Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Selle Anatomica Saddles

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Selle Anatomica Saddles

Old 03-05-18, 03:59 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Selle Anatomica Saddles

Thinking about ordering one of these, and wondering who can recommend them, who doesn't and why to both.

What are the differences between X and H's? Other than weight specifications, website rather vague.
Old 03-05-18, 06:18 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I have 4 SA saddles on 4 of 5 bikes. One of those is a NSX, the others are X series. Riders weight is the man difference between the X and H series, as well the rails.

The first one I bought, was a blemished X series, at a deep discount. I have yet to find the blemish. What sold me, was how easy the break-in was, I mean, 30 mile ride, no sore butt. Then I bought another blemished X series, beautiful. Next was a new X series , then I wanted a classic NSX series. No cutout in the middle. I got that one at Christmas, I have only used it on my trainer bike. It's a bike I don't ride long distances, so I'm not to concerned about feel.

I have over 600 miles, on each of the 3 , X series saddles. Absolutely comfy. Feel free to contact SA, if you have concerns, they will get back to you.KB
Old 03-05-18, 07:51 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by kcblair
I have 4 SA saddles on 4 of 5 bikes. One of those is a NSX, the others are X series. Riders weight is the man difference between the X and H series, as well the rails.

The first one I bought, was a blemished X series, at a deep discount. I have yet to find the blemish. What sold me, was how easy the break-in was, I mean, 30 mile ride, no sore butt. Then I bought another blemished X series, beautiful. Next was a new X series , then I wanted a classic NSX series. No cutout in the middle. I got that one at Christmas, I have only used it on my trainer bike. It's a bike I don't ride long distances, so I'm not to concerned about feel.

I have over 600 miles, on each of the 3 , X series saddles. Absolutely comfy. Feel free to contact SA, if you have concerns, they will get back to you.KB
Thanks for the info.

Do you know if there's a width difference between the X and H? Also, will it be more beneficial to go with the new 2's instead of 1's (e.g; X1 or X2)?

How about long term maintenance?
Old 03-05-18, 08:00 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Originally Posted by one4smoke
Thanks for the info.

Do you know if there's a width difference between the X and H? Also, will it be more beneficial to go with the new 2's instead of 1's (e.g; X1 or X2)?

How about long term maintenance?
Not sure on width, might email SA, get answer from horses mouth.

From their website, looks like weight is main difference. "X1 and X2. What's the difference? The frame systems. The X1 is our traditional 4130 Chromoly frame weighing in at 515 grams. The X2 is a new, modular frame. The rails are tubular stainless steel, the frame is aluminum, weighing in at 420 grams.

Both the X1 and X2 Series saddles are the most comfortable leather bicycle saddles in the world. Leather that has no break-in period and a patented slot that moves underneath you as you ride are hallmarks of these famously comfortable saddles"

There is a additive, that can be used, for riding in the rain as a treatment, but my saddles stay dry.

Only maintenance, is adjusting the tension on the leather. Lots of info on their website about that and comes with the saddle. KB
Old 03-06-18, 12:17 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I have three here: an X1 on my Ritchey (~10,500 miles) an H2 on my Cervelo (~1,000 miles) and an NSX1 (~300 miles) on my wife's bike.

The H2 is the "new" +200lb saddle, and it is noticeably stiffer than the old X2 (thicker leather on the H.) Width/fit is identical between the X and H, and NSX as well. I chose the H2 over the H1 because it is a good bit lighter, and Selle Anatomica has sales all the time, making the H2 almost the same price as the H1. I'm just now approaching the halfway point on the tension bolt on the X1, which means it will probably make 20k miles before I can finally opt for another H2. I just can't bring myself to replace the X1 purely for weight reasons, as it's the most comfortable, trouble-free saddle I've ever had.

I do strongly recommend Saddle Sauce for waterproofing the underside of the saddle if you're going to ride when any water will be present. I reapply every 6 months or so, one bottle will last forever.
Old 03-06-18, 06:44 AM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
I have a Selle Anatomica X on my carbon Merckx build, and it was comfortable from the start. Can't speak to longevity, but others have already done that. I'm keeping an eye out for another one for my Cannondale build. From my experience, they are very comfortable and well made. As other responders have said, there are sales from time to time, you may find that the model you want is on sale. I will have to check their site for blemished saddles, I didn't know about that. The X I picked up was used, but barely.
Old 03-06-18, 06:49 AM
jbell_64

Bikes: Trek fx 7.2, Raleigh Tamland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I have the newer sa saddle made for fatties, because i am one 😁, and absolutely loved it right out of the box!
Old 03-06-18, 07:04 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 247 Posts
howdy - i've got an NSX touring type bike seat.
I bought it a couple years ago.
- yes, very comfortable right out of the box
- i noticed the tensioner was loose right out of the box, so I snugged it just to where it was not loose and no more.
- compared to a lightly used Brooks, the NSX has needed to be tensioned more often. It's softer, but not in a bad way. I can go either padded or unpadded shorts on either saddle.
- I'm probably halfway through the NSX tensioner now. I think I've snugged my Brooks about 4 or 5 turns of the tensioner.
- My only NSX complaint ~~ The sides flare out as you tighten the tensioner. This only bugs me when I jump on in regular type clothes. If I wear bike-type shorts, then I don't really notice the edges flared out. I think you can see what I mean in the photo. I 'think' I can take a sharp knife and chamfer the edges a bit, just kind of shave them, and I'll be fine.
- I don't have one full time bike, so not sure how many miles I've but on this seat over the bast couple years. Maybe a thousand?
- twice a year the Brooks and the SA NSX get a schmearing of Proof Ride, on account that's what Grant Peterson says to use.
- For comparison, my other bikes mostly have the SERFAS Tegu, which is a relatively plush seat good for unpadded riding, but too cushy with bike shorts. My road type bike used to have a pretty hard, wide-ish Bontrager, but that bike got sold. My MTB has some kind of Specialized Body Geometry thing. It's ok with padded shorts.

cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: png
SA_NSX.PNG (1.49 MB, 1648 views)
Old 03-06-18, 07:19 AM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Thinking about ordering one of these, and wondering who can recommend them, who doesn't and why to both.

What are the differences between X and H's? Other than weight specifications, website rather vague.
I'm 73 and have an X series on both of my bikes. Been riding on them for approx 3 years. Still loving them.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 03-06-18, 08:12 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I have an NSX on my Sirrus, and absolutely love it! It really was comfortable right out of the box. I bought the NSX at their recommendation for someone over 175 pounds. I have never had an issue with it, other than complete comfort.

I also love my B-17, for the same and different reasons.

AnAtomica is the best!
Old 03-06-18, 01:29 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Absolutely love it. I bought an X-1 last September and it was great right out of the box. I got a touring bike last fall and wanted another. But that was about the time they added the H series AND stated specific weights. I believe the X series is for up to 180 pounds, and the H is for 190 +. I was a little put out by that since previously, the X was rated to 240 lbs or something. I weigh 200 and so NOW the H would be ideal for me, not the X. I don't think that is a problem, but there are some who reported the leather stretching on the X series and running out of adjustment.
I considered buying the H series but I've been wanting to try a Brooks and I found one at a price considerably below the Selle Anatomica. So I put a Brooks B-17 on the touring bike. I like it a lot too & find it very comfortable. I've been very pleased to find the leather saddles really work for me and I've ridden either my road bike with the Selle, or the touring bike with the Brooks, all winter mostly without any padded cycling gear.

But I'd give the nod to the Selle Anatomica. When I add another bike or otherwise have need of buying another saddle, I personally would probably choose the Selle over the Brooks.

Last edited by WNCGoater; 03-06-18 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-06-18, 09:07 PM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 129 Posts
This thread led me to visit the Selle Anatomica site, where I learned they recommend against using Proofide or most any other leather treatment on their saddles. My SA saddle has not yet been exposed to rain, so I ordered some of SA's special sauce.
Hoping to get many years of enjoyment out of the saddle, even tho it is not on my A bike. It looks real good on my '88 Trek 400.
Old 03-06-18, 11:58 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
howdy - i've got an NSX touring type bike seat.
I bought it a couple years ago.
- yes, very comfortable right out of the box
- i noticed the tensioner was loose right out of the box, so I snugged it just to where it was not loose and no more.
- compared to a lightly used Brooks, the NSX has needed to be tensioned more often. It's softer, but not in a bad way. I can go either padded or unpadded shorts on either saddle.
- I'm probably halfway through the NSX tensioner now. I think I've snugged my Brooks about 4 or 5 turns of the tensioner.
- My only NSX complaint ~~ The sides flare out as you tighten the tensioner. This only bugs me when I jump on in regular type clothes. If I wear bike-type shorts, then I don't really notice the edges flared out. I think you can see what I mean in the photo. I 'think' I can take a sharp knife and chamfer the edges a bit, just kind of shave them, and I'll be fine.
- I don't have one full time bike, so not sure how many miles I've but on this seat over the bast couple years. Maybe a thousand?
- twice a year the Brooks and the SA NSX get a schmearing of Proof Ride, on account that's what Grant Peterson says to use.
- For comparison, my other bikes mostly have the SERFAS Tegu, which is a relatively plush seat good for unpadded riding, but too cushy with bike shorts. My road type bike used to have a pretty hard, wide-ish Bontrager, but that bike got sold. My MTB has some kind of Specialized Body Geometry thing. It's ok with padded shorts.

cheers.
SA will lace your saddle at no charge. This will take care of the flare.
Old 03-07-18, 09:14 AM
WNCGoater

Originally Posted by Doug64
SA will lace your saddle at no charge. This will take care of the flare.

Or get a leather punch and a couple zip ties and save $30 + shipping. In fact, I was kinda disappointed to learn they use zip ties. I'd probably at least thread a shoelace or similar through there so It can be adjusted without having to cut off the old zip tie and put on a new one.

Obviously a zip tie will work, but I'd be a bit embarassed to send out my high quality product with a zip tie "fix". I'd at least use a leather lace to make it look a bit more in tune with the product and the price being paid.
But that's just me.
Old 03-07-18, 10:02 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
I bought an X-2 about 3-4 months ago. As mentioned by someone else, mine came completely untensioned as in I could turn the screw by hand. Since it says its supposed to come tensioned I wrote them and they just suggested I tighten till there was a half inch of sag.

The saddle is comfortable but also is fairly noisy. Creaks a fair bit and rattles when out of the saddle. The rattle is better with tension but never goes away. I'm not bothered by that kind of thing but I know some are.

The longest ride I've done was a bit over 60 miles and had no discomfort from the saddle at all, which was a real improvement since my last one was torture after about 30.
Old 03-07-18, 12:35 PM
Doug64

Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Or get a leather punch and a couple zip ties and save $30 + shipping. In fact, I was kinda disappointed to learn they use zip ties. I'd probably at least thread a shoelace or similar through there so It can be adjusted without having to cut off the old zip tie and put on a new one.

Obviously a zip tie will work, but I'd be a bit embarassed to send out my high quality product with a zip tie "fix". I'd at least use a leather lace to make it look a bit more in tune with the product and the price being paid.
But that's just me.
The work is done at no cost to the saddle owner. You can replace the zip ties with whatever you want. I actually like the zip ties better than the lacing on my Brooks saddle. Besides, the shipping probably costs less than a good leather punch.
Old 03-07-18, 12:36 PM
Don Buska

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I've been riding Selle Anatomica X's (Vintage with Brass Rivets) for the past four years now. As others have said I'm sold on them. Here is a link to my personal adjustment procedure based on my mistakes with the first one and the subsequent lessons from the 2nd through 5th

Had to include my literal saddle line-up picture. I have one more bike in the restoration stage (75 Fuji 'The Finest') that will also get an SA saddle when done.

BTW, I weigh in at between 150-160 lbs normally, so the X (X1) is perfect for me.

Last edited by Don Buska; 03-07-18 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-07-18, 01:20 PM
WNCGoater

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I bought an X-2 about 3-4 months ago. As mentioned by someone else, mine came completely untensioned as in I could turn the screw by hand. Since it says its supposed to come tensioned I wrote them and they just suggested I tighten till there was a half inch of sag.

The saddle is comfortable but also is fairly noisy. Creaks a fair bit and rattles when out of the saddle. The rattle is better with tension but never goes away. I'm not bothered by that kind of thing but I know some are.

The longest ride I've done was a bit over 60 miles and had no discomfort from the saddle at all, which was a real improvement since my last one was torture after about 30.
I've read a number of complaints about noise. When mine was new, I got a squeak with the new leather as I was climbing. I don't notice that now but I'm pretty hard of hearing. I have not noticed any rattle when out of the saddle. I agree though, long distance it is a lifesaver & I've been very comfortable on mine. The arthritis in my neck starts flaring up now long before any complaining from my backside!

Originally Posted by Doug64
The work is done at no cost to the saddle owner. You can replace the zip ties with whatever you want. I actually like the zip ties better than the lacing on my Brooks saddle. Besides, the shipping probably costs less than a good leather punch.
As far as no cost, if you say so, but there's this:
https://selleanatomica.com/products/lace

I have a leather punch. It could certainly be drilled instead of punched.

Anyway and FWIW, I haven't personally found any need for the stitching, at least not at this point. Mine worked like a dream for me right out of the box.
Old 03-07-18, 01:33 PM
Doug64

Originally Posted by WNCGoater
I've read a number of complaints about noise. When mine was new, I got a squeak with the new leather as I was climbing. I don't notice that now but I'm pretty hard of hearing. I have not noticed any rattle when out of the saddle. I agree though, long distance it is a lifesaver & I've been very comfortable on mine. The arthritis in my neck starts flaring up now long before any complaining from my backside!

As far as no cost, if you say so, but there's this:
https://selleanatomica.com/products/lace

I have a leather punch. It could certainly be drilled instead of punched.

Anyway and FWIW, I haven't personally found any need for the stitching, at least not at this point. Mine worked like a dream for me right out of the box.
My information is outdated, sorry about that, I was wrong. When I had mine done about 3 years ago, there was no charge.
Old 03-07-18, 01:37 PM
WNCGoater

No problem.
As I said, I've not needed that done to mine but if anyone did, it would be a pretty easy DIY at home.
Old 03-07-18, 02:38 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Originally Posted by Don Buska
I've been riding Selle Anatomica X's (Vintage with Brass Rivets) for the past four years now. As others have said I'm sold on them. Here is a link to my personal adjustment procedure based on my mistakes with the first one and the subsequent lessons from the 2nd through 5th

Had to include my literal saddle line-up picture. I have one more bike in the restoration stage (75 Fuji 'The Finest') that will also get an SA saddle when done.

BTW, I weigh in at between 150-160 lbs normally, so the X (X1) is perfect for me.

Wow ! DON, almosts looks like my stable, of SA saddles. But, I have 2 brown, and 2 black. Just bought a classic for my Concorde at Christmas. KB
Old 03-07-18, 05:55 PM
Don Buska

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
Wow ! DON, almosts looks like my stable, of SA saddles. But, I have 2 brown, and 2 black. Just bought a classic for my Concorde at Christmas. KB
Thanks Ken. When I recently completed the Yellow 75 Fuji S10-S I used an original NOS black Fujita saddle to match the Yellow/Black of the bike. Last week we had a few days of ridable weather and I took that S10-S out for a short 5 mile ride. After returning home I quickly removed the Fujita and installed an SA off another of my bikes that I will be selling shortly. Appears SA has me as a lifetime users now, as there was no way I could do a 25+ mile ride with that Fujita saddle, and it was a well padded saddle at that

BTW, during those rides last week I had the recently restored 86 Fuji 'Sekkei Series' out for over 50 miles without issues as that one already had the SA saddle installed. Perhaps I should monitor the SA website for a blemished black X saddle for the yellow bike.
Old 03-07-18, 06:12 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Thanks Ken. When I recently completed the Yellow 75 Fuji S10-S I used an original NOS black Fujita saddle to match the Yellow/Black of the bike. Last week we had a few days of ridable weather and I took that S10-S out for a short 5 mile ride. After returning home I quickly removed the Fujita and installed an SA off another of my bikes that I will be selling shortly. Appears SA has me as a lifetime users now, as there was no way I could do a 25+ mile ride with that Fujita saddle, and it was a well padded saddle at that

BTW, during those rides last week I had the recently restored 86 Fuji 'Sekkei Series' out for over 50 miles without issues as that one already had the SA saddle installed. Perhaps I should monitor the SA website for a blemished black X saddle for the yellow bike.
Yep, I have't had any issues with blemish saddles, they're still new. Only my touring bike, has a conventional saddle, and I don't ride that bike too much. Maybe a 3 day trip, that's about it. I went for the NXS, as I wanted to try one, for my Concorde.
It sits on my trainer at the moment. I was able to get 70 mi. in , on the 3 nice days we had in New England. KB
Old 03-08-18, 05:54 PM
one4smoke

Thanks for the experience advice and info link, Don.

Do you find with these saddles that you're tilting the nose upward just a bit more than you normally would with a standard saddle? Does the curvature in the rear of the saddle make this somewhat more necessary?
Old 03-08-18, 06:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
a quarter rounding skiving tool may help ,, round off those square edges of the leather ..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.