Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Cannondale SuperX: is this THE do-it-all bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Cannondale SuperX: is this THE do-it-all bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-19, 09:46 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
A major plus for me on the TCX was tire clearance.

Out of curiosity does anyone else know what other 'cross bikes can fit 45mm tires?
Old 08-08-19, 12:29 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Hmmm

Out of curiosity does anyone else know what other 'cross bikes can fit 45mm tires?
None. That is a gravel bike.

Cross is obviously designed around 33mm tires. Adding width for 40mm tires satisfies the gravel market demand and gives lots of mud clearance. That is a win/win. But going beyond that requires some design compromises that you generally are not going to find in a dedicated race bike.
Old 08-08-19, 03:11 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Open U.P. might be the closest?
Old 08-08-19, 06:01 PM
Markus_79

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

SuperX new models can fit up to 42 - with little clearance left, but you can use 45 tyres with a 650b wheel.
Likes For Markus_79:
Old 08-08-19, 09:51 PM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
None. That is a gravel bike.

Cross is obviously designed around 33mm tires. Adding width for 40mm tires satisfies the gravel market demand and gives lots of mud clearance. That is a win/win. But going beyond that requires some design compromises that you generally are not going to find in a dedicated race bike.
Hahah no way. Really? What design compromises?
Old 08-08-19, 11:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Dominae
No I have a 2x. I don’t understand the fascination with 1x. After years and years of pushing for more gears, from 5-speed, 8, 9, 10 and now 11 I don’t understand the mentality of now cutting all of that in half and calling it progress. It might make sense for some people but not for me.
This reminds me of the emporer's new clothes.
Old 08-09-19, 01:42 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Hahah no way. Really? What design compromises?
Mainly chainstay length. As the tire gets wider it also get larger in diameter so you habe to make the dropout farther from the BB. Kinda of a big deal on a cx bike that needs to be short and nimble around a tight course with other racers. Also you mught have to make sacrifices on BB drop because if a higher BB it optimized around a 33c tire its going to feel insanely tall with 45+ tires
Old 08-09-19, 06:08 AM
Markus_79

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Mainly chainstay length. As the tire gets wider it also get larger in diameter so you habe to make the dropout farther from the BB. Kinda of a big deal on a cx bike that needs to be short and nimble around a tight course with other racers. Also you mught have to make sacrifices on BB drop because if a higher BB it optimized around a 33c tire its going to feel insanely tall with 45+ tires
This is going towards a more "gravel" geometry... which is not a bad thing if you don't want to use the modern Cx bikes for racing. This is why I started to look at new models in the Cx category. It looks to me but the enduroad/gravel bikes from just 2 yrs ago - as the Gt Grade and similar - are going to be replaced by new endurance bike, the gravel segment is moving more towards the off-road side, and - just my opinion - new Cx bikes became the do-it-all bikes that many people are looking for.. even if they are not advertised as such.
Old 08-09-19, 07:38 AM
chas58

Yep, that is probably the biggest compromise with large tires. There is also Q factor- when getting that size you need to switch to mountain bike bottom bracket to get wide enough - either that or do funky things with the chain stays - then you start limiting what size chain ring you can put on the bike and make 2x impractical. Lots of compromises where you are going to impact that snappy acceleration (and tight turning radius) that you need for a technical race bike (as opposed to an endurance race bike).
Old 08-09-19, 07:54 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by Markus_79
This is going towards a more "gravel" geometry... which is not a bad thing if you don't want to use the modern Cx bikes for racing. This is why I started to look at new models in the Cx category. It looks to me but the enduroad/gravel bikes from just 2 yrs ago - as the Gt Grade and similar - are going to be replaced by new endurance bike, the gravel segment is moving more towards the off-road side, and - just my opinion - new Cx bikes became the do-it-all bikes that many people are looking for.. even if they are not advertised as such.
Its kinda like mountain biking. If you are bombing down mountains, you want long, low, slack on a gravel bike. But that kills maneuverability and acceleration.

I surprised a pack of roadies (and myself) yesterday when blew off the front of the pack, hit two sharp turns at 35mph, and sprinted up a hill. An endurance gravel bike wouldn't have done that - it would have swung wide on those turns (or forced me to slow down), and I wouldn't have been able to power out of that 2nd turn and up the hill until I was out of the pedal strike zone. I hate losing momentum...

The only drawbacks I see to my CX bike is that it has low stack (Its aero but not good for >6+ hours in the saddle), and its not great at bombing down gravel mountains. Its smooth, comfortable, and takes 40mm tires - which are what I expect
Likes For chas58: