Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

My geek thread

Old 01-06-19, 09:30 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Also San Jose uses weird orange street lights to keep light pollution down, just for the observatory.
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Tucson is nice at night because they have light pollution laws.
neat!
Old 01-06-19, 09:49 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
neat!
The light pollution here is terrible. About 19 SQM. Naked eye we can't see too much especially around the horizon. The telescope gathers enough light to see stuff though. Tried to split a double star last night and my wife could kind of see it split but I couldn't.

Last edited by Flatballer; 01-06-19 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 05:32 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I don't bother using my telescope in Portland except to very occasionally look at the moon or Saturn. Mostly I use it at my sister's ranch in central WA where the light pollution is pretty low and I can pick out galaxies and other dim objects assuming little or no moonlight.
Old 01-08-19, 11:19 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
neat!
the orange sodium vapor lights emit a very narrow band of light that is more easily filtered out for the observatory. But don't worry, everyone is ******** so they are pushing for modern (white) LED and/or metal halide lights that emit light in all colors and can't be filtered out.

wah wah
Old 01-08-19, 11:56 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

lame
Old 02-18-19, 02:39 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Maybe not geeky, but I'm looking for more technicalish people (engineers specifically, but anyone really).

If there's a book you want for work for reference (but not a reference book, more of a textbook), do you buy it or does your company buy it? Who owns all those books on the engineer's shelves?

The only books I have at work came from college, so they're mine, but there's a new textbook I want to help me with new work we're trying to get, and I'm debating between just buying it myself and keeping it (it would likely be useful throughout my career) or using my company card and leaving it behind if I move on.
Old 02-18-19, 05:04 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Maybe not geeky, but I'm looking for more technicalish people (engineers specifically, but anyone really).

If there's a book you want for work for reference (but not a reference book, more of a textbook), do you buy it or does your company buy it? Who owns all those books on the engineer's shelves?

The only books I have at work came from college, so they're mine, but there's a new textbook I want to help me with new work we're trying to get, and I'm debating between just buying it myself and keeping it (it would likely be useful throughout my career) or using my company card and leaving it behind if I move on.
if you buy it with company money then it’s theirs.

That said I have bought many books on company expense accounts and they have moved with me from job to job. Usually the info becomes dated or the book is otherwise considered an expense - not an asset so no one ever cares.

No one wants my old copy of .asp scripting for dummies. My Machinery’s Handbook was mine but the latest edition I got on the company dime. Part of doing business.
Old 02-18-19, 05:08 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
In other words - if you end up with a pen from work that makes its way home with you - technically it’s theirs but it’s been expended and it’s not a huge deal.

Start buying boxes of pens pens and taking them home then we have an ethical issue.
Old 02-18-19, 05:34 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
In other words - if you end up with a pen from work that makes its way home with you - technically it’s theirs but it’s been expended and it’s not a huge deal.

Start buying boxes of pens pens and taking them home then we have an ethical issue.
Yeah, it was more of a customs question than ethics. Mainly just whether it's common to buy your own books or have the company buy them and then leave them behind.
Old 02-18-19, 09:25 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Yeah, it was more of a customs question than ethics. Mainly just whether it's common to buy your own books or have the company buy them and then leave them behind.
They buy them and you leave them behind.
Old 04-16-19, 01:47 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Do you ever see something at work that seems dumb, and then you spend the rest of the day second guessing yourself why they did it that way? Surely it's not as simple as I'm making it and I'm missing something, otherwise why would they have done it that way?

I did that for a while today. As far as everything was labeled and I could tell, someone spent a lot of money to do something dumb, and I didn't want to replicate it when I updated some stuff that was involved.

Turns out I was in fact missing something, which was essentially institutional knowledge that made something that seemed like one thing actually be something else.

At least we figured it out eventually, and I learned something, which is a good day at work if I learn something.
Old 04-22-19, 11:39 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Radio for cycling racer communication?
Does anyone have a good one? I'm interested in what is out there.

Certainly battery, water resistance, size is important.

Nice to have stereo.
Old 06-02-19, 05:24 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Anyone know of an app that will let me use an unused Samsung S4 (no SIM) as a security camera? It just needs to connect to my wifi and become a webcam I can access with my S8.

Going away for a couple weeks and want to monitor a little project.
Old 06-03-19, 05:59 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
There are VNC apps for Android you could in theory use - as in open up the Camera app on the device then VNC to it.

It's also possible to do this on the cheap using something like a Raspberry Pi and the camera module, you could probably get it going for $50 or so.

my race videos
Old 06-04-19, 09:10 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Maybe look for a baby camera?
Old 04-24-20, 01:49 PM
topflightpro

We recently purchased a Roku to watch Netflix on our main TV rather than plug in the laptop.

The thing is, my home audio receiver is nearly 20 years old, so it predates HDMI connects. This has not been a problem until now. So, I found a converter on Amazon that will take the HDMI and split it to component video and optical audio. The converter arrived today, but the new optical cable is still on it's way.

I'm hoping this allows me to run the Roku through my receiver, so I don't have to keep switching TV inputs. But we will see.
Old 04-30-20, 11:14 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

We do something similar, but still on laptop. Our receiver is somewhat modern (Yamaha HTR-3065) and takes HDMI though. Ours goes laptop to TV, TV (audio) to receiver w optical cable. Controls are wireless keyboard and mouse. I really like the Yamaha - as an amp the thing has some serious juice. Way more than we'd ever need/use in this apartment, even with somewhat basic speakers and sub.
Old 05-01-20, 07:21 AM
topflightpro

UPDATE: The adapter works well. I get a little notice every now and again on the screen regarding resolution, but otherwise, it works fine. $60 solution to keep my receiver going.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-10-20, 09:30 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
We do something similar, but still on laptop. Our receiver is somewhat modern (Yamaha HTR-3065) and takes HDMI though. Ours goes laptop to TV, TV (audio) to receiver w optical cable. Controls are wireless keyboard and mouse. I really like the Yamaha - as an amp the thing has some serious juice. Way more than we'd ever need/use in this apartment, even with somewhat basic speakers and sub.
What sort of speakers and sub? I just recently started reading up (somewhat obsessively since I couldn't go around to test listen) and splurged a bit on home audio upgrades. Found a sweet refurbished deal on some JBL Studio speakers and "invested" in a HSU subwoofer.
Old 05-10-20, 09:56 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

They're just the basic ones that came with the receiver:

Speakers: Yamaha NS-AP2600S(BL)
Sub: Yamaha YST-SW012

I think separately they'd retail for like a hundred or so each. If I was investing in a system now, I'd probably spring for some wireless speakers, but I think your receiver needs to have bluetooth or chromecast or something. I've yet to actually confiure "surround sound" for that reason as we haven't bothered to find a slick way to wire speakers on the opposite wall as the TV/receiver/ent. system. The receiver has ports for 5 + the sub of course.

A lot of wireless speakers have their own functionality and app that needs to be configured through your mobile, which my parents have. This is kinda cool, but nothing something I want to deal with. My parents place is like that now. I'd rather the control stay centralized at the receiver/TV, which is coming from the laptop (as I type this). Maybe if I had a big house with multiple rooms and wanted to be able to control from afar that would be helpful, but for this 2 br apartment I prefer the control from the laptop.
Old 08-21-20, 02:52 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
here's a place for you jag offs to post about coding.

let's get back to analyzing burn the sheep's marriage
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 08-21-20, 07:00 PM
Flatballer
No matches

burnthesheep yeah, my main experience and what I'm back to consulting on now is GE e-terra stuff for electric utilities. A small field, mostly older guys, lots of room to be in demand for many years, and I don't have to manage anybody to make good money.
Old 08-22-20, 08:35 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
My career was electric power engineering designing electrical systems for electric power plants moving into project management and then business development and finance and global electric power project development and private equity.

My goal was to develop large projects / deals and turn them over rapidly to third party investors and lenders generating fees and investment opportunities. Technical details were important but generally at the bottom of the attention list other than to get a sign off by an independent engineer or environmental regulator.

We watched the film documentary Tesla last night. It was just released. The movie is not that great but for power geeks and those of us in the power industry, it featured Tesla, Edison, JP Morgan and others and their personalities and interaction developing the devices and systems that were fundamental to the modern power grid and prime moving equipment.
Old 08-22-20, 08:47 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Hermes
My career was electric power engineering designing electrical systems for electric power plants moving into project management and then business development and finance and global electric power project development and private equity.

My goal was to develop large projects / deals and turn them over rapidly to third party investors and lenders generating fees and investment opportunities. Technical details were important but generally at the bottom of the attention list other than to get a sign off by an independent engineer or environmental regulator.

We watched the film documentary Tesla last night. It was just released. The movie is not that great but for power geeks and those of us in the power industry, it featured Tesla, Edison, JP Morgan and others and their personalities and interaction developing the devices and systems that were fundamental to the modern power grid and prime moving equipment.
Sounds like that movie is covering the same stuff as the book Empires of Light. I haven't seen the documentary, but the book was really good. It's an interesting thing between the three you mentioned plus Westinghouse.
Old 08-28-20, 08:14 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Holy crap. This place has gone down to the S-hole place that Trump said about some countries.

i don't think that I will be back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.