Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bent derailler hanger

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bent derailler hanger

Old 07-30-19, 01:31 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
Bent derailler hanger

I recently bought an off wheel trainer and was having some difficulties shifting. bike shifted fine with wheel on but no so with one or two gears when mounted on the trainer. The nice thing about the trainer is that i could watch the derailer (defailure?) jump around. i noticed that the derailer is twisted a bit. I am assuming this twist is in the hanger. does anyone know of a good repair method? taking if off and bending it in a vise seems a bit harsh.

also, i am assuming that it is the hanger that is twisted. everything else looks ok.

-scott
Old 07-30-19, 01:47 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=74268
Rear wheel on the bike while using tool
Likes For trailangel:
Old 07-30-19, 02:00 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
My bike shop only charged me $25 to fix my bent hanger. Cheaper than buying a tool to do it yourself. Probably something you will only have to deal with rarely if ever again.
Old 07-30-19, 02:07 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Shifting fine except when mounted on the trainer doesn't make me automatically think the hangar is bent. Just saying. Also you should use a straightedge a couple of feet long to say its bent for sure. Unless it's really bent, of course. But that would show up in the shifting, on the trainer or off.
Old 07-30-19, 02:22 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Shifting fine except when mounted on the trainer doesn't make me automatically think the hangar is bent. Just saying. Also you should use a straightedge a couple of feet long to say its bent for sure. Unless it's really bent, of course. But that would show up in the shifting, on the trainer or off.
i would normally agree, the thing is that while on the road I can only glance at the derailleur but on the trainer I can stare at it for an extended time. It is clearly not lined up with the cassette.

Today on my way home I’ll be on an old farm road and will chance a few tens of seconds looking at it.
Old 07-30-19, 02:24 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by trailangel
thought these were only for measuring. I see this can correct as well.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-19, 06:05 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It doesn't make much sense to buy a $70 tool when you can get most derailleur hangars for around $20 here in the US and buy them from overseas vendors for under $6 if you are lucky enough to be able to track down the hangar number for your existing hangar. I bent one a couple of years ago and paid $20 including 3 day shipping from an online bike shop. I did know that it was a number 45 hangar. If I thought I might bend it a second time I would go to an overseas vendor on eBay and buy a spare. It was the only time I ever replaced one.

60 different hangars for $5.50 including shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PCS-MTB-Mo...PxxAj9y_xZlf-w
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 07-30-19, 07:14 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
My LBS will straighten a bent hanger just one time, no more should it get bent again. However, my personal preference is to replace bent hangers. It's a matter of peace of mind and it isn't expensive. Obviously, it's an individual choice.
Old 07-30-19, 07:30 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Replace, don't straighten. Derailleur hangers are made of aluminum, and they don't take kindly to much bending. A little tweaking with the right tool in skilled hands is okay, but why take the chance if you're working on your own bike?

It's always a good idea to keep—and travel with—a spare derailleur hanger. They're easily bent or broken, and it's something you're not likely to find in a local shop. If you're on a trip with your bike and the hanger breaks (been there, done that), your bike is out of commission.

If you can't get a hanger made by the manufacturer, the ones made by Wheels Manufacturing are the next best thing.

Old 07-30-19, 08:38 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I don't understand how the hanger can be bent if it works fine on the bike and not on the trainer.

If the hanger is bent enough to cause poor shifting on the trainer then wouldn't it also cause poor shifting with the wheel on the bike?

It seem to me that the problem is isolated to the trainer.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 07-30-19, 09:35 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Buy a new one!!! Such a silly idea to bend back a cheap aluminum part. It did its job. Toss it and move on!
Old 07-31-19, 06:18 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
https://derailleurhanger.com

Unless the hanger is integrated into the frame (steel).
Old 07-31-19, 06:39 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Hold on people, Example: We don't know if is bike is a 9 speed and his trainer has a 11 speed cassette, because that will certainly explain how it shifts fine with the wheel on and not on the trainer.
Old 07-31-19, 08:04 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Mark
My bike shop only charged me $25 to fix my bent hanger. Cheaper than buying a tool to do it yourself. Probably something you will only have to deal with rarely if ever again.
I bought one after dealing with my first bent hanger. We could not get it to shift right for anything. As soon as I saw the shop pull out their tool, I knew exactly what the problem was. Since we have 4 regular bikes and 2 tandems, it was a good investment. YMMV.
Old 07-31-19, 01:32 PM
spelger

Thanks for all the info. i did not even think of just replacing it...

it is not welded/integrated into the frame, although i have not taken it off but looks like a separate part.

the derailur is surely twisted, on my ride home last night it was pretty clearly twisted. like the hand of a clock at the 12 and 1 position (maybe a little less so)

the trainer is a Kicker that came with an 11 speed cassette. the bike has an 8 speed and the kicker;'s cassette was replaced with an 8. the shim to compensate is installed (1.3 mm i think) first, then the cassette. not 100% sure if this is correct but it seems the most logical to me.

TH: i don't understand either unless the cassette cogs are not in the exactly same place relative to the deraulier but close enough. maybe i need to adjust the shifting between teh two and look for that happy medium. since i can see that the derailer is twisted i want to start with that first.

-scott
Old 07-31-19, 01:39 PM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
My wife as a Trek Verve 2 with an 8-speed cassette. I have a Trek Domane SL5 with an 11-speed cassette. I bought a Wahoo Kickr Core as it's much less expensive than the Kickr. It doesn't come with a cassette, which was fine by me. I initially installed the 8-speed cassette incorrectly as the shim had to go on a certain way and I had it backwards and it caused the cassette to wobble. Reinstalling the shim properly fixed the problem.
Old 07-31-19, 01:53 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
Thanks for all the info. i did not even think of just replacing it...

it is not welded/integrated into the frame, although i have not taken it off but looks like a separate part.

the derailur is surely twisted, on my ride home last night it was pretty clearly twisted. like the hand of a clock at the 12 and 1 position (maybe a little less so)

the trainer is a Kicker that came with an 11 speed cassette. the bike has an 8 speed and the kicker;'s cassette was replaced with an 8. the shim to compensate is installed (1.3 mm i think) first, then the cassette. not 100% sure if this is correct but it seems the most logical to me.

TH: i don't understand either unless the cassette cogs are not in the exactly same place relative to the deraulier but close enough. maybe i need to adjust the shifting between teh two and look for that happy medium. since i can see that the derailer is twisted i want to start with that first.

-scott
Perhaps you need to adjust the low and high screws.
Old 07-31-19, 03:03 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81
Perhaps you need to adjust the low and high screws.
but those only adjust the lateral movement of the derailler, right? i don't see how that will compensate for a twisting position. i'll be sure ot have a look at its position when engaging different gears.
Old 07-31-19, 09:39 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
could you post a couple of photos of the problem, or tell us the something about the bike, like brand, model, year
Old 08-01-19, 02:59 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
I replace mine when I break them. I've bought them from Venom Bikes in the Ukraine, even; it was $2 for the hanger, $10 for shipping (the low price may have been because it was denominated in Hryvinia, or whatever Ukraine's currency is). Make sure to match the pictures carefully. They use a different numbering system.
Old 08-01-19, 03:17 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I've got a $5 starbucks card that says this has to do with how the bike attaches to the trainer.

-Tim-
Old 08-01-19, 07:16 PM
spelger

Can't believe i missed this post...i'll double check that the shim is installed properly. thanks.
Old 08-01-19, 07:23 PM
spelger

As requested. i put the bike back onto the trainer since it is easier to shoot instead of on the bike. but both on bike and on trainer the derailluer looks off to me. now, not only does it look twisted from above, it looks bent outward when looking from behind, a view i never get while in the seat.

oh, the bike...Trek 1.2, have had it for about 7-10 years, i really don't know the year.

looking down chain.

looking above chain.
Old 08-05-19, 07:11 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
A couple of years ago I got the nagging feeling that my DR hanger was bent, and I worried that it was impacting shifting. Taking it off and laying it on something flat, I could see a warp. Just barely, but I couldn't tell if it was enough to cause any issue.

Replacing it was cheap and fairly easy, and while I was at it replaced the cable housings and re-worked the DR setup from scratch. I have no idea if the new hanger really helped but I felt better about the whole thing. The old one lives in my toolbox as a spare, so it's win-win regardless.
Old 08-05-19, 08:40 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Buy this or take to bike shop

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.