Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on DB Century 6C Carbon vs Domane SL6

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-18, 08:06 PM
tripods68

Bikes: DiamondBack Century C6 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm leaning with DB Century 6 Carbon vs Domane SL6. I have experienced with Trek Domane but not with DB. Feels you get more money for your bucks going with DB Century.
Old 11-26-18, 05:28 AM
motosonic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Diamondback podium and century bikes .I happen to have a Rally team bike and I absolutely love it. It's super comfortable and light. Climbs like a champ too. That would be my choice. Way more bike for the money.
Old 11-26-18, 05:49 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Well, the Domane SL6 is over $3500+tax. The DB is $1889.99 with free shipping if you sign up for an account on their corporate site (30% discount). That's a no brainer.
Old 11-26-18, 08:13 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
How much is local support worth to you? Not really a big deal to me. How much is IsoSpeed worth to you? After spending a season on my Domane SL5, I was surprised at how much more effective it was (at muting noise and taking the edge off of harsh jolts) than even my gravel bike's 38mm tires.

I'm a big fan of both options, and think that you'll be happy either way, but you'll have to answer the value proposition question yourself. Personally, I would value IsoSpeed over Ultegra, so I'd be looking at the Domane SL5 if budget was a concern (which is how I ended up where I am).
Old 11-27-18, 10:50 PM
tripods68

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
How much is local support worth to you? Not really a big deal to me. How much is IsoSpeed worth to you? After spending a season on my Domane SL5, I was surprised at how much more effective it was (at muting noise and taking the edge off of harsh jolts) than even my gravel bike's 38mm tires.

I'm a big fan of both options, and think that you'll be happy either way, but you'll have to answer the value proposition question yourself. Personally, I would value IsoSpeed over Ultegra, so I'd be looking at the Domane SL5 if budget was a concern (which is how I ended up where I am).
There's is definitely a big support locally here. I think I am going with DB Century after further research. I will post some more when I get it this week.
Old 12-28-18, 07:59 PM
FujiQG7

Bikes: 2021 Ridley Helium SLX Disc, 2018 Diamondback Century 6C, 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.3

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tripods68
There's is definitely a big support locally here. I think I am going with DB Century after further research. I will post some more when I get it this week.
Any update on this?? I've been in the same spot looking for a new bike and the Century 6c and Domane are on the list.
Old 12-29-18, 04:07 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm leaning with DB Century 6 Carbon vs Domane SL6. I have experienced with Trek Domane but not with DB. Feels you get more money for your bucks going with DB Century.
I believe you have to look at the more money proposition from two perspectives. Do you keep your bikes until they die or do you flip them at some point. Also with carbon need to consider the warranty IMO if not buying used. Some smoking deals on ebay for barely used or demo carbon bikes for 60% retail.

To me, I only deal in name brand stuff. Some may also believe that is a false economy but to me it isn't in peace of mind and also resale.
Now diamondback isn't a non name brand but if buying a bike I consider perhaps Trek among the top 3 or 5 and don't consider Diamondback even though it maybe a perfectly fine bike. I will say that Trek bikes incorporate the best R&D in the world...I believe in the top 3 with their designs and just don't believe a company like Diamondback can because they don't have the sales volume to defray this overhead cost.

So to me, the Trek would likely get the nod...or another name brand company with high recognition so if I want to flip the bike, I will get some residual value for it.

Also if you share what kind of a rider you are...are you fast or average...do you compete with your friends or are more of a smell the flowers kind of guy?...how much does speed matter?...what is your target tire size based upon what kind of terrain you ride, this would help create other options as well. Trek redesigned the Al Emonda for example which fits pretty big tires and this with 105 maybe all you need. 105 is excellent and in fact aside from a few grams, GCN performed a blind test against DA and couldn't really feel much of any difference....Shimano has trickled down so well...us being the lucky recipients.

A counterpoint to the redesigned Trek ALR if ride quality is your thing is the following article. One could ask, how could this be? I admit some surprise. Why didn't Trek build more compliance into the ALR or more room for bigger tires? So if ride quality is the key, you may want to consider a carbon offering. I will say the counterpart bike from competitive manufacturer, the aluminum Specialized Allez I own and redesigned for 2018 has ride quality rivaling my carbon bikes and it will fit 28c tires comfortably. It also has BSA bottom bracket, lowered seat stays for more rear compliance and aerodynamics and full carbon fork. Also has state of the art internal cable routing with full cable housings for fantastic gear changing performance. A great bike for the $$ and not much speed difference versus my fastest bikes if looking for cost effective endurance bike. I have tweaked mine with carbon handlebar and seatpost...only personal preference for setback and ergonomics mostly...of course some weight reduction and damping comes along for the ride.

https://cyclingtips.com/2018/07/2019...da-alr-review/

Last edited by Campag4life; 12-29-18 at 04:27 AM.
Old 01-01-19, 06:53 PM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They are both good bikes. Trek carries more brand recognition and will cost more money but have a better resale value. Personally’ this would not matter to me. The pricing on the DB, especially with the corporate discounts is hard to pass up. Get the bike you can afford and like the looks of.
Old 01-09-19, 07:37 PM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Owning a Focus , BMC TeamMachine, Giant TCR, CAAD9 and a DB Podium...trust me when I tell you theres absolutely nothing wrong with the DB option.

The Century is an attractive bike with great lines and its an amazing value thanks to it's current distribution situation.
Old 01-10-19, 11:56 AM
BonkonFleet

Bikes: 2018 Trek Emonda sl6 Disc

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Did Diamondback stop making the Podium? Can't seem to find it on their website.
Old 01-10-19, 07:25 PM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BonkonFleet
Did Diamondback stop making the Podium? Can't seem to find it on their website.
Go figure, looks like they dont have it in the 2019 lineup, I know the company is undergoing changes with parent company ASI .

I just recently bought a 2017 Podium Equipe frameset in order to use my rim brake parts. For 2018 DB went Disc only, Vitesse. It's a cool bike, i know DB doesn't have the Tour presence of the other boutique bikes and thus likely dont have the sales volume for a high end offering, but hope they are not retiring the Podium line.
Old 01-12-19, 02:09 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Esthetic
Go figure, looks like they dont have it in the 2019 lineup, I know the company is undergoing changes with parent company ASI .
Diamondback is owned by the Accell Group and not related to ASI.
Old 01-14-19, 11:05 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Who makes DB and Raleigh bikes nowadays? Chinese OEM?
Old 01-22-19, 07:42 AM
skier757

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don’t know if the original poster made a purchase yet, but I own a Diamondback Century 5C, the red 2017 Ultegra that lines up with the 2018 6C (other than generation of Ultegra) and I love it. I actually rode my first Century on the bike and had 1,400 miles in for the season. Not many miles compared to others here, but by far the most I have ridden in years as a 58 year old with back and neck problems. I came from a Cannondale Optimo Cross disc bike, and the ride difference is stunning. The carbon really soaks up bad PA roads, and the ability to run fat tires is great. I’m running 34’s right now. The Century flys up hills, has the gearing my older legs needs, and with the discs and stiff carbon main frame you can truly scream downhill.

With all that said, my bike arrived needing the disc brakes to be bled. I am a past mechanic so no problem, and Diamondback showered me with compensation in the form of tubes and parts etc for my trouble since I took care of it myself. They do stand behind their products, they are responsive, and as long as you are comfortable doing a little wrenching I would not hesitate to buy Diamondback. If you want shop support REI and Performance were carrying Diamondback last year.

Good luck
Old 01-28-19, 03:34 PM
tripods68

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FujiQG7
Any update on this?? I've been in the same spot looking for a new bike and the Century 6c and Domane are on the list.
sorry for the late post, I went for DB carbon 6c. So far I’ve been riding for about 500 miles. I must say I’m am definitely impressed and smoothness ride with ultegra groupset. The price was the major decision I went with DB. Coming from DS 2’Trek hybrid, it’s definitely a changed in speed being newbie in road cycling. Looking forward to riding in the Sierra mountain this spring and Lake Tahoe this summer. Hope to post picture soon. The 28 tires is great fast simply. Where I am, not much of a hill, mostly flat road but I have been enjoying the ride so far.

Last edited by tripods68; 02-21-19 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-06-19, 12:48 PM
FujiQG7

Bikes: 2021 Ridley Helium SLX Disc, 2018 Diamondback Century 6C, 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.3

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 15 Posts

sorry for the late post, I went fot DB carbon 6c. So far I’ve been riding for about 500 miles. I must say I’m am definitely impressed and smoothness ride with ultegra groupset. The price was the major decision I went with DB. Coming from DS 2’Trek hynbrid, it’s definitely a changed in speed being newbie in road cycling. Looking forward to riding in the Sierra mountain this spring and Lake Tahoe this summer. Hope to post picture soon.
I actually went with the Century 6c as well. It's all put together and ready to ride...except that we just got hit with snow here in the Seattle area and no warming up for at least a week so all I can do is look at it haha. I'm excited to see how it rides and put some miles on it this year!
Old 02-21-19, 11:24 AM
tripods68

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FujiQG7
I actually went with the Century 6c as well. It's all put together and ready to ride...except that we just got hit with snow here in the Seattle area and no warming up for at least a week so all I can do is look at it haha. I'm excited to see how it rides and put some miles on it this year!
Glad to hear fellow riders that bought the same bike. I thought I will have a buyer remorse after a while, so far its a great purchase. When saw 2019 Trek Domane SL with ultergra groupset it's price at $3700....WOW! Yah...no regret here
Old 02-21-19, 01:54 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
domane disk has more tire clearance, so it can be used as gravel bike if you wish