Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Roam or Garmin Edge 530/830

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-25-20, 05:54 PM
Sp408

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New to the road biking scene. I just purchase my first road bike recently (2020 specialized roubaix). Enjoying every bit of it.

Been looking to purchase a cycling computer but even with countless researches and and watching YouTube reviews, I still can’t decide on which one to get.

wahoo roam or Garmin edge 530/830?

Has anyone had both? Which one did you like more?any recommendation?

will be pairing it with an iPhone if that matters.

thanks!
Old 05-25-20, 05:56 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
What do you want out of it, or it to do for you?
Old 05-25-20, 05:57 PM
Greiselman
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
I'm partial to Garmin, but that's partly because I've used a fenix watch for the last 5+ years and I like having all my fitness data in Garmin Connect. I like my Edge 520 but generally speaking I think most people like the Wahoo hardware and UX much more.
Old 05-26-20, 05:35 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
I had a 530 and tried to like it. I didn't, returned it and bought a Bolt. IIRC the 530 was much more difficult to set up and synch with my phone. I am not particularly tech savvy or even interested in that sort of thing so the Wahoo worked better for me.
Old 05-26-20, 11:27 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Decided I'm going to sell my basically new Wahoo Elemnt Roam and get the Garmin Edge 830 instead. Too many distractions in Strava when all I want is data (of which the data I have to pay for in Strava). Meanwhile, Garmin Connect actually has all that information available in their portal at no charge.
Likes For WorldIRC:
Old 05-26-20, 11:31 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
to the OP, they are both good units. You will be alright with either. I am a Garmin user and couldn't be happier. the connect program they use for the data is really good.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 05-31-20, 06:58 AM
greggh

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've had a Garmin Edge 820 for 3 or 4 years. Overall it is good, when it downloads properly. Every so often it refused to download. I have spent considerable time sitting on the couch playing with Garmin Connect, my phone, and the Edge trying to get it to download again. Eventually, it starts working. I have gone quite a while now with no trouble. You can customize the display to include whatever measurements you want on multiple screens- very nice. One feature I do like is the crash detection. It sends a message out to those you set up alerting them that there has been an incident along with a location. Had my second false alarm yesterday on a quick stop. The first time was a couple years ago when the wind blew my bike over at a rest stop. And that brings me to my other complaint with the Edge- the display is smallish and sometimes hard to read. After these two crash incidents, the display gives instructions on how to cancel the alert. But the font is small and hard to read... in the sun, sunglasses, glare, smudges on the display, etc. But that is not necessarily a Garmin specific issue. My riding partner has a Wahoo and is happy with it. If I had to choose today, I can't really say which one I'd get. I would probably look for the larger display than what I have now though.
Old 05-31-20, 08:07 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I bought a new headunit about a month ago and went with the Wahoo Element Bolt based on advice from a friend who told me that the Bolt was better than the Roam unless I wanted the navigation which I don't care about. Who knows. I'm happy with the Bolt, but maybe I'd be happier with the Roam. I ruled out the Garmins because I don't like the idea of touchscreens on a bike computer, and I like the way Wahoo uses open source maps by default so I don't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get them loaded like I would on the Garmin.
Old 05-31-20, 09:01 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I had a 530 and tried to like it. I didn't, returned it and bought a Bolt. IIRC the 530 was much more difficult to set up and synch with my phone. I am not particularly tech savvy or even interested in that sort of thing so the Wahoo worked better for me.
You went thru all of the work setting up the 530 and then decided to switch? Typically, at least with my 520, you set it up and then forget about it.

Originally Posted by WorldIRC
Decided I'm going to sell my basically new Wahoo Elemnt Roam and get the Garmin Edge 830 instead. Too many distractions in Strava when all I want is data (of which the data I have to pay for in Strava). Meanwhile, Garmin Connect actually has all that information available in their portal at no charge.
I would assume that Wahoo has their own software/app -- is this any good? Also, I imagine you could import a Wahoo ride file into Connect, or must you own a Garmin in order to install Connect?

Originally Posted by kingston
I ruled out the Garmins because I don't like the idea of touchscreens on a bike computer, and I like the way Wahoo uses open source maps by default so I don't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get them loaded like I would on the Garmin.
Garmin 530 is not a touchscreen, fyi.
Old 05-31-20, 09:28 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
If you are wanting to do navigation or expect to use maps a lot, a touch screen makes it easier to move around the maps screen. I had a Bolt, hated the Turn-By-Turn white text on black screen, I needed to remove my sunglasses to see it, thus returned to REI. The TBT and map screen is better on a Garmin. My experience with the Wahoo vs. Garmin setup interface is Wahoo has fewer issues (none actually) getting BlueTooth running while Garmin can be a RPITA and they are inconsistent as to reliability for BT. OTOH, I’ve never had issues on 3 different Garmins uploading a completed ride or getting it to RWGPS, or getting routes onto the device and TBT is flawless. Other advantage is you can install different maps on a Garmin, where I found the Wahoo maps very road centric.
Old 05-31-20, 10:48 AM
Seattle Forrest

I bought a new headunit about a month ago and went with the Wahoo Element Bolt based on advice from a friend who told me that the Bolt was better than the Roam unless I wanted the navigation which I don't care about. Who knows. I'm happy with the Bolt, but maybe I'd be happier with the Roam. I ruled out the Garmins because I don't like the idea of touchscreens on a bike computer, and I like the way Wahoo uses open source maps by default so I don't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get them loaded like I would on the Garmin.
For what it's worth, Garmins use Open Street Maps now. Older ones were made to use proprietary maps Garmin sells and it was possible but a pain to load OSM. But the newer units use OSM and update automatically.
Old 05-31-20, 11:42 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
You should get the Garmin 530. That's what I have and more people should be like me

Seriously, you're going to love any of the units on your list, especially since it sounds like you have nothing now. Try to get hands on the unit so you can see if the display is to your liking. Enjoy!
Old 05-31-20, 12:26 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
For what it's worth, Garmins use Open Street Maps now. Older ones were made to use proprietary maps Garmin sells and it was possible but a pain to load OSM. But the newer units use OSM and update automatically.
I figured someone would correct me about the Garmins, TBH I didn't really do that much research on them. I've been using an etrex20 for a long time (with OSM that I have to torrent and copy to the sd card). I was thinking about getting a new computer so last season I asked a bunch of people I rode brevets with what computer they had, if they would recommend it and why. The people who had the Garmins had a bunch of complaints seemingly regardless of what unit they had (touchscreen and maps were the common ones), so I just ruled out the brand without really looking into them too much. The Bolt is the one that more people had than any other and the only one that people didn't have any gripes about. It doesn't seem to do anything spectacularly but it works. Obviously nobody had the Roam last season so I was just going to get that, but my friend said he had seen it and still liked the Bolt better, and we do mostly the same type of riding. It's a tough thing to buy because everyone is going to use it a little differently and has different preferences.
Old 05-31-20, 02:04 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
You went thru all of the work setting up the 530 and then decided to switch? Typically, at least with my 520, you set it up and then forget about it.
Yeah I wouldn't have bothered except it kept losing synch with the phone and getting it to synch again was a PITA. I also had trouble setting up the screens and at some point had to call it good enough. The Wahoo phone app made all that much easier. Again, my lack of tech skills undoubtedly played a part. I wasn't committed to the Garmin, was able to return it, and decided to not waste any more time on it. As it happens, I'm not doing the away from home rides I was planning for so don't need turn by turn. I would have been fine continuing with my Cateye and Strava on the phone.
Old 05-31-20, 04:57 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I would assume that Wahoo has their own software/app -- is this any good? Also, I imagine you could import a Wahoo ride file into Connect, or must you own a Garmin in order to install Connect?
Wahoo has their own app, but it doesn't interface into a web dashboard. The app is also annoying when you're not paired to the Head Unit as it's always looking for it. The app is really more of an Elemnt management tool first, data management second.

The file can be manually imported into Connect, yes.

Anyways got my Wahoo sold and the Garmin set up and working.
Old 05-31-20, 05:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

I figured someone would correct me about the Garmins, TBH I didn't really do that much research on them. I've been using an etrex20 for a long time (with OSM that I have to torrent and copy to the sd card). I was thinking about getting a new computer so last season I asked a bunch of people I rode brevets with what computer they had, if they would recommend it and why. The people who had the Garmins had a bunch of complaints seemingly regardless of what unit they had (touchscreen and maps were the common ones), so I just ruled out the brand without really looking into them too much. The Bolt is the one that more people had than any other and the only one that people didn't have any gripes about. It doesn't seem to do anything spectacularly but it works. Obviously nobody had the Roam last season so I was just going to get that, but my friend said he had seen it and still liked the Bolt better, and we do mostly the same type of riding. It's a tough thing to buy because everyone is going to use it a little differently and has different preferences.
The important thing is you have something you're happy with that takes care of your needs on the bike. (In a family friendly way I mean.)

As a data point, I'm very happy with my Garmin (Fenix) watch. The BT is rock solid, which makes me shake my head at the almost unanimous reports of Edges not being able to stay connected.
Old 05-31-20, 05:38 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 205 Posts
The only thing i can add, and this is not what the OP was asking, is that my wife had the Garmin 510, and I hated the touchscreen. it was slow, and didn't act at all like a cell phone touch screen. She now has a 830, while i got a 530 because i hated the touch screen on her last one. Well the 830 touch screen is great. and it makes set up and modification of data fields so easy and intuitive. I wish had spent the extra $100 for mine as well.
The only eason i got rid of my 520 was that the battery life was getting shorter and shorter after 3 or 4 years.
Old 05-31-20, 07:33 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
...and I like the way Wahoo uses open source maps by default so I don't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to get them loaded like I would on the Garmin.
???

The newer Garmins provide maps based o Openstreetmap for your home continent.

The maps for Garmin have much more detail than the Wahoo maps. Including, but not limited to, contour lines.

If you want maps for an area outside your home continent, you have to download a free OSM map for that region. I would not call doing that “a bunch of hoops”. The first time might seem a bit involved but it’s easy enough after you’ve done it once.

The maps you download include data that can be as recent as two weeks.

You can download all sorts of maps for the Garmins, including rather custom ones and overlay maps.

With the Wahoo units, you can only use the maps Wahoo provides.

================

People like the Wahoo units but the navigation is pretty basic. It’s comparable to a basic Garmin like the 520 (not the 520+ and higher number units).

The Garmins provide more sophisticated navigation options (including being able to use all sort of other maps).

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-02-20 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-31-20, 07:47 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by mgopack42
The only thing i can add, and this is not what the OP was asking, is that my wife had the Garmin 510, and I hated the touchscreen. it was slow, and didn't act at all like a cell phone touch screen.
???

The 510 had buttons (not a touch screen). Maybe, you meant 810?

I had an ancient 800 and didn’t have any real problem with the touch screen. The touch screen on the 810 probably worked very similarly (the 810 is almost as ancient!). The 830 is much faster and much newer (so, it's not too surprising if it works better).

The touch screen (on the 800 and 810) might not have acted like one on a cellphone but the device wasn’t a cellphone (a cellphone is a much larger and faster device with a much bigger battery).

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-02-20 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-31-20, 08:25 PM
Seattle Forrest

I had an 800 too, and never any trouble with the touch screen. It makes the maps so much easier to use. It was also useful setting things up, but the maps are the reason to want one. I have maps on my watch with no touch screen, it's useable with buttons, but much more of a pain in the ass that way.

Never any trouble with the merino glove liners I use. Never any trouble in the rain either.
Old 05-31-20, 09:19 PM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2020 S-Works Roubaix (Zipp 303 NSW), 2020 Canyon Ultimate Evo 10.0 (DT Swiss DICUT 1100), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2018 S-Works Camber, 2019 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts
I bought the 530 last summer. It’s constantly dropping my sensors in the middle of rides. I’ve been through 3 or 4 firmware updates, and the problem still persists. Germine replaced the unit under warranty and the new unit had the same issue. I’ve had the 310, 510, 520, and now the 530. For the most part, they’ve been pretty meh, with the major exception being the 520. It’s been reliable and has all the features I need. Integration with phones and general functionality of the 510 was a complete disaster. It was plagued with firmware issues. The 310 lasted a few years before dying.

I don’t see that the 530 offers much more than my 520 . . . at least in terms of features I would actually use. The 530 sits on my bookshelf while I continue to use the 520. For me, the 800 series computers are overkill. I’ve never found the navigation to be particularly elegant on any Garmin device. If I wanted something with fancy navigation, I’d probably try the Karoo Hammerhead.

If you’re less interested in the navigation I’d get the Edge 520 Plus and call it a day. I focus mainly on cycling data. It will do navigation, and I use it occasionally when I’m going some place new, but it isn’t great. Neither is the 530. Overall, I never understood how Garmin gained so much dominance in the bike computer space. When you consider how much technology can be packed into a cell phone, their computers are amateurish in design and typically riddled with firmware issues.
Old 06-01-20, 06:09 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
I have had a Garmin 500, 1000, and Fenix 5x in the past and really liked the 500 and the Fenix. I didn't like the 1000 and had a lot of issues with it...wound up selling it. The Fenix watch was really great and worked well when riding mtb or cyclocross, but when riding with a group and trying to keep pace I found not being able to see my speed without moving my arm was a small issue. I think a dedicated bike computer is the better tool in a group ride or paceline when you just want to see the data all the time. I never had a technical issue with the Fenix 5x though. I didn't really like the garmin connect website though and have since imported all my data into my TrainerRoad account, so that is the website I look at for data analysis now. I have no use for strava, so can't comment on any functionality related to it with either units.

I just picked up a Wahoo Element Roam last week and have been on two rides so far with it. I really like certain basic things about the unit. One, I would rather have buttons than a touch screen on a bike computer, and the Roam has that. I love the zoom in out feature on the Roam. It is just super easy to go from three display fields to the maximum, which is a lot (I don't even know right now because I don't have the unit on me). Two, it is also really easy to setup your screens using the smartphone app. In fact, it seems really easy to do everything on that app and it transfers it to the Roam unit pretty much instantly. Setting up a route with the app and putting it onto the head unit could not be easier. The third reason I wanted the Wahoo Roam was that I have a Wahoo Kickr trainer too, and I want to be able to run the trainer using the head unit sometimes. You may be able to do this on current garmin units too, but I kinda wanted to stick with the same company as the smarttrainer.

I like the display in that it is really easy to read even in direct sunlight. I just yesterday setup the side leds to show my heart rate zones and that worked great. Basically it is an easy to understand display that tells you when to back off or push harder depending on what you want to get out of your ride that day. Pretty cool. So far the Roam seems to have all the features I want and they seem really easy to use to.

Using Wahoo's companion app with the Roam seems to make everything including routing, display changes, super simple and very easy to use. I'm new to it really, but have yet to come into an issue with it.

I'm not sure about current Garmin computers, but this one came with a really nice out front mount. If I remember correctly, I think I had to purchase that separately with my past Garmin units.
Old 06-01-20, 07:04 AM
njkayaker

Current Garmins come with an out-front mount.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-01-20, 12:28 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 205 Posts
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 06-01-20, 09:24 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Took the 830 out for a spin tonight. Everything loaded into the App and Strava just fine. Turned off auto lap, turned on auto-pause, and will continue to play with it. The touch screen was a nice change.

Just ordered a silicone case on Amazon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.