Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Front mechanical disc brake has no stopping power.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-23, 11:40 AM
JGLU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

My front brakes were doing all good. One day I took pads and rotor out of the bike to clean them, and I accidentally contaminated the pads with grease. Here is how it happened:

I took out the rotor and the pads and started to clean them. When I was cleaning the pads, I accidentally used a rag that had some grease on it and the pads got contaminated. Trying to solve this I cleaned the grease of the pads with a new rag, then cleaned the pads with paint thinner and a brush, then cleaned the pads with a clean rag, and waited for them to get dry.
I also cleaned the rotor with paint thinner and a brush, then with a moisted rag, and finally waited for it to get dry.
I put everything back on the bike. Rode about 15 km, breaking often so to burn in the rotor and pads. They never got to brake as they used to do.
So I took pads and rotor out again. I cleaned the rotor the same way I did before. I cleaned the pads with a dry rag, then sanded them, then cleaned them with a rag. I rode even more, about 60 km, and they still didn't brake properly.

Aftet that, I decided to try new pads. I took pads and rotor out. I cleaned the ROTOR again, the same way I did before. I put in a new set of pads. I've been riding this set for 159 km, and they don't deaccelerate the bike at all. I've been stopping with the rear and the front brakes at the same time: the rear because it is the only one that stops, and the front because I kept hoping it would finally got to work. I could not buy new rotor and pads until today, and I'm going to install them later.

Old pads and rotor had 1750 km, and their thickness was good. The second set of pads were even better, obviously. I have the Shimano RT30 rotor and Shimano B05 resin pads.

Any ideas why the rotor got useless? Thanks in advance
Old 05-13-23, 02:29 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
is your bike 100% cable operated? or is one those hybrid cable and hybrid operated?
Old 05-13-23, 02:40 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
I prefer to clean rotors with rubbing alcohol and paper towel.
And I remove them from the bike so as to not pick up dirt on the inside surface from the spokes.
Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-13-23, 02:52 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
If your brakes worked good before but they don't work good now, it almost sounds like something went out of adjustment.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-13-23, 03:42 PM
JGLU

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
is your bike 100% cable operated? or is one those hybrid cable and hybrid operated?
Yes. It is completely cable operted.
Old 05-13-23, 04:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3680 Post(s)
Liked 5,444 Times in 2,767 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
If your brakes worked good before but they don't work good now, it almost sounds like something went out of adjustment.
OP said he contaminated them while trying to "clean." Hopefully the new parts will resolve this. In the future, stick with soap and water or isopropyl alcohol. cleaning brakes

Last edited by shelbyfv; 05-13-23 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-13-23, 04:22 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
OP said he contaminated them while trying to "clean." Hopefully the new parts will resolve this.
OP said that he already did install brand new pads, cleaned the rotors and it didn't fix the problem, so my guess is that maybe something is out of adjustment.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-13-23, 04:27 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2497 Post(s)
Liked 740 Times in 523 Posts
Just saying. New poster with username in all caps that starts thread making established members start fighting each other ... rinse, repeat ...
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 05-13-23, 04:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3680 Post(s)
Liked 5,444 Times in 2,767 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
OP said that he already did install brand new pads, cleaned the rotors and it didn't fix the problem, so my guess is that maybe something is out of adjustment.
Yes but he "cleaned" them with paint thinner.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-13-23, 04:48 PM
JGLU

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yes but he "cleaned" them with paint thinner.
Thanks for the link to the cleaning guide.
Nevertheless, I had cleaned rotors and pads with paint thinner a couple of times with good results.
Today I put in the new rotor, burned in for 8km and now the front brake is working very well.
Likes For JGLU:
Old 05-13-23, 05:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Just saying. New poster with username in all caps that starts thread making established members start fighting each other ... rinse, repeat ...
It doesn’t take a new poster to start a fight. Any thread which is longer than one page tends to devolve that way. Welcome to the board!

OP: Even though your best efforts to decontaminate your rotor and pads (even the new ones) have not worked, you may want to consider buying new of each and starting anew. (Leise - that’s is an example of a positive and constructive response. You might want to try giving it a shot.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-13-23, 07:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,002 Times in 2,671 Posts
Always clean brakes with isopropyl alcohol and a clean paper towel. I do hate wasting paper towels but rags can easily be contaminated either straight from the seller (because they are cleaned in diesel) or because we use them for all different things.
Old 05-13-23, 07:48 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Ummmm .... username in all caps makes someone suspect now? Been around this forum for a while and that is a new one on me.

Old 05-13-23, 07:55 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,017 Posts
And I like the shop towels or a nice cotton towel that does not loose material as you wipe. Brake cleaner is also an alternative as long as it does not have any oil in it, but sticking with Alcohol is always the best option. It's cheap and can be found practically everywhere.

Old 05-13-23, 08:15 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Ummmm .... username in all caps makes someone suspect now? Been around this forum for a while and that is a new one on me.
Had no idea I was so offensive
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 05-13-23, 09:13 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
I wonder if running the contaminated pads on the old rotor might have glazed the rotor surface in some way and affected it's braking, even with new pads. If this is possible, might it be possible to resurface the rotors, perhaps by sanding or similar?
Old 05-13-23, 09:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 5,649 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
Only for people wanting to disparage others for no reason. Otherwise you are just fine.

Old 05-13-23, 10:27 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by rsbob
It doesn’t take a new poster to start a fight. Any thread which is longer than one page tends to devolve that way. Welcome to the board!

OP: Even though your best efforts to decontaminate your rotor and pads (even the new ones) have not worked, you may want to consider buying new of each and starting anew. (Leise - that’s is an example of a positive and constructive response. You might want to try giving it a shot.
Don't know why you are lecturing me. If there had been nothing but positive and constructive replies to the OP there would have been nothing for me to say. Who the blank gets out the 'paint thinner' to clean perfectly good brake parts and gets grease on them in the process. There is so much power in even crap mechanical discs that it would take a whole lot more than that to make them unusable. Y'all are being played, period. Its sad that even on the basics it's possible to divide youse. Sigh. I tried.
Old 05-13-23, 10:29 PM
Leisesturm

I said, new user with username in all caps. Does that fit you? Do I need to link example threads? I can.
Old 05-14-23, 03:23 AM
streetsurfer

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 155 Posts
Not real heavily experienced with these brakes -cable disc. Did you possibly swap one pad for the other? Were they worn unevenly in thickness, pad for pad? Don't some calipers require the back pad to be adjusted first to just off the disc, before setting the cable operated side?

Last edited by streetsurfer; 05-14-23 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-14-23, 04:48 AM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Did you try sanding the old rotor with very fine paper like 600 grit or crocus cloth? If you look up the break-in procedures for automobile brakes that have new pads and rotors, there is a very specific way of doing it that results in much better performing brakes than if that procedure is not followed. So just the way you use the brakes after installing new parts can make a lot of difference. Also I would wonder about the brand of solvent used for cleaning brake parts because some of it can be "oily" itself. There is a big difference in run-of-the-mill pant thinner and something like Acetone or MEK in many ways, and all with have different effects on what they are used on. Lastly back in the old days a lot of people used to put their brake pads or some clutch disks on the ground in a pile, pour some gasoline on them and light them on fire and burn the impurities off them, but of course that procedure is at your own risk.
Likes For beng1:
Old 05-14-23, 05:04 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
Well now you know...
Old 05-14-23, 05:13 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 267 Posts
It is likely you didn't completely remove contaminants from the rotor and the new pads are now contaminated meaning neither will offer good stopping power.
I'd replace both rotors and pads. Don't touch surfaces with skin as the oils will be deposited on the surfaces contaminating them and reducing stopping power and maybe giving you the gift of a lovely squeal when braking.
Lesson learned...or hopefully so...time will tell.
Disk brakes are awesome until they aren't...
I clean my disk brakes with a mix of water and alcohol...pads and rotors...I wear latex gloves, when I remember to, to avoid accidental contamination or I'm very careful when I'm too lazy to put a pair on. When my pads get real dirty I give the surfaces a light sanding then clean with the fluid mix, wipe with a clean piece of paper towel then put them back in the calipers. I also clean out the insides of the calipers with the fluid mix and a clean tooth brush just for the calipers.
I run mech calipers, TRP Spyre, on my Aethos and they work great...not the same as hydraulic but fine. Great power but they do require more pull than hydro's require.
Old 05-14-23, 08:03 AM
JGLU

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
Did you try sanding the old rotor with very fine paper like 600 grit or crocus cloth?
Thaks for the info on sand papers. Yesterday I was reading about Garnet sandpaper on other threads, but I don't think I can buy it by that name in my country. I'll look for 600 grit on the shops.
Old 05-14-23, 08:41 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Isopropyl alcohol is a poor degreaser and usually has 10-30% water - read the label. Mineral spirits, naphtha and camp stove fuel are all better options. 600 grit sand paper is much too fine for sanding rotors or pads. Something in the 120-220 range would be more appropriate. Mineral spirits does not leave a residue - a popular myth.
Likes For DaveSSS:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.