Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire pressure gauge gone wonky. Recommendations?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-21-20, 01:46 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6926 Post(s)
Liked 10,926 Times in 4,667 Posts

So, I have this gauge, and have been using it on two of my bikes for a couple years. Both bikes set up tubeless with sealant, which may be relevant.

Lately the gauge has become sluggish...I press it on the valve, and the needle moves sloooowly up the dial. Now it has stopped responding.

Two questions: Does anyone suppose that it is clogged with sealant? And can anyone give a recommendation for a gauge that will last longer than a couple years?

Thanks in advance?
Old 06-21-20, 01:55 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
my guess would be that the sealant had something to do with it. I use a small digital one because I need accuracy on the ATV tires and they're in the super low PSI range. But the digital also works on my coach which is well over 100PSI. They're not very expensive these days.
Old 06-21-20, 02:04 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,377 Times in 2,729 Posts
Going forward, it's probably a good idea to store the bikes with the valves positioned so they won't collect sealant.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-21-20, 02:07 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Going forward, it's probably a good idea to store the bikes with the valves positioned so they won't collect sealant.
Yeah, I try to do that, but I think a little bit often squirts out anyway.
Old 06-21-20, 02:17 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I use a gauge with a hose, specifically because of the sealant thing. There's really no way to keep it out of the valve. Same reason I buy cores by the 10 bag. Cost of doing business.
Old 06-21-20, 02:22 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
You can disassemble the gauge to clean out any gunk. Just be careful not jostle the inner gears and what not. (Looks like a simple clock inside). Probably the stem on the gauge just needs cleaning with some soapy water. I haven't looked but would be surprised if there isn't a YouTube video on this. This type of gauge (also known as a "Bourdon" style gauge) can be recalibrated if it ever goes out of adjustment as well. Probably a video on that too. You do need a known accurate gauge to compare with though.
Old 06-21-20, 02:48 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I'm surprised you got two years out of it. I use the same gauge and get about a year before they clog up with sealant. I've tried numerous methods of cleaning, but nothing worked. I try to remember to put a bit of air into the tire first to blow the sealant out of the valve.
Old 06-21-20, 02:49 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Two questions: Does anyone suppose that it is clogged with sealant? And can anyone give a recommendation for a gauge that will last longer than a couple years?

Thanks in advance?
Yes, it is likely clogged with sealant and no gauge type is going to survive that better than any other. My Bourdon tube gauges are decades old, but I do not run sealant so they are pristine. Clean it if you can or buy cheap ones and toss them if/when they get clogged. These are 3 for under $20: https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-Digit.../dp/B01MTUA2AX
Old 06-21-20, 03:19 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by dsaul
I'm surprised you got two years out of it. I use the same gauge and get about a year before they clog up with sealant. I've tried numerous methods of cleaning, but nothing worked. I try to remember to put a bit of air into the tire first to blow the sealant out of the valve.

Ooh. That’s a good idea. Thank you.
Likes For Koyote: