Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Two bikers down

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Two bikers down

Old 07-15-19, 01:43 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Two bikers down

One already died and the other... San Jose, CA

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Bicyclists-Struck-SUV-San-Jose-512732871.html
Likes For McBTC:
Old 07-16-19, 12:42 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
ugh rush hour ... 3rd fatal bike crash in last 3 months for that city. wonder where the driver was coming from in that parking lot & if she stopped to look. wonder if that sign & those trees obscured her view. too sad

that's a darn big sign

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...ol-expressway/

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-16-19 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-16-19, 12:59 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
"Pulling out of the parking lot"? Apparently excessive speed was not a factor. The only way to explain a death in that case is if she was distracted and simply drove over them after the collision. Texting while driving?
Old 07-16-19, 01:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Oh... tough one. And, yes, the question is why she wasn't able to stop before there were serious injuries. Or did the the bikes side-swipe the car?

It looks like there was probably a bike lane that disappeared into a turn lane.

I often try to check behind myself, and pull left when I see an anxious looking driver pulling onto the road. But, that may not always be possible, or practical.

I hope for a speedy recovery for the cyclist that remains in the hospital.
Old 07-16-19, 02:11 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
"Pulling out of the parking lot"? Apparently excessive speed was not a factor.
Why do you assume that? A "California stop" and then rapidly accelerate to get into traffic and not have to wait behind those cyclists...
Old 07-16-19, 02:36 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
An example of one my most hated and feared vehicular interactions; the 90˚ approach.

I hate, Hate, HATE when a vehicle approaches at a 90˚ angle such as side streets or parking lot exits and we come together at the same time. Drivers are looking for vehicles not bicycles and often roll right through without a careful stop. I've had more close calls than I care to think about over the 90˚ situation. I'd like to see the full extent of the law applied here, but seriously doubt it will happen. One dead, one fighting for his life, and one who wasn't paying attention. So sad.

-Kedosto
Old 07-16-19, 02:55 PM
BKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
"Pulling out of the parking lot"? Apparently excessive speed was not a factor. The only way to explain a death in that case is if she was distracted and simply drove over them after the collision. Texting while driving?
Looking at that first pic without watching the feed I'd guess speed had to be a factor, and ......if in addition she then proceeded to run them over because she was TWD she deserves more than prison.
Old 07-16-19, 03:40 PM
Rick

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
I looked at a study from the 70s that showed up to 89% of car bike collisions were at intersections. Any driveway or stop or signal. I looked at the video and I did not hear the news caster state the direction of travel for the bicyclists. I have had close calls were I turned in where they were turning out or yelled and they stopped. Somebody was distracted and mayhem happened. This is very bad and tragic.
Old 07-16-19, 03:42 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Bike forums forensics experts are on the case.
Old 07-16-19, 04:44 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
"Authorities said the incident is the 26th fatal collision that occurred in San Jose this year.

Gene Hill, a resident of the area for 47 years, says drivers can be seen rolling through nearby stop signs all the time.

“But, it’s really tough for bicyclists. There’s a huge amount of traffic on this street. I admire them getting their exercise and getting out in this beautiful air. It’s a nice neighborhood. But I’m sorry this sort of thing happens,” said Hill."
Old 07-16-19, 09:37 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
I recently was talking with my sister about biking. She said she never sees them, meaning when she does see the biker its too late to react. I said to her... If you're tailgating the vehicle in front of you, You won't see the biker. If you're not tailgating, you will see the biker. It made her think.

Hard to read these sort of stories. Loved ones lost.
Likes For BirdsBikeBinocs:
Old 07-17-19, 03:30 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Obviously I'm not familiar with the junction but one possible explanation for collisions at intersections is 'constant bearing, reducing range'. There's a very interesting article on this centered around a particular junction in the UK where this is an issue: Collision Course: Why this type of junction will keep killing cyclists
Old 07-17-19, 04:32 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
I recently was talking with my sister about biking. She said she never sees them, meaning when she does see the biker its too late to react. I said to her... If you're tailgating the vehicle in front of you, You won't see the biker. If you're not tailgating, you will see the biker. It made her think.

Hard to read these sort of stories. Loved ones lost.
As a long time motorcyclist and MSF Instructor I am all too familiar with the "I didn't see him" response. People in cars expect to see cars. 2-wheeled vehicles often don't show up in their brains. This happens all the time.
Old 07-17-19, 04:35 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Some intersections are very problematic. There is one on my commute home where, in the last couple of months, I've had 3 cars pull in front of me when I am clearly in view. The other afternoon, a girl passenger started hitting the driver in the arm and yelling at them that there was a bike there. I have learned to expect that to happen there.
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 07-17-19, 04:58 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
Sad, sad, sad, I worry a lot down here in Ventura County it is becoming more and more dangerous. I know distraction is a huge factor in most cases , but we do not know the details. I was riding a bike lane when a police officer suddenly pulled in front of me and stopped. I barely missed being part of the rear of the SUV police vehicle. As I went around to the drivers window that was rolled down, he was on a dash mounted laptop!!! I let him know how upset I was at his negligence and he apologized and I went about on my way. I don't get it, if it is not safe for anyone to use a computer while driving , why do it? Yes our phones are computers!! Joe
Old 07-17-19, 04:59 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
.............................. People in cars expect to see cars......................
Sadly, many people don't even see cars or trucks or motorcycles. Just had a 4 wheel turn left as 2 wheel (motorcycle) approached. 2 wheel went into passenger door resulting in 2 wheel rider death + passenger in 4 wheel vehicle. Didn't see??? and/or a lack of comprehension in speed of approaching 2 wheel???
Old 07-17-19, 05:55 AM
Rick

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 261 Posts
People are not seeing what they don't expect to see. I have trained myself to look for every sign, pedestrian, bicyclist, dog and rodent etc. This takes practice. When riding in congested areas I have had to turn in where the right hooking motorist is going and Turn to there inside where they are coming onto the road several times to keep from being hit. My voice and the use of lights helps helps keep them from rolling into me when they are entering the rode. Our requirements for operating a motor vehicle on the road are not up to the task. Proper training and education are not a priority because of the cost. My last year in the military I was in Germany. There requirements for operating a motor vehicle down the road are extreme compared to us getting our license in a cracker jack box. The difference was very noticeable.

Last edited by Rick; 07-17-19 at 05:59 AM.
Likes For Rick:
Old 07-17-19, 06:40 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Nothing's perfect

... but this is where my Airzound helps: On the Stone Mountain trail, going downhill at speed. Approaching t-intersection and can see vehicle coming quickly to stop sign. Two bursts before we got there and the driver slowed to a stop for me to proceed.

Much better than 30 mins before when the 82nd Airborne A-hole made a right turn by driving totally on the sidewalk and right at me. Thought they trained dem pingers to read and obey manuals....
Old 07-17-19, 07:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Sad, sad, sad, I worry a lot down here in Ventura County it is becoming more and more dangerous. I know distraction is a huge factor in most cases , but we do not know the details. I was riding a bike lane when a police officer suddenly pulled in front of me and stopped. I barely missed being part of the rear of the SUV police vehicle. As I went around to the drivers window that was rolled down, he was on a dash mounted laptop!!! I let him know how upset I was at his negligence and he apologized and I went about on my way. I don't get it, if it is not safe for anyone to use a computer while driving , why do it? Yes our phones are computers!! Joe
cops are ppl too & they can make dumb mistakes too
Old 07-17-19, 07:11 AM
rumrunn6

in looking at those pics again the trees are too tall to obstruct the driver's view. that sign doesn't obscure all the view. maybe while approaching, but there's a line of sight (if she stopped at the road & looked before proceeding). I would guess she gave a glance, didn't see them & was distracted by something else. who knows, it could have been a bird or her cell phone. & we don't know how fast the pair was moving. meaning: now you don't see them cuz of the sign, but now you do see them as you drive over them?
Old 07-17-19, 07:16 AM
rumrunn6

I almost hit a kid on a bike one sidewalk as I was exiting a McDonalds, one time. I stopped & looked both ways, as usual, but I had to keep looking left for oncoming auto traffic. when I turned to look forward again, the kid was flying past me as I started to roll, but I stopped w/o hitting him. in hindsight, I should not have rolled forward before looking & maybe he shouldn't have sped in front of my car cuz he could see I was about to enter traffic. I've been going to this McD's for years & never had a situation like that before. but now, of course I'm more attentive especially in the afternoon when the school kids are getting out. oh also the kid probably should not have been riding on the sidewalk in the opposite direction of that traffic. he was "salmoning" but on a sidewalk
Old 07-17-19, 07:20 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Rick
use of lights helps helps keep them from rolling into me when they are entering the rode
I believe my front strobe does the same. many times a car will be coming from my right, a driveway or a road & they're anticipating a rolling stop but when they see my strobe, they stop their car. but sometimes I wonder if I didn't have that light would I be feathering the brakes instead of just steady pedaling. I also wonder if I trust the front strobe too much
Old 07-17-19, 09:32 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Drove a commercial truck for 35 years. Window pillars are just wide enough to cover thin objects like bikes and pedestrians. Throw in a California stop and the bike and car movement can keep them out of view.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 07-17-19, 09:57 AM
rumrunn6

good point, I've noticed mine, in my car, block my view of things & depending on my movement & the objects movement the view of that object can be obscured for more than a split second
Old 07-17-19, 10:12 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
in looking at those pics again the trees are too tall to obstruct the driver's view. that sign doesn't obscure all the view. maybe while approaching, but there's a line of sight (if she stopped at the road & looked before proceeding). I would guess she gave a glance, didn't see them & was distracted by something else. who knows, it could have been a bird or her cell phone. & we don't know how fast the pair was moving. meaning: now you don't see them cuz of the sign, but now you do see them as you drive over them?
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
ugh rush hour ... 3rd fatal bike crash in last 3 months for that city. wonder where the driver was coming from in that parking lot & if she stopped to look. wonder if that sign & those trees obscured her view. too sad

Let me posit that she likely was making a left hand turn out of the parking lot.

A left turn means crossing the bike lane plus about 2 traffic lanes, plus merging into the left traffic lane on the opposite side of the road.

There is a curb placed in the road, preventing pulling into the center lane, then merging as a 2-step process.

Plus, it divides one's attention between vehicles in both directions.

So, see a hole... and HIT THE GAS!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.