Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ultegra DI2 Lights / button / Etubes

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-08-19, 06:28 AM
acrafton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I picked up a new Specialized Roubaix and the fitting took longer than it should have and the guy didn't explain the Di2 lights button, etc. . .so, I am confused. On the right bar end is the plug in for charging as well as a button and two lights. The button doesn't seem to do anything (when pressed nothing lights up, etc). If I shift it works fine and if I hold down the right shifter I get a green and red light. When trying to connect to Shimano etubes via USB it doesn't see my bike.

So. . .can someone direct me or advise me how to make sure things are working correctly? Thanks.
Old 08-08-19, 07:48 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Unfortunately I don't know of any good "Di2 for Dummies" type resource. You mostly have to use Google and read all the available user manuals, articles, forum posts, etc. and kind of piece it all together. I don't know if Shimano even publishes a generic Di2 User's Manual. They have individual manuals for each component (front derailleur, etc.) but I haven't seen much from them that ties it all together. Documentation isn't their strong suit anyway.

You can try starting with the Shimano dealer's manual, which I think covers almost everything, but I think it's pretty dense and hard to extract the information you need, especially if you don't know ahead of time what you're looking for. Here it is for reference though. This is for the most recent Ultegra Di2 but Dura-Ace should be the same.

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-R8050-02-ENG.pdf

This is more readable but a bit dated in places (unless you have an older generation system, which you probably don't if the bike is brand new)

Shimano Ultegra and Dura-Ace Di2 Electronic Shifting ? Everything You Need to Know ? Carlton Bale .com

That button on the bar end junction box switches between several operating modes. If you just press and release quickly, I don't think it's supposed to do anything. But if you hold it in for a short time, you go into Bluetooth pairing mode (if you have a Bluetooth adapter installed). If you keep holding it even longer, you get a solid (red?) light I think, which puts you in adjustment mode where you can fine tune your front and rear derailleur trim.

If you double-click the button, you switch between shift modes, and the two lights will blink afterwards to confirm which mode you're in: 1 blink -> Manual, 2 blinks -> Shift Mode 1 (defaults to semi-synchro, I think), 3 blinks -> Shift Mode 2 (full synchro shift). If you don't know what the synchro shift modes are, then just make sure it's in Manual mode and the bike should work just like a regular mechanical groupset.

If you hold in any of the shift paddles for a second or so, the lights will give you a battery check (solid green means the battery is at least 75% charged). Then the lights will start to blink to confirm which shift mode you're in. So for example if you get a solid green, then the light goes out for a moment then both lights blink once, it means you're in Manual mode.

Finally, I have no idea why your e Tube software can't see the USB cable. Does the charging light on the cable come on when you plug the cable into the bike and your computer? If not, you may either have a faulty cable or something's not plugged in correctly.
Old 08-08-19, 10:09 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Hold down one of the left/front shifter buttons until the red, green or both lights illuminate.
  • Solid Green = 76% to 100% battery charge
  • Flashing Green = 51% to 75% battery charge
  • Solid Red = 26% to 50% battery charge
  • Flashing Red = 1% to 25% battery charge

The lights will then change to indicate the shifting mode:
  • Solid red+green lights indicate manual shift mode
  • Two blinks indicate Semi-Synchro Shift mode
  • Three blinks indicate Full-Synchro Shift mode

This isn't everything Di2 can do but it is a start. Checking the battery is the number one thing you need to do so it will get you started.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 08-13-19, 11:18 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I find this website to be a pretty good resource for all things Di2: https://di2center.com/
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-21-19, 03:42 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
I'd love to write a Di2 for dummies post, but what kind of things would you expect? My list right now:
  • How do I charge this thing
  • How often/when do I charge the bike
  • What does that button do?
  • Crash mode [in the FAQ]
  • Basic e-Tube settings [would link to other post]
  • Short description of mobile app [+ links to other posts]
  • Micro-adjust derailleurs [+there are posts on this, but linking them wouldn't hurt]
Did I miss anything?
Old 08-22-19, 07:57 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
That sounds pretty good. You could start with a "basic care and feeding" section for people like the OP who are handed a fully set up Di2 bike but haven't been given much instruction. So as you said, things like charging and checking the battery, button and light functions, the different shift modes, etc. Then basic troubleshooting or FAQ covering things like crash mode, unexplained battery drain, accidentally changing shift modes, etc. Maybe front and rear micro-adjust, if that doesn't fall under the basics. Then moving on to eTube topics.
Likes For Metaluna:
Old 08-22-19, 08:46 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
@TerryDi2C a couple other idea for your post...
  • Battery lights - what they mean
  • How to set up the different sync modes and why you'd use them or not

Cheers.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-24-19, 08:49 AM
TerryDi2C
Di2 fanatic

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
@acrafton - I have added a Di2 for Dummies page. If you're looking for help / guidance, have a look at the page NoWhammies mentioned. ;-)
Likes For TerryDi2C:
Old 08-25-19, 06:18 AM
acrafton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TerryDi2C
@acrafton - I have added a Di2 for Dummies page. If you're looking for help / guidance, have a look at the page NoWhammies mentioned. ;-)
Thanks! Just what I was looking for . .
Likes For acrafton: