Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Daughter Self Supported Tour

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Daughter Self Supported Tour

Old 08-23-19, 05:28 AM
SpecK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Make sure she knows that you'll be worried sick the whole time.

travelling alone is never a good idea...and sometimes a very bad idea. Their are neighborhoods here I would be very worried.

And out in rural area, I would be just as worry, if not more worry, because there's no one around to help you.

We live in the high crime rate country. Alot of people disappear every year, including young women. With today's social media, we are now more aware that bad people are every where, not just in inner cities. In the rural area is where crime problem is growing.
What's your source for the growing crime problem in rural areas?

I have to disagree that travelling alone is always a bad idea. How much have you travelled around the US?

If we are to follow the logic that "crime is everywhere" then wouldn't this young lady in question be as much at risk when she is not on a bike tour?

I would think she would be statistically much safer biking through a rural area alone than she would be say going to a club or bar drinking with friends. Everything carries a certain amount of risk, and while it's healthy to evaluate and minimize risk, it shouldn't completely stop people from doing things they enjoy.
Old 08-23-19, 05:41 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 4,486 Times in 3,336 Posts
Your daughter might look at youth hostels. Bed, shower, etc.

Is this trip being planned for next year?
Old 08-23-19, 06:19 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Your daughter might look at youth hostels. Bed, shower, etc.

Is this trip being planned for next year?
Not knocking this idea, but I suspect that on most coast to coast routes you might manage to find one or two times at most. Managing to find one to stay in on your route and in a place you wanted to stop anyway is pretty atypical. The vast majority of stays on most coast to coast tours I have done, talked to others about, or read about were in rural small town america. Hostel are generally in big towns or cities. They can be a good place to stay for those few times where they are convenient. Again, not knocking them, just pointing out that the opportunities to stay in them are very limited on the typical coast to coast tour.

There is a pretty good chance of using them as a starting point in the city you fly to at the start of a trip. On one trip I stayed in a hostel in Seattle, despite not having been a youth for many decades
Old 08-23-19, 07:41 AM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I get it, I have two daughters. Yes bad things can happen anywhere, but pretty much only bad news sells views, clicks, newspapers and eyeballs. The old “ if it bleeds it leads” phenomenon makes things seem worse than they are - at least in most places. There are of course some areas best avoided but that should be part of route planning. Tell her to be smart, maintain situational awareness and have a great time.
Old 08-23-19, 07:43 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
1- suggest she do some local touring first. Multiple weekend overnights and a 4 day tour too. That will help her figure out what to pack, how to pack, and quietly help show you that she has the skills/ability/mindset to fulfill her dream.
2- bear spray for sure. This isnt just because she is a woman- its simply smart to have while crossing a decent bit of the US.
3- no need to bring a firearm, i get that you werent serious, but even suggesting it almost derailed the thread. It isnt needed for all the reasons already listed.
4- ignore mtbaddict. He has 0 experience and is posting off of ignorance and fear.
5- if your daughter is like many(most?) 25 year old women who are active, she is hardly new to situational awareness. Its an unfortunate reality of our society, but one that is overcome millions of times a day too. She probably has more situational awareness than you, even though it may be tough to conceptualize. With 2 daughters and 3 close nieces all between 11 and 15, this is an issue that I think about a lot, for obvious reasons. It sucks that it has to be considered at all, but someone who is 25 and wants to go tour has considered the downsides and is confident they still want to go- so support it.

Maybe meet up and ride part of it too? Not as a way to oversee the trip, but to enjoy part of it with her.
Old 08-23-19, 07:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

travelling alone is never a good idea...and sometimes a very bad idea. Their are neighborhoods here I would be very worried.
And out in rural area, I would be just as worry, if not more worry, because there's no one around to help you.
We live in the high crime rate country. Alot of people disappear every year, including young women. With today's social media, we are now more aware that bad people are every where, not just in inner cities. In the rural area is where crime problem is growing.
Stop it.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-23-19, 07:49 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour
I don't have the words to explain just how wrong I believe this advice to be.
That's the goal of a troll.
Old 08-23-19, 08:08 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
1- suggest she do some local touring first. Multiple weekend overnights and a 4 day tour too. That will help her figure out what to pack, how to pack, and quietly help show you that she has the skills/ability/mindset to fulfill her dream.
It can't hurt, but how big of a deal it is depends on how much experience she has with other forms of self supported outdoor travel. For someone who has done a bunch of backpacking, canoe camping, xc ski camping or whatever it really isn't too big of a deal.

2- bear spray for sure. This isnt just because she is a woman- its simply smart to have while crossing a decent bit of the US.
Different strokes. I've never bothered with it. I have toured and backpacked in bear country fairly extensively and figure that proper campsite practices are more important wrt bears. Personally I don't think I'd carry bear spray as a weapon. If someone feels better carrying it I wouldn't discourage it, but. I also have never recommended it unless it was already brought up. I figure encouraging it unnecessarily feeds their fear.

Maybe meet up and ride part of it too? Not as a way to oversee the trip, but to enjoy part of it with her.
It might be fun if she doesn't see it as an imposition. I'd bet that a small portion at some point would be unlikely to be, but tread lightly.

My daughter invited me along on the Trans America when she rode it after graduation with a college room mate. They said they could use a mechanic. I accepted the invite and I think we all enjoyed the trip. I can't say for sure if they regretted asking me along, but I am sure they could have managed nicely without me.
Old 08-23-19, 11:35 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Not knocking this idea, but I suspect that on most coast to coast routes you might manage to find one or two times at most. Managing to find one to stay in on your route and in a place you wanted to stop anyway is pretty atypical. The vast majority of stays on most coast to coast tours I have done, talked to others about, or read about were in rural small town america. Hostel are generally in big towns or cities. They can be a good place to stay for those few times where they are convenient. Again, not knocking them, just pointing out that the opportunities to stay in them are very limited on the typical coast to coast tour.

There is a pretty good chance of using them as a starting point in the city you fly to at the start of a trip. On one trip I stayed in a hostel in Seattle, despite not having been a youth for many decades
I haven't used hostels in the USA. But, they were handy in Europe, especially if one wished to stop for a couple of days in one place.

The biggest problem was that the European hostels were always in the most inconvenient part of town. But, a bike would definitely make that easier.

https://www.hiusa.org/hostels

Ok, so the USA has an odd distribution of hostels. Hitting some of the big cities, but not even all of them.

It still might be handy for a night or two when one hits cities where they are located. Costs appear higher than I would have expected.

I usually do "primitive camping", but some campgrounds have shower facilities. Hiker/Biker camps? That could take some planning ahead.

I'm not sure if it would fit into bike touring, but most truck stops also have clean showers at a reasonable cost. And, the truck stops are often in the smaller towns at freeway interchanges.

Anyway, there are lots of different ways one might do the trip, from full "credit card" in a motel every night, to a motel or hostel or similar every few nights.
Old 08-23-19, 11:41 AM
dorakatherine

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
My daughter has this crazy idea of doing a cross country self supported tour by herself. I have tried to talk some sense into her, but she is as stubborn as a horse. The only thing I could come up with to ensure some semblance of safety is to use routes provided by Adventure cycling as they are known to be cyclist friendly. Not a guarantee of avoiding trouble, especially as a single 25 year old female. Any ideas on safe routes or something like that?

Would she be interested in having a companion who is 26 female? I am looking to go on a tour up the Pacific Coast and was hoping to find someone to do it with. Would be open to doing it across the country.
Old 08-23-19, 01:19 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
A wide variety of thoughts on this, and one overwhelming theme, "She will be fine."

The trip is likely to start next fall from the east coast, travel a southern route and then wind up in Seattle, WA. She may just stop once in CA and fly up to Seattle where my son lives. I have told her to start planning now and to do it in great detail. Also told her to learn how to work on her own bike. She has been shown flat tire changes, and she did assemble the bike I shipped to her and wrap her own bar tape, so she is capable of a great number of things outside her normal routine.

Dorakatherine, I have suggested a travel companion and she has said she will consider it. I know that she is much like me in that I like to ride alone, or with one other person, so maybe reason will sink in! Still want to push her to travel with a group that has experience under their belt. Lots of talking to do from here.

Thanks to all who posted constructive responses.
Old 08-23-19, 01:46 PM
CliffordK

Also told her to learn how to work on her own bike. She has been shown flat tire changes, and she did assemble the bike I shipped to her and wrap her own bar tape, so she is capable of a great number of things outside her normal routine.

Are you close enough to help her work on techniques.

Perhaps also build up a travel kit. I think it has been discussed here before.

But, be able to:
  • Swap Tubes
  • Patch Flat
  • Boot Tire
  • Fix broken Chain (either temporary or permanent)
  • Fix broken Spoke (again, either temporary or permanent)
  • Spare Tire?
  • Minor adjustments.

A lot of things won't kill a bike on the road, but just needs to be recognized as something that needs fixed before it becomes a bigger problem. Wheel Bearings?

There are bike repair classes. But, there are also skills that go beyond book knowledge.

Volunteer at a Bike Co-Op?
Old 08-23-19, 02:27 PM
staehpj1

A wide variety of thoughts on this, and one overwhelming theme, "She will be fine."
Yep, and she undoubtedly will.
​​​​​​
The trip is likely to start next fall from the east coast, travel a southern route and then wind up in Seattle, WA. She may just stop once in CA and fly up to Seattle where my son lives. I have told her to start planning now and to do it in great detail.
Planning what to pack in great detail is a very good idea. I wouldn't stress planning the day to day route mileage and stops in detail. Way better to take that stuff as it comes in my experience. Some flexibility in the actual route isn't a terrible idea either. Starting out with and generally following an Adventure Cycling route can free you from the detailed planning of route and stops. Also if you like you can vary from and return to the AC route as you see fit. Traveling a Southern Route I'd suggest either generally following US 90 until it ends in Van Horn TX and then picking up the Southern Tier or just following the Southern Tier route. In either case modify to suit with detours where you feel you want them.

Having ridden the ST from San Diego to Pensacola and having ridden and or driven lot of US 90 I think maybe I'd use US 90 if doing it again, but a first time tourist would find the resources on the AC maps pretty useful. Those resources are the reason that I'd even consider using the mapped route again. In west Texas restock opportunities can be very few and far between so those listings (and updated addenda) are pretty useful.

Also told her to learn how to work on her own bike. She has been shown flat tire changes, and she did assemble the bike I shipped to her and wrap her own bar tape, so she is capable of a great number of things outside her normal routine.
She definitely needs to be able to do basic bike maintenance and repair. The southern routes are all very remote, a lot of the time with long distances between services, so it is especially important there.
Old 08-23-19, 02:58 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Yep, and she undoubtedly will.
​​​​​​
There are no absolutes in life, but the odds should be in her favor.

If I'm comfortable riding in my home-town, how much worse could someone else's home-town be? Except, not knowing the neighborhoods.

It will depend a bit on the person. But, anybody planning on taking off across country will undoubtedly have some adventuresome spirit which is half of it.

One thing that should give peace of mind would be to regularly upload tracking information to Strava. One may be able to also do it real-time.

Think about the equipment some. Hub Dynamo (night, accessories, etc).
Old 08-23-19, 05:41 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
It's all over the news. Opiod epidemic is hitting rural places hard. Drug addicts commit crime to feed habits. Bad people move in to sell drugs.

A town near here was known for KKK activities, and that really scared me to my core when I found out...because I use to ride thru the town not knowing it was a "sundown" town. The place looks nice on the surface.

If she was a grown woman in her 40s...then, I might think different. The chances are a young girl in her 20s does not have a whole of of financial resource probably...and that means taking chances like stealth camping, taking short cuts, and cheap motels. These things represent serious increase of risk, than middle age'ers with alot of disposable income who stay in Holiday Inn and 5-star campgrounds. Young people are also too trusting, gullible. Chances are she will be okay, but I wouldn't allow my daugter to take a chance like that.

Aways ride in group. Safety in numbers.
Do you have a daughter? Or is this more hypothetical musing?
Old 08-23-19, 07:33 PM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
...I wouldn't allow my daugter to take a chance like that...
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Do you have a daughter? Or is this more hypothetical musing?
If he does have a 25yo daughter I wouldn't want to be her

AND if this hypothetical-adult-daughter is anything like my daughter, I wouldn't want to be him!

Last edited by BigAura; 08-23-19 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-23-19, 09:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

It's all over the news. Opiod epidemic is hitting rural places hard. Drug addicts commit crime to feed habits. Bad people move in to sell drugs.

A town near here was known for KKK activities, and that really scared me to my core when I found out...because I use to ride thru the town not knowing it was a "sundown" town. The place looks nice on the surface.

If she was a grown woman in her 40s...then, I might think different. The chances are a young girl in her 20s does not have a whole of of financial resource probably...and that means taking chances like stealth camping, taking short cuts, and cheap motels. These things represent serious increase of risk, than middle age'ers with alot of disposable income who stay in Holiday Inn and 5-star campgrounds. Young people are also too trusting, gullible. Chances are she will be okay, but I wouldn't allow my daugter to take a chance like that.

Aways ride in group. Safety in numbers.
Stop it.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-24-19, 05:47 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by CliffordK
There are no absolutes in life, but the odds should be in her favor.

If I'm comfortable riding in my home-town, how much worse could someone else's home-town be? Except, not knowing the neighborhoods.

It will depend a bit on the person. But, anybody planning on taking off across country will undoubtedly have some adventuresome spirit which is half of it.
I sometimes wonder about the relative safety and have suspected that depending on where you live, what you do for a living, and what your lifestyle is, that it just might actually not be too unusual to be safer on tour than at home. In any case I don't think it is a super dangerous endeavor. Are there are risks? Sure, but there are at home, or on any other trip, or vacation, or job, or what ever else you might do.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 08-24-19, 08:31 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
If you want to send her with moderate protection, I have a pair of 21", collapseable batons (new, one with cosmetic minor scratches). Pair for $10 + postage....
Old 08-26-19, 11:23 AM
Lance76

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do the opposite of this....

Here's the thing.... I would not want my daughter doing this... it's a big country, and she'll undoubtedly cross paths with all kinds of people... most good, but most likely some bad..
BUT, you aren't going to change her mind. So do you want her feeling bad and/or being upset with you the whole time?

If it's not too late, shift the conversation away from "please don't do this" to "Can we talk about how to do this in the safest way that won't hinder your experience?"

I don't know if she'll go for it... but there are also apps that can run on her phone in the background that would allow you to track her approximate location w/out eating up too much battery.
Old 08-26-19, 12:31 PM
indyfabz

The chances are a young girl in her 20s does not have a whole of of financial resource probably
Speak for yourself.
Old 08-26-19, 12:32 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Stop it.
Sad, isn't it?
Old 08-26-19, 01:28 PM
tpy2010

Bikes: Trek 5500, 3 Catrike expeditions with various modifications, red line mountain bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ladies riding solo tours

I read the original Poster's concerns and immediately thought of, " myrtle the turtle and Sylvia Halpern." Sylvia is a great resource on touring solo, both nationally and internationally. She has a blog about her touring. She is a great resource.
Old 08-26-19, 02:30 PM
phillman5

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Haven't read all the posts here, but spent quite some time reading many. As it looks she is determined, and I wouldn't stop her (though I only have 3 sons and not a daughter).

During my freshman year in college my older brother, a junior but only 1 1/2 years older, talked (didn't take much) me into riding from ~Tucson Az, to Ludington, Mi where my grandparents had built a cottage on a small inland lake. We just told our parents we're do this, come pick us up in a month! That by far is one of my fondest memories of my 60+ years. (I tried to get the church high school kids to do a 1 week circular tour but that fell through).

Some suggestion/tips I have for your daughter:

We got just a tube tent (basically a large garbage sack with the bottom cut out (we reinforced the ends with Duck Tape), a light weight rope between two trees can hold it up, your sleeping bag keeps the bottom spread out.

We also got some net hammocks that roll up to size of a softball. We used those a lot, but it took a few nights to get the technique down getting into them in the sleeping bag. One windy, raining night we hung those hammocks up using the posts supporting the roof over the picnic tables at a rest area. We put the picnic tables on their sides to block the wind. In the morning two car travelers were sleeping beneath us. Kansas has the best rest areas bar none.

We slept one time in the firehouse/community building where up stairs there was a stage and indoor basketball court. It turned out very nice as 'checking things out' I found some showers back stage!

Parks also are great places to sleep, but only in small towns! Luckily we never had problems with sprinklers.

We rode for a while with some guy riding coast-to-coast solo. He was a post office employee and he got permission for us to sleep on a post office loading dock on top of mail bags. (So if you got a letter/package in '75 that was all crushed, you now know why!) He as in Colorado, they flew him to somewhere in the midwest where they were having a Postal Workers convention, past the plate around to raise couple thousand for him, then flew him back to Colorado.

We went to a public swimming pool for showers, asked the lifeguards about nearby parks, they turned us on to a very nice minister who put us up in BEDS, whom turned us on to two other ministers up the road for us. One was the little league coach, they didn't have enough to field all the positions AND have base runners, so we ended up running bases. Coach's wife prepared a great dinner after practice!

They do make a triangle shaped pack that fits in the bike triangle, very useful/convenient and doesn't upset your bikes handling as other packs do.

The Amish were very nice and loved talking with us. A father/grandfather talked to us about our bikes, the grandfather scolded the father about not knowing about 'rat traps' pedals.

Even driving its great to get off the interstate and on some back roads, the peoples personalities are much friendlier.

The only time we were threatened was in Chicago, we went from a VERY nice neighborhood, to under the 'L' to a sketcher one. Couple young punks said something about a lead pipe, we just ignored them and rode on.
Old 08-26-19, 02:58 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I concur with the "she'll be fine" responses.

However, this entire thread is more about OP's emotional state than actual safety of the tourist/daughter, isn't it?

With that in mind, here's one suggestion. If the daughter decides (in her on-the-spot opinion) that her situational awareness antennae are strongly negative, offer to cover one or more night's motel or B&B charges so she can get inside, behind a locked door, hopefully with some security cameras in the area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.