Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Why do pages jump around???

Old 08-15-19, 12:54 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Why do pages jump around???

Why do the pages jump back a page or two on BF 50+ when your finger might touch the screen on an iPad? It seems to happen a lot on the photo page. I’m not hitting the back button. My finger might inadvertently touch a picture and the thread jumps back at least one page. It happens a lot and is aggravating. Is it just me?
Old 08-15-19, 01:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It happens to me too. I think it has to do with the way the photos load.
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-15-19, 03:30 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
I haven't notice that; perhaps it's an iPad thing?

What does annoy me is how when I use "Page Up," the Bike Forums banner drops down and covers some of the page text, and when I try to scroll down, the banner keeps scrolling down as well so I can't see what's under the dang banner without repeatedly scrolling down.

What's the purpose of that?
Old 08-15-19, 06:36 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Because photos are loading as your looking. That changes the size and formatting of the page.
Old 08-15-19, 06:41 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,564 Times in 3,764 Posts
Thread moved from 50+ to User Assistance.
Old 08-18-19, 04:29 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Be patient and wait or get a PC?

I'm guessing that you have just visited the forum/thread for the first time and do not have a cached version to rebuild the page. Also I've seen this before on vBulletin sites, if not others, it's just the way your page loads.

My PCs have 4-8GB of RAM now, regardless of operating system, which you haven't mentioned and it could matter. I use Windows 7, 10 and Linux Mint 19.2 with Firefox 66.0.2 or whatever Mint has at the moment (FF is configured for Linux Mint by the distro). I would expect mobile devices to load differently due to their OS and small screen sizes as well as which display version of the vB format you are using (hint: try changing it and see what happens).

Note that threads that are heavy on images will take longer to load, cached or not.
Old 11-14-19, 10:34 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
This forum has the screwiest scrolling I've seen. And this is on a computer running Firefox. Just trying to access the menus at the top on a multi page thread is annoying as ****. You can't get to the top of the page unless you are on the 1st page because it keeps adding previous pages and auto scrolling to the bottom.

Last edited by cb400bill; 11-14-19 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Do not change the spelling of words to avoid the forum censor
Old 11-14-19, 02:11 PM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I thought it was just me !!!!
Old 11-14-19, 03:03 PM
IBanna
RETIRED, DO NOT PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fly135
This forum has the screwiest scrolling I've seen. And this is on a computer running Firefox. Just trying to access the menus at the top on a multi page thread is annoying as F*. You can't get to the top of the page unless you are on the 1st page because it keeps adding previous pages and auto scrolling to the bottom.
You can disable infinite scrolling through your usercp -> edit options https://www.bikeforums.net/profile.php?do=editoptions -> Disable Infinite Scroll.
Likes For IBanna:
Old 11-15-19, 01:56 PM
IBobi
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Bikes: 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
FYI infinite scroll can't be disabled on mobile skin.
Old 11-17-19, 07:27 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Since they are using Firefox on a PC I gather I would also check your settings and especially the mouse. Mice get ill now and then, it's possible to reset your tracking,
Old 11-17-19, 07:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I haven't notice that; perhaps it's an iPad thing?

What does annoy me is how when I use "Page Up," the Bike Forums banner drops down and covers some of the page text, and when I try to scroll down, the banner keeps scrolling down as well so I can't see what's under the dang banner without repeatedly scrolling down.

What's the purpose of that?
Turn the iThingy sideways to read the pages, and yes, allow time for the images and other elements to load or return from being cached. This problem you describe is one that affects the old 3x and maybe 4x series vBulletin platforms IMO when a thread is image intensive. I've encountered it many times.
Old 11-26-19, 03:51 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I've had this happen a lot on the phone, less often on the computer.

I've attributed it to inline advertisements. So, the text will load pretty quickly, but then the system keeps jumping around to the ads as they continue to load.
@jppe mentioned photo pages, or photo heavy pages.

This likely has to do with as photos are slowly loaded, the cursor absolute position stays the same while the length of page varies.

It may be a browser problem with how they're dealing with cursor position. But, another option would be for the system to rapidly review photo sizes (and the current window size/zoom), and open a blank box for images to open into. Thus the cursor doesn't jump.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-26-19, 03:57 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Another related issue I've had with many sites, and occasionally with Bike Forums is that I'll open a window, and start typing before the window is fully loaded. The results can be unpredictable.

Mainly on other sites where I put in usernames frequently, I'll get the user name put in and be halfway through the password when the system jumps me back to the username box and my password appears in the wrong spot.

Since I rarely put in a password in BikeForums, that problem doesn't occur frequently, but occasionally I'll go to the "quick reply" window, and get a paragraph typed when it blanks the window. Mighty annoying. I'll try to force it to replicate, especially after the latest round of updates.
Old 12-01-19, 11:51 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by cliffordk
i've had this happen a lot on the phone, less often on the computer.

I've attributed it to inline advertisements. So, the text will load pretty quickly, but then the system keeps jumping around to the ads as they continue to load.
@jppe mentioned photo pages, or photo heavy pages.

This likely has to do with as photos are slowly loaded, the cursor absolute position stays the same while the length of page varies.

It may be a browser problem with how they're dealing with cursor position. But, another option would be for the system to rapidly review photo sizes (and the current window size/zoom), and open a blank box for images to open into. Thus the cursor doesn't jump.
This.
Old 12-22-19, 11:51 AM
zebreaux

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
For what it’s worth....
Had the same hoping around problem on my iPad. Thought it was probably the ads. (It was also bumping me off and I’d have to log back in every few minutes.) Thought I would try the paid subscription to get rid of the ads and it seems to have fixed the problem. Also disabled the infinite scroll.
Maybe it’ll work for you.
Likes For zebreaux:
Old 12-22-19, 11:54 AM
zebreaux

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
AND....
I got a yellow jersey!
Likes For zebreaux: