Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Help on not being stuck in sympathetic nervous system

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-19, 11:46 AM
bp2k8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

so i was biking at night (althought these types of scenarios seem to happen often day or night in florida) in an area with virtualy no cars and two just happen to be at the only one major light on my route. (no cars though on my side of road) the one car in front was waiting for the light notices me proceeds to squeal his tires and then rev engine so loud and peels out and the other car behind me hesitated in disbelief and eventualy proceeds to drive and turn as well.

my question is WHY do people driving cars do these types of things. What could you possibly gain from doing that? There was no one to show off or have some sort of ego trip on it was night time in a small area and more importantly the light is not a fast one so no reason to floor it. These odd thing shappen in the day time too and I am tired of ******* being able to drive cars. They give out driver licenses like candy in florida its disgusting.
Reminds me of this thread
https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...n-me-over.html

I have to deal with similar syle or worse drivers in florida and want to know if anyone can give me some tips to not feel like it could be my last day cycling at any moment (theoretically i know it can be though so i get it)
i dont antagonize cars and not sure why people dont just respect cyclists. people only seem to care about something when it happens to them or their family. Cars in florida are as if they are possessed and yet if their grandmom was on a bike and was hit by a car now they want johnny cochran (rip) and they want million dollars for pain and sifferring for their grandmom but they dont show any couth or bondaries if its a young man etc.

I guess the point of this thread is how do you guys and gals deal with it. Lights dont help although i have daytime flash style light with 1200 lumens on front and a 500 lumens rear and some cool green spoke lights. Should i start carrying a spare seat post or a sharp pin to pop tires if it comes down to issues with cars or something?

The crazy part is even the sidewalk is not safe so i try to find the safest spots in each area albeit the shoulder/bike lane or the right lane or sidewalk.

i am not as l'eroica or tour de france advanced style as you guys but am far from a newbie and my bikes are all road bikes that i am familiar/fitted with my bikes so not an end user issue.

Last edited by bp2k8; 07-25-19 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-25-19, 12:02 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Riding long enough swings the pendulum from sympathetic dominance or overdrive back to the parasympathetic side. I try to stay alert but not too wound up, and just sit for a while when I get home to enjoy the resting and help bring things back in balance.
Old 07-25-19, 01:12 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Riding long enough swings the pendulum from sympathetic dominance or overdrive back to the parasympathetic side. I try to stay alert but not too wound up, and just sit for a while when I get home to enjoy the resting and help bring things back in balance.
really! have never head this. thanks that will help. i guess goal would be to find a nice long bike path to spin out type of deal i know california has severla but since moving to FL its been harder as all the good ones seem to be on tampa side
Old 07-25-19, 02:31 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
The sympathetic nervous system is designed for short bursts, not endurance. One of the first things they taught at the first dojo I trained at was to make a "friend of fear" to avoid running out of energy when sparring. Experience is the main key here, just like with anything else that makes you nervous, and you learn to deal with the things that cause nervousness with time.

Riding often puts me in reflective mood, even when the last part is usually more annoying. Sitting and thinking of things in the bigger picture perspective does wonders for me then.
Old 07-25-19, 03:23 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Some people carry cameras. It makes them feel better to record the iniquity. But it records their own sins too.

Some like an AirZound. Some carry bear spray, or better (worse).

Maturity (I mean actual experience living, not acting older) helps you get some perspective and tamps down your own aggression in response, too.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-25-19, 08:53 PM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Some people carry cameras. It makes them feel better to record the iniquity. But it records their own sins too.

Some like an AirZound. Some carry bear spray, or better (worse).

Maturity (I mean actual experience living, not acting older) helps you get some perspective and tamps down your own aggression in response, too.
thanks @Darth Lefty and @no motor? very helpful and advice i can utilize. Thanks fot understanding where Ii am coming from.
One has to be a true parasite to enjoy attempting to run or side sweep their fellow man ver. I still standby my point that people often are not themselves ande ae quite the hypocrite as they want safty and privacy and respect but are not willing to give it nor show it.
Old 07-26-19, 08:52 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
I don’t know what kind of bike you ride but my commute experience changed when I brought my bars up with a riser stem.

Doesn’t exercise release testosterone?
Old 07-30-19, 09:09 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I'm hanged if I can figure out how an Airzound or Hi-Viz clothing is going to prevent a mouth breathing cager from smoking his driven wheels at a stoplight before peeling out. I moved 3,000 miles to a known cycling mecca when me and mine decided that a change of scenery was in order. It wasn't WHY we moved, but as long as we were moving, why not move to a cycling mecca. I was going to suggest that option to the o.p. when I see language to the effect that the o.p. moved TO Florida from somewhere else ... I'm sorry, the o.p. loses all authority to write a thread in this vein since you have to be living under a mighty big rock not to know about Florida road culture beforehand. HTFU or move. /thread.
Old 07-30-19, 10:26 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
are you sure the driver did that 'at' you vs just near you?

He (I assume it's not a she) may have wanted to antagonize you, but also he might enjoy doing that for fun. People with oversized engines do jackrabbite starts and donuts in parking lots even when there are no bikes around.
Old 08-05-19, 11:23 AM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I'm hanged if I can figure out how an Airzound or Hi-Viz clothing is going to prevent a mouth breathing cager from smoking his driven wheels at a stoplight before peeling out. I moved 3,000 miles to a known cycling mecca when me and mine decided that a change of scenery was in order. It wasn't WHY we moved, but as long as we were moving, why not move to a cycling mecca. I was going to suggest that option to the o.p. when I see language to the effect that the o.p. moved TO Florida from somewhere else ... I'm sorry, the o.p. loses all authority to write a thread in this vein since you have to be living under a mighty big rock not to know about Florida road culture beforehand. HTFU or move. /thread.
florida road culture is one thing... people not being able to see things right in front of them is anothr and is not tolerated.
care to expound how u go about ur rides and staying safe - hi viz clothing does not work here people too dumb to see it...? I dont ride in a major city in florida and its a relatively calm area and most of my rides are on bike trail and it still heappens ironically mostly because people only think a car is a person... they dont actually see people as people which is sad and a testament to how poor the intellect is in this country. I see people almost get run over daily many even in parking lots! This happens inmy hometown new york but also in places i lived like nj, philly, florida etc. the truth is most people nowadays are a virus and they only care about themself and msaybe their families. many people act innocent despite their malevolent ways and only care when it affects them. They could run a cyclist damn near off the road and think nothing of it... then if their baby sister has same issue on a bike they want johnnie cochran (rip) and are so upset etc.