Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need A 4th Hand Due To Disability

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-19, 08:54 PM
TomAllyn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have permanent nerve damage in my right hand and arm and I'm right-handed. I have built and worked on many bikes and never felt the need for a 4th hand tool. I cannot hold cables any more like I used so I'm considering either a Hozan (I love their tools) or Park 4th hand (I'm not a huge fan of Park) but I have a lot of there older tools that I find are better than many of their newer ones. Any suggestions and votes for the Hozan or Park 4th hand for my atypical situation.
Old 08-10-19, 09:16 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
I have a newish (6 years old maybe?) Park 4th hand. Decent tool. I use it quite a bit. There's some play in it but that hasn't mattered at all other than I have to look when I engage the wire.

Ben
Old 08-10-19, 09:17 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I have an IceToolz 4th hand, but they are all pretty much identical as far as I have seen, and should all work fine. I also have a 3rd hand wire clamp, made I believe by Bell, which holds brake shoes against the rim. Here's a similar one; https://www.amazon.com/Alta-Bicycle-.../dp/B079QHB3S4 Even without a disability they both can be very helpful when working without a helper.
Old 08-11-19, 07:33 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I have the Hozan 4th hand tool that I got as part of a deal on a used bike back in the '90's. I don't use it a lot but it does work very well when needed.
Old 08-11-19, 08:23 AM
TomAllyn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I have a newish (6 years old maybe?) Park 4th hand. Decent tool. I use it quite a bit. There's some play in it but that hasn't mattered at all other than I have to look when I engage the wire.

Ben
Thank you!

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I have an IceToolz 4th hand, but they are all pretty much identical as far as I have seen, and should all work fine. I also have a 3rd hand wire clamp, made I believe by Bell, which holds brake shoes against the rim. Here's a similar one; Even without a disability they both can be very helpful when working without a helper.
Thank you and I purchased the 3rd hand tool I very much appreciate the recommendation and it should arrive in a few days.

Originally Posted by HillRider
I have the Hozan 4th hand tool that I got as part of a deal on a used bike back in the '90's. I don't use it a lot but it does work very well when needed.
I purchased the Hozan 4th hand tool last night it should arrive today from Amazon.
Old 08-11-19, 10:37 AM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
I have a Pedro's 4th hand and a Hozan. I prefer the Hozan's construction and feel more than the Pedro's version. But, the Hozan tool has no "ratchet stop" for when the cable is at it's most stretched position. This isn't a problem with most cable anchor bolts that can be tightened with a single tool( Nut driver or an Allen key). But when the particular mechanism requires two tools or another complication, I resort to using the less comfortable Pedro design.
I should mention that I use these tools for two non-bicycle related purposes, though. They are a superb tool for installing zip ties! The second is distantly related to cycling; I use the Pedro's tool for servicing the clutch cable on a P Series Vespa. The cable anchor bolt isn't attached to anything, per se. It clamps onto the cable after it passes through a hole in the end of the clutch lever. Two tools must be used to cinch down on the anchor bolt; so Pedro's design is the one that works.
Old 08-11-19, 11:58 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Are you lucky!

PM me your name and address and I'll mail a Park one to you.
Old 08-11-19, 04:44 PM
TomAllyn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Are you lucky!

Thank you very very much! Please look for my PM you will have it soon.
Old 08-11-19, 06:26 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Oh yeah. That's a great tool. I use all sorts of these tools. Take a look at what Vise Grip has to offer too. Clamps are good.
Old 08-12-19, 07:12 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
I’m curious to know your opinion as well. I have both the Park and the Hozan, and I vastly prefer the Hozan.

With that said, I have two good hands and go not need the function of the Park version to hold tension by itself with the ratchet complication.
Old 08-12-19, 09:11 AM
TomAllyn

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Are you lucky!

I was going to PM you yesterday but discovered I must have 10 posts before I can PM someone. If it wouldn't be too much of a bother for you to PM perhaps they will allow me to reply with my Name and Contact information.