Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Help

Old 06-28-20, 06:30 AM
Roadlizzard

Bikes: TREK 8000,Trek Domane 4.5,Felt FR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Help

I have never ride a recumbent before and have borrowed a 2016 Bacchetta CA2.0 from a friend. The bike steering is super sensitive and I mean super! The bike has a 700 rear wheel and a 650 front I can't find out if this wheel setup is standard or has been changed. If it's been changed will this effect the steering? Thanks
Old 06-28-20, 07:47 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I think it's been changed. I'm not aware of Bacchetta selling a 700c/650c highracer. It's probably a dual-700c and someone changed to a 650c front fork. Having a smaller front wheel would tend to make the steering quicker, compounding a new rider's difficulty. Still, it should be rideable. First, set the seat as upright as you can get it and re-adjust the leg length. Set your power pedal to 12:00, take a deep breath, let it out and totally relax your upper body, then push the pedal. The secret is to try staying relaxed; if you tense up you will over-compensate.
Old 06-28-20, 07:50 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It is quite possible the rear wheel has been changed to 700C. According to the Bachetta website the Bachetta bikes came with a variety of wheels but most pictures show it with two same sized wheels (26" 559?). It wouldn't be a big stretch to change the rear from to 700C. It shouldn't make all that much difference in the handling. Had it gone from a 406 or 451 front wheel to a 26" that might make a much greater difference in handling.
"Depending on your Bacchetta model, you have either two wheels of the same size, or a front wheel that’s smaller than the rear. While the smaller front wheel is sometimes called a “20-inch,” it’s much better to define it by its metric size—406mm—when you’re shopping for a replacement tire. That’ s because not all “20-inch” tires and rims are the same size, or even 20 inches in diameter. The rearwheel on the Giro and both wheels on the Strada,are “26-inch,” or 559mm, which is the standard mountain bike size. The Strada will also accept650C or 571mm wheels, which have a slightly larger diameter and are usually found on triathalon bikes. Consult your dealer for more information on wheels and sizing"

Last edited by VegasTriker; 06-28-20 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-29-20, 10:32 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Yes, the CA2 also came as a Basso model, for smaller riders, and was equipped with a 20" front wheel. I think the frame was different so the small front wheel wouldn't compromise steering.
Old 06-30-20, 08:25 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I think it's been changed. I'm not aware of Bacchetta selling a 700c/650c highracer. It's probably a dual-700c and someone changed to a 650c front fork. Having a smaller front wheel would tend to make the steering quicker, compounding a new rider's difficulty. Still, it should be rideable. First, set the seat as upright as you can get it and re-adjust the leg length. Set your power pedal to 12:00, take a deep breath, let it out and totally relax your upper body, then push the pedal. The secret is to try staying relaxed; if you tense up you will over-compensate.
This is pretty much it. It does take some getting used to, for sure. I probably fell over 10 times in the first 8-10 miles of riding my bent. Then it sorta clicked and I haven't had any problems since. In my case, I was also learning to ride clipped in for the first time, so some of those fall were from me not getting unclipped in time.
Old 07-07-20, 08:43 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
To begin with bents feel really squirrley . It is because your back is usually locked to the seat back, and you can do the usual tiny leans that help steer the bike. Normally after a hundred or so miles that feeling goes away as you learn to micro steer the handle bars.
Old 07-20-20, 06:33 AM
Roadlizzard

Bikes: TREK 8000,Trek Domane 4.5,Felt FR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I purchased a used Bacchetta Corsa with 650 wheels front and rear and it is so much more stable that the CA2.0 I had borrowed with 700 rear and 650 front. Really like the bike but it really takes some getting used too. With over 50000 miles on my old regular road bikes it a big change.
Old 07-20-20, 09:32 PM
sch

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
How tightly you grip the bars has a lot to do with how 'squirrely' the steering feels. Bents do best with a very light
touch on the bars. Try riding with just a light curl of the fingers over 1/3 of the bar and no thumb wrap and see
how it goes.