Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why Is Cycling So Popular in the U.K.?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 03:13 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

Any cycling enthusiast can't help but notice that several of the top online bicycling retailers are U.K. based and so are some of the best cycling publications. It seems like Brits are enamored with bicycling as a sport and bicycles as commute vehicles in a way that Americans have never been and probably never will be. Here is an article which talks about some of the causes, including the government's support of bike to work with tax cuts, as well as outstanding olympic performances by brits in cycling.

It seems like bicycle sales are growing at an explosive pace:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-35101252

I don't think cars will ever be displaced as the no.1 form of transportation in the US but are there lessons to be drawn from the British case?
Old 11-19-18, 03:43 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
It actually wasn't that popular in the UK until the last decade.
Old 11-19-18, 04:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
congestion taxation?

since 1900? few could afford cars but the lord of the manor..

Aka, 'Push bikes', because your hill climbing gear was 2 feet.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-21-18 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 04:02 PM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
It actually wasn't that popular in the UK until the last decade.
Agreed, though there was always a lot more use of bikes as transport than I've ever seen over here. (Born and raised in the UK)

Boardman and the Olympics.

The success of Wiggins, Froome, and so on.

The creation of the National Cycle Network

Distances are so much shorter there than here.

Lots of good reasons to be a cyclist in the UK.
Old 11-19-18, 04:32 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Yeah, well, the author is 'bike-obsessed', so not exactly objective journalism... but sure, great for Britons. Shame that more isn't done here to incentivize people to get on bikes.
Old 11-19-18, 04:48 PM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Because bicycles are more reliable than stereotypical British cars?

Old 11-19-18, 05:24 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A British rider has won the Tour de France every year, save one, since 2012. That caused a cycling boom. Armstrong also caused a cycling boom in the US when he was winning Tours.
Old 11-19-18, 05:40 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Distance, climate, terrain, and spare time, combined with a higher relative cost of using a car.

Since you've mentioned e-bikes in other threads, one thing we can learn is that electric-assist can help with the first three issues.
Old 11-19-18, 07:52 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Auto gas prices
Old 11-19-18, 08:18 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
because it's in Europe. Where is biking and bike racing really popular? Europe

Europe likes soccer better than the U.S. too, and the royal family! All things that will never be as popular in the U.S. as in Europe

​​​​​​​it's culture. We like a lot of stuff that you guys don't, like guns
Old 11-19-18, 08:29 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Oh man, my brother subscribed to "Sporting Cyclist" magazine back in the 60's. An English publication that covered cycling in the UK and the Continent. With lines like "I want to be a coureur when I grow up dad". And Sun cycles "Too good for the shed" ads. Rudi Altig pushing Jacques Anquetil in the Barracchi Tropheo, "Courage Jacques, Courage".

England is just rich in cycling lore. You have the Bates brothers building bikes with Reynolds Cantiflex tubing and Jack Taylor, Witcomb, Holdsworth, Hetchens, on and on. Every little hamlet another frame builder. And Raleigh, Viking, Falcon, Dawes, Dunelt, and on and on. Ian Hibell riding everywhere in the world. Tommy Godwins 75,000 miles in a year. World Champions Reg Harris, Tom Simpson, Buryl Burton. Ray "the boot" Booty who broke 4 hrs for the 100 mile TT in 1956, on an 84" fixed gear!

All you have to do is watch this video and you'll get it.
https://youtu.be/QPkT0paGEnQ
Old 11-19-18, 08:47 PM
radroad

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by big chainring
Oh man, my brother subscribed to "Sporting Cyclist" magazine back in the 60's. An English publication that covered cycling in the UK and the Continent. With lines like "I want to be a coureur when I grow up dad". And Sun cycles "Too good for the shed" ads. Rudi Altig pushing Jacques Anquetil in the Barracchi Tropheo, "Courage Jacques, Courage".

England is just rich in cycling lore. You have the Bates brothers building bikes with Reynolds Cantiflex tubing and Jack Taylor, Witcomb, Holdsworth, Hetchens, on and on. Every little hamlet another frame builder. And Raleigh, Viking, Falcon, Dawes, Dunelt, and on and on. Ian Hibell riding everywhere in the world. Tommy Godwins 75,000 miles in a year. World Champions Reg Harris, Tom Simpson, Buryl Burton. Ray "the boot" Booty who broke 4 hrs for the 100 mile TT in 1956, on an 84" fixed gear!

All you have to do is watch this video and you'll get it.
https://youtu.be/QPkT0paGEnQ
That video just makes me fall in cycling all over again.

It seems like we can only get a small approximation of that culture in select college and university towns.
Old 11-19-18, 10:49 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Cycling was popular in the US around the turn of the last century. The Wright Brothers were not an anomaly -- there was a bike shop in every town. But the US is where mass production of the automobile got its start, and that's what killed cycling. Today, our cities are designed around the car.

Cycling culture thrives in college towns where the college is modeled after a Medieval European city. If you visit the typical regional or commuter college campus, it's all cars. It's not about culture, but about urban design, economics, and objective factors such as climate.
Old 11-20-18, 04:17 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Yes, lots of reasons for it, I think. Our cities, too, are designed around the car but we're finally starting to see some push-back on that - not simply, or even primarily, for cyclists but for pedestrians as well.

I can only speak for London, as I've never commuted to any other city, but for most driving in to the city is not practical. Costly as the trains are (and they are very costly) they are still way cheaper than driving due to congestion charges and parking charges as well as fuel and insurance costs. Plus there's the fact that many of our roads reach gridlock pretty frequently. The cost of travelling by train has been steadily rising at a rate greater than inflation while the service seems to be actually getting worse. I'm not surprised that those who can find an alternative do

Since June of this year I've hardly taken the train into work but I was forced to last week due to bad weather. I came to the realisation that it's actually really stressful these days. As per usual there was some melt-down with our ancient signalling system and suddenly there were no trains going my way. So you leap on the first one going in roughly the right direction, but the lack of information and poor management coordination leaves you wondering just when on earth you're going to get home, the lack of trains means you end up standing in a crowded compartment (picking up all the viruses going the rounds), and so on. The journey ended up taking me an hour longer than it would have done to cycle. With an 18 mile commute (plus a 600ft climb) most people would probably say I live too far away to cycle but I've done it so much this year that I'm probably the fittest I've been since I was 20, and I've just passed my 62nd birthday. If I've come to that conclusion then I'm sure many others have too.
Old 11-20-18, 04:53 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthFLpix
A British rider has won the Tour de France every year, save one, since 2012. That caused a cycling boom. Armstrong also caused a cycling boom in the US when he was winning Tours.
Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

Pro sports have been rigged for so long, its amazing that there are still so many enthusiasts that haven't caught on to the marketing scam.
Old 11-20-18, 05:43 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Somehow this doesn't surprise me.

Pro sports have been rigged for so long, its amazing that there are still so many enthusiasts that haven't caught on to the marketing scam.
There's a lot of sheep out there and the wolves know it.
Old 11-20-18, 07:16 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
Parking sucks.
Public transport can let you down.
Not a lot of big hills.
Old 11-20-18, 07:28 AM
Lazyass

For everyone who suddenly wants the USA to be like Europe, gas prices in the UK are well over $6US a gallon. Six+ bucks a gallon. Think about that for a minute.
Old 11-20-18, 07:51 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
For everyone who suddenly wants the USA to be like Europe, gas prices in the UK are well over $6US a gallon. Six+ bucks a gallon. Think about that for a minute.
Driving sucks.
Old 11-20-18, 08:35 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 146 Posts
And taxes, don't forget taxes.
Old 11-20-18, 08:42 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
One effect of this is the rise of the major UK warehouse online sellers such as Chain Reaction, Wiggles, etc...
It's great for US consumers. And these UK sellers go out of their ways to grab US sellers, and probably putting the pain on the US online sellers at the same time.
Old 11-20-18, 08:43 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
And taxes, don't forget taxes.
Yes, 20% on petrol. That's just mind boggling.
Old 11-20-18, 08:51 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Yes, 20% on petrol. That's just mind boggling.
Yes, but it works! Keeps the roads less busy and public transportation used at a high rate or bicycles. They are way more energy efficient as a county that we are. Also look at the cars people own over the pond. You don't see large SUV's, a pickup truck is owned out of need not desire. People drive compact car. I am glad I am not forced to drive a tiny car because of prices and taxes.

We could learn a little bit from them on environmentally friendliness. Granted their county/cities and such is closer together than the US but they make us look silly in the public transportation set up.

I wish I didn't have to own two cars. If my wife and I could get by with one vehicle I would be all over that for the money savings alone. But just not possible.
Old 11-20-18, 08:52 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Nobody said that the USA should be just like Europe.

The thread asked why cycling was more popular in the UK, that's all. That's what people are discussing.

I find the responses from non-US members fascinating.

-Tim-
Old 11-20-18, 08:58 AM
Lazyass

Originally Posted by sdmc530
Yes, but it works! Keeps the roads less busy and public transportation used at a high rate or bicycles.
It's criminal to make your citizens pay that kind of money for one gallon of gas. Trying to justify it just because you personally don't like or need an automobile is wrong. It would not work in the USA. Just look at the summer of 2008.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.