Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Filling Bike Trainer with Oil

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-19, 05:06 PM
skidmarx
paramount member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Does the reservoir get filled? I don't get it. Obviously oil gets poured into the port beneath the screw....what's the reservoir for?

Old 08-19-19, 05:14 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Shearing the viscous oil is what gives the resistance. Shearing the oil takes work, which creates heat. The oil circulates inside the housing and transfers the heat to the cooling fins. It also lubricates the bearings. You can change the resistance by putting different viscosity oil in the unit.
Old 08-19-19, 05:29 PM
skidmarx
paramount member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
thanks ds....I wasn't clear with my question. I'll pour oil into the unit and put that screw back in place (the screw that is shown at the base of the cup or "reservoir" as I called it.) Does that cup or reservoir get filled also? That's what I don't get.

Last edited by skidmarx; 08-19-19 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-19-19, 05:35 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I am not able to take mine apart because its sealed but by the way it sounds there is probably 15-20oz or so of oil in the thing. Its got a pretty good size unit so I would fill the thing with oil. Have you tired calling the mfg for info?
Old 08-19-19, 05:42 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
while doing some searching I did find a recall?

might want to check:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2006/fa...ers-for-repair
Old 08-19-19, 05:43 PM
skidmarx
paramount member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've searched the web for info on how to fill and come up with zilch...have not called the manufacturer. This is an old unit..a dump find. I can fill the thing with oil beneath that screw. It doesn't make sense to me to fill the reservoir above the screw since oil would just sit there..unless it's a heat sink cup or something???

thanks for the recall info..travel trac 3 isn't on the list

Last edited by skidmarx; 08-19-19 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-19-19, 08:00 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Is there a issue with a partially filled space when the impellors start spinning? Foaming/air producing a fluid that changes it's flow? I don't know but can imagine such things and how fill amount might be important. Andy
Old 08-20-19, 06:50 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by skidmarx
I've searched the web for info on how to fill and come up with zilch...have not called the manufacturer. This is an old unit..a dump find. I can fill the thing with oil beneath that screw. It doesn't make sense to me to fill the reservoir above the screw since oil would just sit there..unless it's a heat sink cup or something???

thanks for the recall info..travel trac 3 isn't on the list
I'd bet that the area covered with the large diameter plug is just an overflow/spill containment area. That would make it easier to clean a bit of oil spill while filling the reservoir up, or any oil seepage from the o-ring on the small filler plug. Otherwise it would drip into the fins which would be a pain to clean up.
Old 08-20-19, 05:04 PM
skidmarx
paramount member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks guys
I think you're right FiftySix and your theory too Andrew..I started to fill it tonight and realized having the containment area filled up at least half way guarantees the interior is 100% full when the small screw is replaced...(slaps self in head).. Before installing that screw, turning the flywheel causes air bubbles come to the surface, another good reason for that containment / overflow cup so the air bubble thing is visible. After installing the small screw I dabbed out the remaining oil with a rag.Hydraulic oil viscosity 46 was used based on some reports that were easy to find. Apparently Mobile DTE 746 is thee oil but not easy to find in small quantities Resistance is back and another perfectly usable item has been rehabbed from the dump.