Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 07-07-19, 08:11 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
I took my heaviness threshold climbing yesterday. There is nothing more motivating to count calories than climbing repeats. It was a perfect day for climbing with lighter winds, overcast skies and temps in the high 60s. There was a lot of traffic along PCH. For the locals, Rose Canyon bike path has been redone it is amazing, fast and like nothing else I have seen in SoCal. They spent a fortune on this.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-07-19, 01:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Saturday River Ride "A" version. Did better than expected. Held on till about a mile from the final sprint and then even my Jedi Master tricks could not keep me attached. 165tss, and season highs for 60' and 90' HR, which I think can be expected from two weeks off the bike.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-07-19, 07:32 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Biking buddy is moving away so went out with him and a couple of other people for a chill 3.5 hours. Wind was blowing something fierce. I'm still sick with so much gunk in my lungs. Tomorrow is completly off the bike, and I'm hoping I've got this worked out before saturday.
Old 07-07-19, 09:13 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Group ride up Oak Glen, I decided to go all out and was just short of the fastest 45+ time....No way I'm hitting some of these KOMs so I just go for fast old ppl times.

Sitting at 90 CTL, I may just take a recovery week, since my power keeps sliding in the wrong direction.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 07-07-19, 10:54 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Rode a bunch this weekend- 40 mile gravel ride with friends on 4th of July, 30 mile group ride on Fri, solo 20 mile climbing ride on Sat. I was planning on an early morning mtb climb today prior to a baby shower I was attending but: tired legs, took a rest day.

Ive agreed to ride a 100 mile ride with a friend in two weeks, to Santa Barbara via Ojai and Ventura. Yikes, I’ve not ridden anything that long in a very long time. Better get crackin.

Next weekend, I’m going to try for the women’s Merckx course record at Piru. I noticed that it is low hanging fruit when a male friend got the men’s Merckx CR a few months ago. Might as well give it a try while I’m in the summer sort of off season.

In three weekends, I head up to Mammoth with a friend for the Trek Dirt Series Women’s mtb clinic. Hopefully they’ll have the snow cleared out of the bike park by then. 🙄
Likes For Heathpack:
Old 07-08-19, 06:08 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
In my little week of riding with myself, I took a pretty balanced approach. A good blend of intensity in the gym at work or on the hammer ride, some longer solo gravel work with SS, and a long Saturday group ride for 90 miles (about 20 solo miles).

A Cat 3 guy and I asked to head on in the two of us to get in some training time during the ride. We just pulled hard as we could for a minute then swapped and kept going till we hit a light or a stop. Heading into town it's a bit advantageous to speed, maybe wind maybe some hill.........we were clipping 28 to 30mph for several miles just the two of us............fun, and painful.

Wound up getting it to 60 CTL and 90 ATL at the close of the week.

In tracking zones separate, I can see over time my Z4 time is diverging from Z3. It appeared that for a long time those two were usually about equal. Now Z4 is clearly taking the win over 3. Not sure what that would be. I think perhaps it's a legit bump in power in an area. I bet those would converge again if in a month I test out to a little higher power.

I'm thinking about maybe an easy recovery spin at work today, even after a day off yesterday.

Then go into higher intensity every other day until I go on vacation.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-08-19, 11:17 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

It was dumb to try, but it worked out. I went after the 3x3 workout again and managed. Still that very last rep getting me. Probably would have gotten it if I had waited a day. I'm not used to ever having really really negative TSB. Pretty sure I tasted copper during the 3rd rep on the first set.

I just really wanted to do an "every other day" pattern this week for M/W/F for the hard workouts instead of relying on a weekend day. It's easy to fit in a hard 40 to 45min workout into my lunch periods during the week.

Now, I hope there's one of those cookies left in the kitchen for my afternoon coffee!!!! Or my covfefe.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-09-19, 07:14 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
30 minute commute. Easy pace.

I've been trying out intermittent fasting (the 16/8 style), and it worked well yesterday (the first day I really committed) for the most part, except I didn't eat enough once I broke my fast, so then my dinner was huge and filling and I felt like crap. Last night was a late night, finished eating about 10:30 (we're terrible about having dessert late after we get the kids down, we're working on it).

For an easy 30 minute commute, would you continue your fast and aim for the 16 hours still, or would you eat a little recovery/protein bar (couple hundred calories, still less than I burned by a few calories) and then eat normal lunch time, or have your recovery bar and then continue your fast until 16 hours as if you hadn't eaten?

This morning I opted to eat and then I think I'll probably continue my fast until 2 or so.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 07-09-19, 07:51 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I rode around Acadia national park yesterday, my first time there, and it was pretty awesome. I went up cadillac mountain, a 3.3mile climb around 5% avg. Wanted to do 300w but I settled with a NP of 268, which was way off but a good tempo, and I got up just under 20mins. I can take solace that if I were on a road bike instead of my cx bike with knobby tires I'd be up a bit faster.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 07-09-19, 11:57 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
5 rides in the last 7 days.

Its like im actually riding again
Likes For Wylde06:
Old 07-09-19, 02:02 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Fiesta Island 30 second interval routine. My coach has a entire gaggle of workouts that feature 30s on and etc. Today was 30 on one minute off. 3x8. I killed this workout. It was not a chainless day but an alien takeover versus abduction. Something alien took over my body and I could do anything. I did 24, 30 second high power intervals and the last ones were my best. A guy goes by on a TT bike who had passed me previously on an off segment. I just started a an on segment so I matched his speed at 390 watts on my road bike in the drops about 10 bike lengths back. When the time was up, I went to z1 mode setting up for the next interval but I could have kept going.

And I hit a new all time high for a seated start by 100 watts. Okay...enough of the front door bragging. I assume the alien will leave my body and I will be back to my old self tomorrow.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-09-19, 02:04 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

And I did check my SRM calibration...3 times.
Old 07-09-19, 02:22 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Fiesta Island 30 second interval routine. My coach has a entire gaggle of workouts that feature 30s on and etc. Today was 30 on one minute off. 3x8. I killed this workout. It was not a chainless day but an alien takeover versus abduction. Something alien took over my body and I could do anything. I did 24, 30 second high power intervals and the last ones were my best. A guy goes by on a TT bike who had passed me previously on an off segment. I just started a an on segment so I matched his speed at 390 watts on my road bike in the drops about 10 bike lengths back. When the time was up, I went to z1 mode setting up for the next interval but I could have kept going.

And I hit a new all time high for a seated start by 100 watts. Okay...enough of the front door bragging. I assume the alien will leave my body and I will be back to my old self tomorrow.
Love that feeling. I had this a couple weeks ago doing 4x8's, felt like I was going too easy but hit an all time best power on the 4th one.
Old 07-09-19, 03:37 PM
furiousferret

In my best fitness I would do 2 weeks train / 1 week recovery. I always thought this was suboptimal as it kept my TSS 70-80 so this year I changed it up. Last 2 cycles I did 4 /1 and 3/1 and I'm gassed. I'm not sure if my body needs to catch up to the training load but my power has been dropping and I've felt sluggish so I'm going back to 2/1 for the time being.

Everything says I should be doing a hard week but my body says otherwise, so its going to be an easy week.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 07-09-19, 03:48 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
In my best fitness I would do 2 weeks train / 1 week recovery. I always thought this was suboptimal as it kept my TSS 70-80 so this year I changed it up. Last 2 cycles I did 4 /1 and 3/1 and I'm gassed. I'm not sure if my body needs to catch up to the training load but my power has been dropping and I've felt sluggish so I'm going back to 2/1 for the time being.

Everything says I should be doing a hard week but my body says otherwise, so its going to be an easy week.
Smart man.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 07-10-19, 11:01 AM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret

Change week to year and thats me
Likes For Wylde06:
Old 07-10-19, 02:27 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Saturday River Ride "A" version. Did better than expected. Held on till about a mile from the final sprint and then even my Jedi Master tricks could not keep me attached. 165tss, and season highs for 60' and 90' HR, which I think can be expected from two weeks off the bike.
When I first started racing I was in Sacramento, and the Tuesday and Saturday rides were some of the first fast rides I did. At the time they seemed impossibly fast, and I couldn't always get around the Tuesday. I think I tried the Saturday a couple times and never made it. It feels like a bucket list thing now to go back and hang on the Saturday ride where my racing began, before I get too much older.
Likes For Yep:
Old 07-11-19, 11:40 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Still trying to manage some weekly intensity and overall volume before my vacation week and a 1/2 in August.

New record CTL for me at 62. I've always carried one in the upper 40's to maybe a week or so near 50.

Gravel last night. A GCN workout at lunch today that was at a level that I should be good for intensity on Friday's workout.

I got a PR on a long technical and punchy section despite having to dawdle getting around slower riders from a team practicing in there at the same time. Then someone had a flat up ahead from that group and they had stopped and were slowing/clogging the trail and I lost time. Just something to look forward to another day!

Not looking forward to either 3x3's tomorrow or 3x8's. I did a GCN show workout at lunch today to keep things moving where it was SS with a short punch 3x per set.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-11-19, 01:14 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
BTS, sounds like you're ready to do your first crit on Saturday.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 07-11-19, 04:19 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
So you're encouraging him to do the Regional Championships for his first race? In all seriousness, I expect it will be a light turnout. They've scheduled it against 2 other races nearby: pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I won't be there -- going camping -- despite secretly coveting a regional road title.
Old 07-11-19, 05:26 PM
furiousferret

Just passed 6000 miles on the year (350 hours) and its that part of the year where I have to fight burnout. Listening to a podcast the other day I found even pro's have the same issue (which is encouraging that others share the misery). My results haven't been good which adds to that; out of the 3 races I've targeted 2 have been cancelled and one I got sick and didn't make it a mile in. So there are 3 more I have a realistic chance for a result (i.e. not a crit) and I'll more or less be done in early September. Definitely not going to take a break though just ride for fun for a few weeks so I don't get out of shape.

I also found out we have an awesome MTB park 20 minutes from work. I've never been an off road person but it looks really fun:

(incoming 'welp I broke my collarbone' post)
Old 07-12-19, 06:16 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by tobukog
So you're encouraging him to do the Regional Championships for his first race? In all seriousness, I expect it will be a light turnout. They've scheduled it against 2 other races nearby: pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I won't be there -- going camping -- despite secretly coveting a regional road title.
It's a cat 5 race. What's the difference between the regional championship and any other event?

And yeah, I expect turnout to be light too, which is another reason why it might be worth doing. Plus, it's a pretty safe parking lot course. Have fun camping, though I thought I heard you'd be racing tonight?
Old 07-12-19, 07:35 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

No, no crit bike necessary. It's just that I've already carbon repaired this one once in a slip-up.

It's mostly a kids and work thing. The local scene is awesome. Just that my availability to do stuff sucks. That's on me.

This year I did the CH RR, the Cary Duathlon, and an informal DPTT by Carborro.

I've been in Umstead a lot for the UGG, but it's not happening this year. Cancelled permanently. Last year was fun. Dirt Diggler is far enough out I could maybe beg for a freebie to go do that. That distance is in my gravel wheelhouse too for going non-stop.

Also, local cross has more than one race at Dix. I can ride to Dix from my house. I made a bad assumption about the BHB mountain bike series and could have gone to that this summer. I just saw "MTB" and glossed over. There's nothing on that track after going up there to look that a CX bike couldn't do. Just rhythm the jump instead of jumping it.
Old 07-13-19, 08:36 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Gym yesterday. The new less rep routine seems okay...so far. Box jumped 24 inches last night and thought about going to 30 inches. Maybe next week.
Old 07-13-19, 07:06 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Did some sweet spot on Fiesta and Mt. Soledad bracketed around the "Chili's" group ride, 4 hr total. Smashed on the ride. Then, I went to the mall to buy a new dress shirt and some basic button ups and chinos for work. Not sure what was more tiring. What I can tell you is that I need some dinner and wine, stat.
Likes For TMonk:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.