Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to tell if a bicycle seat is leather?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-19, 05:21 PM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts

I bought a cheap bicycle seat on Ebay with springs that advertised it was a leather seat, sold by a U.S. vendor. Now I see identical pictures of the saddle I bought in multiple Ebay ads by different vendors, half claiming the saddle is real leather in their ads and the other half saying that their saddle is fake patent leather. Cost is $15 plus shipping, or $36 or so with free shipping.
Yes I know you get what you pay for, but I'm confused as to how the identical picture is used by all the vendors if some are leather and some are not.

Last edited by Lucillle; 07-20-19 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-20-19, 06:04 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
If there's some unimportant exposed edge you underneath you can pick at that with a pin and see what it's like, though it helps to have done the same with something that is actual leather to calibrate your expectation.

One thing to think about is that leather processing is an industry with a lot of possibilities - there's vegetable tanning the outer surface of a hide, and then there are all sort of things that are done to put a similar surface on inner layer "splits", and all sort of chemical treatments and coatings. Obviously these have different costs and durability.

Some of these products will also incorporate something woven, so finding that doesn't mean what you are dealing with is not in any way leather at all, but it does mean it's not a simple piece of a cow that's been made into a saddle.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 07-20-19, 06:16 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
My thought: Since it's bought and paid for, ride it until you either decide that you don't like it, or it wears out. I've noticed that there are often multiple online sellers with the same item and different descriptions. It's explained by the fact that the truth is malleable when there is no accountability. Caveat Emptor.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 07-20-19, 07:49 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Warm it up with a hairdryer and smell it.
Old 07-21-19, 07:27 AM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
Compare it to the leather seats in a car...... Oh wait, what? Leatherette isn't leather? Ride it like you stole, if it's comfortable brag about it.......
Old 07-21-19, 08:05 AM
gnappi

Bikes: All are vintage... Schwinn 564, Cannondale Criterium 600, Cannondale F300 MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Just heat a pin with a match and poke an unexposed spot. The hot pin will glide through plastic "naugabeast" but not leather.
Likes For gnappi:
Old 07-21-19, 01:15 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
If it's like the chinese leather sofa we bought it's "technically" leather in the same way hamburger is steak.
Actually a good comparison as they chip leather and blend it with some sort of varnishlike glue and press it to look like leather. Looks great until it wears and then it flakes and falls apart.

That said, ride it till it goes. No worse rhan vinyl. No one really thinks they got a Brooks like leather saddle for $15 did they? Sadly, we thought we got a real leather couch too