Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Just, wow.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 02:50 PM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Grammar could be your friend ... in a different world.

What you just said is that you will no longer engage the bullies and will also will no longer try to be nice, encouraging, and helpful to others.

I assume you meant to say that you plan to stop helping the bullies bully others and will now be surly and snarky to everyone?

Seeking clarification.

Well that is comforting to know,,,,, see he's doing his part to just fit in,,, and to gel sort of speak......
Old 05-24-19, 02:53 PM
BKE

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeme
This forum seems to have a few know-it-all, snarky bullies on it that make it unpleasant to use. It's no surprise, forums of all topics have them. In response, I will no longer engage them and instead try to be nice, encouraging, and helpful to others.
I had a question before even finishing your first sentence but you knew it was coming didn't you? Is it ok to throw in some well meaning sarcastic humor if, like myself, there is usually no SME content to share?

Last edited by BKE; 05-24-19 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-24-19, 03:15 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
You should see what happens when you get started on reverse mortgages and how things were better in the 60's
I myself have often wondered what happened to the laid back days of old.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 05-24-19, 03:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
Seconded. I have several people on ignore.
same
Old 05-24-19, 03:32 PM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
The ignore list is a wonderful thing.
Damn, I didn't even know that existed, lol

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I see you recently bumped into fietsbob in the mechanics sub forum.
The error was in thinking he is human. Bob's actually an AI program that parses data together to try and create human like interactions. Sometimes it works so so and sometimes it's a real trip.
Try to think of his writing as beat generation, psychedelic inspired haiku without the usual 5,7,5 constraint
No way! That would explain alot of things. Like how he posts on everything, where does he get the time for all that? I mean with 8 bikes, shouldn't one be out riding? Also he rarely makes sense, often responds with no context and the formating is all messed up.

Or are you just playing me?

If you are, then I will feel like a real idiot for falling for it. Sorry bob.

Kret
Old 05-24-19, 04:48 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I myself have often wondered what happened to the laid back days of old.

-Tim-
Father Time and age. Kids nowadays have no idea what an abbacus is.
Jon
Old 05-24-19, 05:09 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon T
Father Time and age. Kids nowadays have no idea what an abbacus is.
Jon
But when one bursts they sure want it removed in a hurry.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 05-24-19, 05:57 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
DANG, this is like Déjà vu

AGAIN and Again and again and again and
Old 05-24-19, 06:29 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Just try to learn something from everything you read here. This forum can be a great bicycle education tool.
Old 05-24-19, 06:47 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Just try to learn something from everything you read here. This forum can be a great bicycle education tool.
That's the way to look at it. Only so much about a bicycle to talk about but still theres something to learn. If nothing else cycling is diverse. I love every bit of the passion, know it allness and snarkiness whether I agree or not. Otherwise just read a bike manual.
And Bob may be the only normal one here.

Last edited by hillyman; 05-24-19 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-24-19, 07:06 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
This forum seems to have a few know-it-all, snarky bullies on it that make it unpleasant to use. It's no surprise, forums of all topics have them. In response, I will no longer engage them and instead try to be nice, encouraging, and helpful to others.
darn

good for us to know
Old 05-24-19, 07:53 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
What exactly does it do?
Does it makes threads started by that person invisible, or any response they give to someone else's thread?

Or does it just disable email notification for if that person responds?

Not trying to be snarky or bullying, BTW. ��
Email notification? What email notification???

I turned the email notification off ages ago.

Putting a person on the ignore list means that when you read a thread, you don't see their responses ... unless someone else quotes them. So if the OP had you on ignore, he would not see your post, but he would see it here because I quoted you.

So if you suspect that someone has another person on ignore ... quote the "ignored" person. That way the person who put that person on ignore won't miss out on the ignored person's thread.

Last edited by Machka; 05-24-19 at 07:57 PM.
Likes For Machka:
Old 05-24-19, 08:21 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Chain lube, self-defense, dogs, frame material, bike weight ... there is simply nothing sensible to be said on any of those topics which hasn't been ignored repeatedly in dozens of threads.
Have we tried to make a bike using a frame material composed of defensive dogs that self lubricates? I assume the bike weight to be equivalent to carbon since dogs are made of carbon.
Likes For CycleryNorth81:
Old 05-24-19, 10:53 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Just, wow.
This forum seems to have a few know-it-all, snarky bullies on it that make it unpleasant to use. It's no surprise, forums of all topics have them.

In response, I will no longer engage them and instead try to be nice, encouraging, and helpful to others.
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Personally I go both ways.

I try to post helpful and thoughtful (or though-provoking) comments, except when I don't.

There's a number of topics that have been thoroughly hashed, and re-hashed, digested and even excreted several times. For those, snarky sarcasm comes out.

It's an on-line forum, and I sometimes respond as if my brother in law's string had been pulled and the normal guff starts out, and I respond naturally.

Hopefully the reader can tell the difference.
Originally Posted by wipekitty
See what happens when you get a bunch of grumpy old guys together to talk about bikes?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
"Likes" or "Points" [for] members"

After about 10 years here I have my preferences (and my own choices for the ones I consider “pills,” who are nonetheless fun to read).
I have previously posted to a now-closed thread:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I think I have absorbed all the good advice I can for a complete and agreeable cycling lifestyle, and recently I have clicked on many fewer threads than before.

In the past I have offered IMO several useful suggestions about cycling, particularly for winter and urban cycling, to multiple repetitive threads. They are usually lost in the morass of often scores of replies, both in agreement and dispute with mine.

I’m not especially motivated to read or write about rides in areas I will never visit, or bikes I would not buy.
Other cyclists’ biking stories are often meaningful to me, but usually not consequential enough for a reply.

Frankly, now my main enjoyment is reading the personal clashes on the various threads, such as these current ones: "I work with a moron", or ”How often do you check your mirror?.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-25-19 at 04:01 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 05-24-19, 10:53 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
There are some who read and there are some who reply. And then there are some who reply that don't read. What a mess ......
Likes For BirdsBikeBinocs:
Old 05-24-19, 11:33 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,403 Times in 898 Posts
Indeed.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 05-24-19, 11:47 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
But when one bursts they sure want it removed in a hurry.
Apparently, you don't know what an abbacus is either. What you described is an ABSCESS.
Jon
Old 05-25-19, 12:49 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
No... I'm pretty sure an abscess is the positive form of recess. Like concave and convex.
An abbacus is a little dingle hopper that humans don't need any more so the doctors take it out when it bursts.
Old 05-25-19, 12:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
No... I'm pretty sure an abscess is the positive form of recess. Like concave and convex.
An abbacus is a little dingle hopper that humans don't need any more so the doctors take it out when it bursts.
No no no. An abbacus is something an angry abba would say.
Old 05-25-19, 01:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Machka
Email notification? What email notification???

I turned the email notification off ages ago.

Putting a person on the ignore list means that when you read a thread, you don't see their responses ... unless someone else quotes them. So if the OP had you on ignore, he would not see your post, but he would see it here because I quoted you.

So if you suspect that someone has another person on ignore ... quote the "ignored" person. That way the person who put that person on ignore won't miss out on the ignored person's thread.
The big question is what would happen if I put me on my ignore list and whether it would affect the space time continuum.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-25-19, 01:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
There are some who read and there are some who reply. And then there are some who reply that don't read. What a mess ......
Seriously, have you ever considered starting a thread about bird watching and bikes? I'd be curious to know how that works and whether there are other people on the forum who use bikes for that.

I don't know enough about bird watching to know if there's special strategy needed to use bikes, but I always like to learn things about how other people use bikes. My vision and color blindness kind of limit any potential for being a good bird watcher myself.

If you wanted to make the thread more general, maybe it could be about crossing bicycling with other hobbies.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-25-19, 01:33 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I like a bit of bird-watching, occasionally. Course, you have to be subtle, it can scare them off if they know.
Old 05-25-19, 01:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I see you recently bumped into fietsbob in the mechanics sub forum.
The error was in thinking he is human. Bob's actually an AI program that parses data together to try and create human like interactions. Sometimes it works so so and sometimes it's a real trip.
Try to think of his writing as beat generation, psychedelic inspired haiku without the usual 5,7,5 constraint
This could be a great parlor game: Write your own fietsbob response to the thread. Here's my entry:

we called guys like that "ginger" snaps because no one liked that cookie much

i wore socks made of dirty blond hemp and rubber bands but you cant get "real" rubber bands any more
Old 05-25-19, 07:56 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
It’s only an Internet forum, pretty hard to get upset about that! Face to face with real people, then you might have something to get upset about. Personally I find it pretty hard to be “virtually” offended.
Tim
Old 05-25-19, 08:05 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
A co-worker showed me the softball forums he participates in. I believe snark, spite and bullying are pre-requisites there. While there is some occasional unpleasantness here, bikeforums has very little to worry about. Thanks to our moderators and the fact that cycling generates more endorphins than softball.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.