racer are still made. The RANS Flip-It was a cheesy thing, with very poor friction clamping It has a reputation for getting sloppy as the washers wear. The Terracycles Glide-Flex stem is a more substantial solution, It weighs a little more but feels much better in operation and will probably outlast you. Unless your Flip-It is wiggly, the Glide-Flex won't make the bike handle any better, though. Try adjusting the Flip-It so that the bars are a little closer to you. That will increase 'tiller' and give you slightly more leverage; although leverage is one thing you probably don't need - the bike is very responsive as-is.
Old 05-22-20, 06:11 PM
FREEBIRD1

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Primo Comet and Primo Racer are still made. The RANS Flip-It was a cheesy thing, with very poor friction clamping It has a reputation for getting sloppy as the washers wear. The Terracycles Glide-Flex stem is a more substantial solution, It weighs a little more but feels much better in operation and will probably outlast you. Unless your Flip-It is wiggly, the Glide-Flex won't make the bike handle any better, though. Try adjusting the Flip-It so that the bars are a little closer to you. That will increase 'tiller' and give you slightly more leverage; although leverage is one thing you probably don't need - the bike is very responsive as-is.

Thanks,

I'll adjust it that way, you have to be "light on the sticks" with this bike, I learned that in my first few hundred feet. I can take it through the S's on the bike bath no problem now. I like the recumbent more than I thought I would, that Cruzbike touring looks tempting.
Old 05-22-20, 06:18 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
FREEBIRD1 your vintage of V-Rex had more problems with the seat sliding back than later versions. It looks like the previous owner put a hose clamp behind the seat clamp to hold it in place. It's a watch-out, not a show stopper. The Terracycle flip-it stem will give you a more solid feel, but doesn't impact leverage.

Count me as one who started with a V-rex and slightly regrets selling it. It was fabulously comfortable, rugged, quick, and climbed well. I rode mine on club rides, 24-hour races, and brevets up to and including Paris-Brest-Paris. My stick bike is faster, as clearly shown by my times, but the V-rex wins on comfort and isn't that far off on speed. It's a great bike.

Edit: forgot to add that I tried many different tires (pavement only) but kept going back to Primos. Comet on the front, Racer on the back (same tire, just marketing names). Light, fast, and decent against flats if you keep them new. I DID ride them in the rain, lots, and never had an issue. Come to think of it, the only rain crash I've ever had on a brevet was when I tried Continental Sport Contacts. Front wheel slid ride out on a fast curve. Who knows if the Primos would have done that.

Last edited by downtube42; 05-22-20 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-22-20, 07:23 PM
FREEBIRD1

Originally Posted by downtube42
FREEBIRD1 your vintage of V-Rex had more problems with the seat sliding back than later versions. It looks like the previous owner put a hose clamp behind the seat clamp to hold it in place. It's a watch-out, not a show stopper. The Terracycle flip-it stem will give you a more solid feel, but doesn't impact leverage.

Count me as one who started with a V-rex and slightly regrets selling it. It was fabulously comfortable, rugged, quick, and climbed well. I rode mine on club rides, 24-hour races, and brevets up to and including Paris-Brest-Paris. My stick bike is faster, as clearly shown by my times, but the V-rex wins on comfort and isn't that far off on speed. It's a great bike.

Edit: forgot to add that I tried many different tires (pavement only) but kept going back to Primos. Comet on the front, Racer on the back (same tire, just marketing names). Light, fast, and decent against flats if you keep them new. I DID ride them in the rain, lots, and never had an issue. Come to think of it, the only rain crash I've ever had on a brevet was when I tried Continental Sport Contacts. Front wheel slid ride out on a fast curve. Who knows if the Primos would have done that.
No hose clamp, you must be seeing that bottle cage they have mounted to the side of the seatback, or the chrome seat release. Thanks for the info on the bike, I bought it as a alternative casual cruiser for the bike trail, and low and behold find out it's a serious bike. I could start to feel the capability with more practice and seat time, I climb hills much easier than with my standard bike. The Primos on it were 21 years old and petrified, I got the schwalbe's at the LBS just to stay on the road and keep riding, I'm looking forward to getting some of the Primos back on, I miss the speed especially on downhill coasting. My next new bike purchase may be a bent.
Old 05-22-20, 07:40 PM
unikid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 23 Posts
No hose clamp, you must be seeing that bottle cage they have mounted to the side of the seatback, or the chrome seat release.
He must have looked at the posting I mentioned above and confused that with your bike. I see in picture #5 a hose clamp behind the seat.https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...120418283.html

That's good info to have in hand along with the pulley advice. I haven't gone to look at the bike yet. Not sure the wife will be keen to have another bike in our garage without thinning the herd first.
Old 05-22-20, 08:15 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by unikid
He must have looked at the posting I mentioned above and confused that with your bike. I see in picture #5 a hose clamp behind the seat.https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...120418283.html

That's good info to have in hand along with the pulley advice. I haven't gone to look at the bike yet. Not sure the wife will be keen to have another bike in our garage without thinning the herd first.
You are correct. Later on, RANS came up with an improved seat clamp that resolved the slipping. Their riser hinges always sucked, as far as I know.
Old 05-25-20, 12:09 PM
BlazingPedals

On adjusting the tilt stem: The tilt is really there to aid getting in and out, not to get the bars in your lap while riding. Your elbows should be in your ribs. It's pretty common for people to adjust the bars too close to their torso, which compromises turning ability. I try to put the bars as far away from me as I can before they start hitting my knees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.