Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rain riding

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rain riding

Old 06-19-19, 04:12 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
As a cycle commuter with convenient Commuter Rail alternative, I check Weather.com forecasts starting five days prior. On the day of a ride, if it looks questionable I check current Doppler to decide, and depending on the conditions if I ride in the rain I use my beater road bike.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
The Doppler looked threatening, and sky was cloudy at 6 AM in Kenmore Square, so I took the beater bike and brought my rain gear to Norwood, but got no rain. In any case I have the rain bike to take home to keep the road bike clean if it still rains later.

Just this year [2009] inspired by BF I have accepted riding in the rain. I used to consider it a game: if I rode and it rained, or I didn't ride and it didn't rain, I lost; if I rode with no rain or didn't ride and it rained, I won. Now I win or lose depending if I ride with the appropriate bike: beater in the rain, road bike when dry.
For a recreational ride or extended training ride, I probably won’t go.
"How do you guys deal with two days straight of rain/cold?"

Yes, maybe the rain falling from up above is pleasant, but what about road spray?
I once read an amusing post where the subscriber described the water splashed off of the road as a solution of chemicals, grime, and "liquified road kill."
My preference for "dry" roads extends to those I consider "damp," with no puddles and no active rain.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-19-19 at 06:52 AM.
Old 06-19-19, 06:16 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I hope some of the comments are jokes

Rain (precipitation) affects us physically and psychologically; and no one in their right mind would deny the significant change in physics involved while riding a bike (or any mechanical device) during a rainstorm or wet conditions.

Its also #1 when it comes to corrosion and significant damage to ALL materials -- metals, and composites. There's so much information to the contrary of positive, that it could fill a database. Basically, the opposite of some "good for you" statements.

"Of those deaths and injuries related to weather, 46% occurred during rainfall, and fully 73% occurred on wet roads. When you contrast those statistics with the 27% of accidents that occurred during snowy and icy road conditions, it is even clearer that wet road conditions are perhaps the single greatest weather-related accident risk factor today’s drivers face."
Most accidents are within 5 miles of your home. I go 5 miles away then start to avoid that additional risk.
Likes For u235:
Old 06-19-19, 06:28 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
I have rain gear and I will commute in the rain, and put on all my lights and helmet lights. But if the sky really opens up and I think most car's wipers can't keep up with the rain, I won't ride, or if I'm already underway, I wait it out.

On the weekends I usually won'y ride for pleasure in the rain.
Old 06-19-19, 06:45 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I have a system of only picking one of several environmental "evils" to deal with on my ride.

If I have to choose more than one, indoors ride instead or no ride.

These are:
-darkness
-high heat
-really cold
-precipitation
-heavy wind (zero points if combined with high heat or darkness)

So, with this logic it would go:
dark + cold = no
dark + rain = no
cold + rain/snow = no
Old 06-19-19, 06:50 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I make it a point to never ride in tsunamis, no matter what the ambient temperature.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 06-19-19, 10:15 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Most accidents are within 5 miles of your home. I go 5 miles away then start to avoid that additional risk.
I've discovered that riding your bike drastically increases wear and tear on components.

A lot of schmucks go through 2-3 chains and sets of tires alone every single year. Not only does that cost hundreds of dollars, but their tires look like carp. But if you don't ride your bike, those tires will still look like new 12 months later!

It's great for resale value too -- you'll easily get twice as much if your bike looks new than if it's dinged up. KA-CHING!
Likes For banerjek:
Old 06-19-19, 10:34 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
My primary goal in riding my bike is to maintain/increase my fitness. With that in mind, when it is going to rain or the roads are extremely wet, I'll just get on the trainer. I've done plenty of rain rides (did a century 3 weeks ago where the first 2 hours were in a steady rain), and it's just annoying to constantly have to deep-clean my bike. For whatever reason the headset bearings in my bike also tend to fail very quickly when I've done a couple of rain rides, so it's just not worth the trouble/expense to me.
Old 06-19-19, 11:44 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I agree with the Mighty KraneXL---most cyclists aren't smart enough to ride well in the rain. After all, between a fifth and a third of accidents involving cyclists supposedly happened in the rain.

Oh, wait ... those are numbers for Automobiles. So ... more bogus data.

Also ... death and injuries related to weather ... so if weather made you crash, in your car, it likely wasn't a tornado ... Brilliant! Yeah, rain and snow are pretty much All the "weather" which most drivers face .... so yeah, if weather is a factor, rain or snow would be the prime suspects. Not tsunamis, I guess.

As I mentioned in another post, I rode pretty much daily for nearly two decades in the cycling-death capital of the country (at that time.) I rode when I had to, regardless of weather.

You know who else does that stuff? Kids. So if children can handle it, I guess I can be childish.

Yeah, you do have to take the lane a lot more, and you have to be extra cautious around cars, and you can't storm into corners like a racer. But I rode steel rims for quite a while (because they were cheap, and that's what came on the cheap bikes I pulled from the trash and Frankensteined together.) So the idea that no one can stop in the rain ...

Say, who here as never heard of "bicycle racing"?

Racers go downhill at ridiculous speeds, wet or dry. And they do it (for the most part) safely. If no one could stop in the rain, every rainy stage would be postponed or canceled. And there is ample evidence that racers race in the rain ... so ...

Yeah, if people are Afraid of riding in the rain, that is legitimate, and I respect those people for recognizing their limitations ("A good man knows his limitations," Mr. Eastwood told us.) I have had to face my fear-based limitations both in road-riding and more particularly in MTB riding. We all want to be Mr. Macho, but sometimes I would stop at the top of a drop-in and just say "No." I know that if I am afraid enough, I won't have the fine motor control to pull off the descent, and I will crash--I learned the heard (-headed) way. So for those people afraid to ride in the rain---bravo.

But don't try to sell the rest of the world on the idea that it is impossible just because you choose not to do it. Some people even enjoy it. You aren't wrong---and neither are they.

I just missed a week of riding because every day I waited to see if it would rain and by the time it either did or didn't I had missed my window of riding time. No more. I am ready to hit the road regardless.
this. it's one thing missing a week riding while recovering from injury/illness, it's quite another missing a week of riding because you were waiting for "favorable" conditions.
Old 06-19-19, 01:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I'm about to run an errand on the bike in some light drizzle. It's been nice knowing you all!

P.S. I survived, against all odds. I got frightfully damp, though.

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 06-19-19 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-20-19, 09:00 AM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts

Racers go downhill at ridiculous speeds, wet or dry. And they do it (for the most part) safely. If no one could stop in the rain, every rainy stage would be postponed or canceled. And there is ample evidence that racers race in the rain ... so ...
A closed course is a little different. So is being paid to do it (or have the potential for it). And it's also nice to have a team of mechanics to lube your chain and replaced your components for free if they're a bit gritty.

Sure, it's totally possible to ride in the rain and do so safely. But it's a heck of a lot easier for a professional than for an amateur enthusiast.
Old 06-20-19, 11:29 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
People ride a lot on other than dry smooth pavement. Some ride 1000's of miles a year in gravel, dust, and and dirt with or without moisture or water and mud. You are not telling them something they do not already know or deal with and have direct experience with. They are not dying off and spending any appreciable amount more money keeping their gear going. Someone telling me I am lucky to be alive or I am bankrupting myself or spending to much time keeping it going does not make sense. I ride the bike and think of my enjoyment and experience first, I don't care what the chain, cassette, or some random bearing is going though. Until that chain or cassette eventually impacts my experience then I will deal with it and it's cheap and quick to resolve myself. Me first, bike second. In my case, I'll just get wet or dirty. Decent workout/biking clothes can only hold a finite amount of water and its not much. I am not commuting. On that note though.. I was in Puget Sound for about 6 months and rode my bike back and forth to work (plus a ferry ride), maybe 5 miles each way. I swear it rained every single day I was there. I paid $25 for the bike when I got there and sold it for $25 when I left. I don't recall doing anything to it but topping off with air and some chain lube.

Last edited by u235; 06-20-19 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-20-19, 12:00 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
Sure, it's totally possible to ride in the rain and do so safely. But it's a heck of a lot easier for a professional than for an amateur enthusiast.
Why? I have been riding in the rain for decades, and I am not a pro ... and I don't see many safety issues which common sense and careful riding cannot overcome.

Yesterday I got caught in one of the thunder-downpours with high winds (28 mph) where the raindrops come in horizontally with eyeball-bruising force. I was fine except for the very worst gusts, where slick pavement and gusty winds had me weaving a little---so i downshifted and rode on the grass until the road curved a little and i was not head-on into the gusts. Otherwise, it was just riding .... I coped easily with rain, wind, traffic, ... and enjoyed the whole thing immensely.

My point about pros is that they ride in the rain .... even in the snow if it comes mid-course .... and they don't just keel over and die.

Anyone who feels s/he is not competent to ride in given conditions should pull ove rand park, or stay home. I agree. I however, though not a pro or even a particularly good rider, have proven able to navigate near hurricanes, tremendous downpours, bitter cold, blazing heat (both with and without humidity) and I am just some fat old guy. I don't understand why just anybody could not manage riding iin the rain.

Not saying anyone Should ... but people who are afraid need to separate their fears, which are irrational and internal and totally personal, from the conditions under which those fears arrise.

Look, some people are afraid of the dark.That doesn't mean I cannot ride at night---safely.
Old 06-20-19, 04:02 PM
ridethetown

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Specialized Diverge Sport, 2018 Santa Cruz Bronson S Aluminum 27.5, 2014 Wabi Classic (Fixed)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
If I'm training for something, need to get miles, and there's no viable window in the forecast, I ride. If I'm good on miles but want a workout, I'll go to spin class, swim, do yoga or something else.

When I lived on the North Coast, I'd ride in the rain all the time (or else you just don't ride much). Now, I put up with it early in the season, knowing by midsummer it will be scorchingly dry and everything will be on fire. It's hard for anyone out west to really begrudge rain these days, though I still found myself complaining this year with our exceptionally wet May.
Old 06-23-19, 03:37 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman
If it's raining or even drizzling, I won't start a ride.
But if it begins to rain while I'm out riding, I just ignore and keep riding.
I have cycling buds that have the same view and I will never understand the logic of this argument. Never.
Old 06-23-19, 06:32 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Why? I have been riding in the rain for decades, and I am not a pro ... and I don't see many safety issues which common sense and careful riding cannot overcome.
Really Maelochs? I already gave you several examples that have nothing to do with common sense. In fact, it that philosophy were applied to its conclusion, you wouldn't go riding in the rain.
Yesterday I got caught in one of the thunder-downpours with high winds (28 mph) where the raindrops come in horizontally with eyeball-bruising force. I was fine except for the very worst gusts, where slick pavement and gusty winds had me weaving a little---so i downshifted and rode on the grass until the road curved a little and i was not head-on into the gusts. Otherwise, it was just riding .... I coped easily with rain, wind, traffic, ... and enjoyed the whole thing immensely.

My point about pros is that they ride in the rain .... even in the snow if it comes mid-course .... and they don't just keel over and die.

Anyone who feels s/he is not competent to ride in given conditions should pull ove rand park, or stay home. I agree. I however, though not a pro or even a particularly good rider, have proven able to navigate near hurricanes, tremendous downpours, bitter cold, blazing heat (both with and without humidity) and I am just some fat old guy. I don't understand why just anybody could not manage riding iin the rain.

Not saying anyone Should ... but people who are afraid need to separate their fears, which are irrational and internal and totally personal, from the conditions under which those fears arrise.

Look, some people are afraid of the dark.That doesn't mean I cannot ride at night---safely.
It was never a question of competence (although a prudent person might follow that course). Rather, the point was a decrease in the margin of safety, and increased likelihood of the occurrence of an accident or injury. In that, the issue is unquestionably greater. If anyone can't see that then they're irrational and no amount of proof or data will convince them.
Old 06-23-19, 09:30 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
As it is, as a weekend recreational rider, I already give my bike a full cleaning/detail after each ride which takes enough time as it is. The thought of also cleaning actual muck and dirt off, no thanks. Just the other day I found myself slowly rolling through some water that trickled across an MUP which was a bit of a drag, had a little extra cleaning to do when I got home.

So no, I don't ride in rain...BUT...I love rain, love running in it, and if I could bring myself to not care about either of my bikes, I would actually look forward to going out in the cold, dark, sloppy weather.

Oh, but wind? Never. F that. No enjoyment either running or cycling in wind, at all. Guess I should buy myself some deep carbon wheels.