Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

I'm tired of BF's garbage platform; I've had enough

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 11:05 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked 2,513 Times in 1,051 Posts

Once again, for the umpty-umpth time, BF has timed me out and sent a post I spent some time crafting off into the ether, never to be seen again. The number of times this has happened is well into double digits. I have reported this to the BF poobahs and have received no response. Nothing. Crickets.

There is supposed to be an auto-save function: it doesn't work for sh*t. Hasn't for years

The search function has never worked for sh*t, at least not since the founder sold BF to whatever company it was.

Since that sale, we at BF have been the unwitting beta testers of buggy updates.

And I, for one, have had enough.

I will miss the C&V community; lots of good people, great bikes and fantastic shared knowledge here. But I am tired of a forum where the people ultimately in charge (and I mean far above the level of the mods, whose thankless efforts I very much appreciate) continuously send the message that I (and all of us) are to be held in contempt. So I choose to no longer hang out in a place where management makes it so clear that they don't give a flying you-know-what about me.

Farewell and tailwinds to my fellow C&Vers.
Old 07-16-19, 11:23 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Sorry to see you go. I'm not in love with the platform either but the issues here and there hardly seem reason enough to leave the community. The website is pretty functional. Maybe I just remember the 90s and early 2000s when web and browser design was a lot cruder.
Likes For TenGrainBread:
Old 07-16-19, 11:24 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Maybe you're just too slow. Maybe you also forgot to click on Remember Me when you signed in OR...

maybe if you changed your browser settings to save cookies...

Them cookies are not bad for you.
Old 07-17-19, 12:01 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 935 Posts
Just out of curiosity- have you been on any other forums recently?

The software/format is the same or better than a lot of the other ones. It's not BF's or IB's forum software.

And for the record, I don't see a single thread you've started in the User Assistance forum.

https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...er-assistance/

FWIW- every issue I brought up there was replied to and at least looked at.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.

Last edited by The Golden Boy; 07-17-19 at 12:06 AM.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 07-17-19, 12:20 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Bummer, and I just sent him a PM.
Old 07-17-19, 12:52 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Check your browser settings. If you're in any form of privacy mode, including ad blockers, script blockers, caching, etc., it can interfere with saving drafts of posts.

Generally I use Firefox for semi-private browsing, Chrome for stuff where I'm not concerned about tracking. But recently I'm using Firefox more often for everything, then switching to Duck Duck Go and Start Page for privacy. But DDG and SP don't play nice with anything that requires caching, so I don't use those for sites where I sign in to participate.

Also, if we delay too long before submitting a post, it'll time out and the post may be lost. Occasionally I'll get distracted and not return to a post until the next day. I have to remember to save the draft to the clipboard, then refresh the browser page.

This isn't just bike forums. Pretty much any site can have the same quirk.

But sometimes we just need a break even from a long time favorite site.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-17-19, 12:54 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18354 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Hmmm...

I periodically get the "Please Log in Again"... or something to that effect, when I'm obviously logged in. It usually has to do with my not quite finishing a reply, and either sleeping on it, or forgetting it for a while, finding it again, and finishing writing.

Sometimes I can get it back with a back button or refresh. I think it depends on what screen I was on. I think Quick Reply normally eats my messages.

Fortunately, it has been a while since that has popped up.

I do periodically get time-outs when replying. I scramble to copy anything I can, and save it on my machine if possible. I think Bike Forums does usually allow a "reload".

I am more likely to lose something that I wrote on my cell phone than on the laptop, and I think it is due to the phone.

And, of course, in general, my slow internet connection doesn't help.

I suppose I've gotten used to a few of BF's quirks.

The worst thing is that everybody knows that newbies have issues with posting photos. Yet, it is just that way by design.
Old 07-17-19, 01:30 AM
justslow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Maybe you're just too slow. Maybe you also forgot to click on Remember Me when you signed in OR...

maybe if you changed your browser settings to save cookies...

Them cookies are not bad for you.
If I logged in, I did it on purpose. Why is it necessary to click on a button to reiterate my intent?

Keeping every cookie that's set in my browser is never gonna' happen.

I too have been mighty annoyed by the issues stated by the OP.
Old 07-17-19, 03:57 AM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
I've never, not once had that problem with the BF software. The problem is in your browser, or in your internet service provider. Or, it can be in your computer; insufficient RAM memory, malware, OS updates downloading in the background, virus software hogging resources, and other things can cause your browser to run slow and time out on the forum, at the bank, or wherever you happen to be logged on.

So instead of storming off in a snit, why don't you compose your post in Word and save it to your computer, then copy and paste to the forum?

This is of course assuming what you have to say is worth saving...

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Likes For BookFinder:
Old 07-17-19, 04:27 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
One way to stop losing longer, detailed posts due to timing out is to highlight it and right click, then copy it.

That way you can just paste it back into the box if you time out.

I also have not had much difficulty using the search function. I usually search for threads, so I select thread titles, rather than posts, and then type in the best keywords.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 07-17-19, 04:27 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
I was not going to contribute as I

Eroica California pre-ride with Northbend(Matt) , Bikingshearer(Rich) , and me Kabuki12(Joe) in the middle
sent Rich an email to express my feelings. I will miss him , we met a number of years ago at the first Eroica California via this very forum. I will stay in touch and a friendship that is still going strong will continue on. I only see Rich once a year at that event and always enjoy the time together.
Old 07-17-19, 04:30 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to Forum Assistance.
Old 07-17-19, 04:37 AM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by BookFinder
I've never, not once had that problem with the BF software. The problem is in your browser, or in your internet service provider. Or, it can be in your computer; insufficient RAM memory, malware, OS updates downloading in the background, virus software hogging resources, and other things can cause your browser to run slow and time out on the forum, at the bank, or wherever you happen to be logged on.

So instead of storming off in a snit, why don't you compose your post in Word and save it to your computer, then copy and paste to the forum?

No need to attack someone that is sharing a frustration that more than one of us has had to deal with on this forum. I too have been frustrated as others have expressed and choose to continue to use the forum instead of quitting . I do not fault someone for not wanting to tolerate the flaws of this forum. It is just where he is at. No need to insinuate that his posts are not worthy! Just sayin' Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 07-17-19, 05:07 AM
BookFinder 
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
No need to attack someone that is sharing a frustration that more than one of us has had to deal with on this forum. I too have been frustrated as others have expressed and choose to continue to use the forum instead of quitting . I do not fault someone for not wanting to tolerate the flaws of this forum. It is just where he is at. No need to insinuate that his posts are not worthy! Just sayin' Joe
Point taken, thank you. My intent was to tease him a bit, but I see how my comments could be construed otherwise. Even so, I don't think the problem is the forum software.

There is a lot of wisdom on the forum, and in a few places, conjecture and sketchy opinion. We all have to be discerning to sift the useful knowledge out of the mountains of verbiage.

For my part, if I'm posting something that has substance - meaning factual and worth keeping, I'll do the compose in Word maneuver to assure I have a copy saved to a folder on my computer.

That way, I don't spend 30 minutes on something only to have a power-blink or a software snag drop it into the internet version of a black hole. And, if I need that same content for editing and use in a later post, I have it.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Old 07-17-19, 05:21 AM
Kabuki12

Point taken, thank you. My intent was to tease him a bit, but I see how my comments could be construed otherwise. Even so, I don't think the problem is the forum software.

There is a lot of wisdom on the forum, and in a few places, conjecture and sketchy opinion. We all have to be discerning to sift the useful knowledge out of the mountains of verbiage.

For my part, if I'm posting something that has substance - meaning factual and worth keeping, I'll do the compose in Word maneuver to assure I have a copy saved to a folder on my computer.

That way, I don't spend 30 minutes on something only to have a power-blink or a software snag drop it into the internet version of a black hole. And, if I need that same content for editing and use in a later post, I have it.
Good idea! I personally don't have that good of computer skills and I enjoy this forum so I will continue to put up with the flaws. That said, my Mac is older and only has 4 gig of ram which I thought was the problem until I realized that others are sharing the same experience. Sorry for the misunderstanding, Joe
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 07-17-19, 07:38 AM
microcord

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 52 Posts
Yes, I think this happened to me once here. But it happens elsewhere a lot more often. Or rather, it would happen a lot more often. It doesn't, because if I want to post something that's going to take me a few minutes to compose, I compose it in a text editor (Geany); and, when it's ready, copy it and paste it wherever I want it. Simples!
Old 07-17-19, 07:42 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Hi @bikingshearer ,

I was glad to see a post from you, but dismayed at the content. Back in 2009 I read a post from you that as an avid former cycle tourist I have frequently quoted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Why'd you get into touring, what was your philosophy, and how did it change you?”

Touring just seemed like a fun extension soon after I discovered cycling as a college student, and had more time and less duties, starting with fifty mile one way week-end loops, to week-long tours, to a cross-country ride.

As far as touring philosphy, I think this post describes those joys best:
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
A thought or two, based on personal experience....

Also, what's the hurry? One of the joys of touring is the singleness of purpose and absence of demands. All you have to do is get there: you don't have to get there fast or get their first - and if you are touring with camping gear, odds are you can be incredibly flexible about what "getting there" means on any given day.

Embrace that. Don't let your tour become an exercise in trading one rat-race for another.
However as you currently posted:
Once again, for the umpty-umpth time, BF has timed me out and sent a post I spent some time crafting off into the ether, never to be seen again. The number of times this has happened is well into double digits. I have reported this to the BF poobahs and have received no response. Nothing. Crickets.

There is supposed to be an auto-save function: it doesn't work for sh*t. Hasn't for years

The search function has never worked for sh*t, at least not since the founder sold BF to whatever company it was.

Since that sale, we at BF have been the unwitting beta testers of buggy updates.

And I, for one, have had enough.

I will miss the C&V community; lots of good people, great bikes and fantastic shared knowledge here. But I am tired of a forum where the people ultimately in charge (and I mean far above the level of the mods, whose thankless efforts I very much appreciate) continuously send the message that I (and all of us) are to be held in contempt.

So I choose to no longer hang out in a place where management makes it so clear that they don't give a flying you-know-what about me.

I have experience with only one other, slightly active, and diminishing professional Forum, but as others have posted:
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Just out of curiosity- have you been on any other forums recently?
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Sorry to see you go. I'm not in love with the platform either but the issues here and there hardly seem reason enough to leave the community.

The website is pretty functional....
Originally Posted by BFisher
One way to stop losing longer, detailed posts due to timing out is to highlight it and right click, then copy it.

That way you can just paste it back into the box if you time ou
t.

I also have not had much difficulty using the search function. I usually search for threads, so I select thread titles, rather than posts, and then type in the best keywords.
I've never, not once had that problem with the BF software. The problem is …

Why don't you compose your post in Word and save it to your computer, then copy and paste to the forum?

As you see, I post intricately formatted nested quotes, and I copy to, and compose in Word, then paste in the BF website. It would be agonizing to lose one of my own.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-17-19 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-17-19, 07:47 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3371 Post(s)
Liked 5,494 Times in 2,846 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Maybe you also forgot to click on Remember Me when you signed in...
^This.
Every time I've seen someone complain about being timed out, it was always because they didn't do this.
On another forum I use, the box is checked by default, which makes more sense than having it unchecked by default.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 07-17-19, 07:52 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
^This.
Every time I've seen someone complain about being timed out, it was always because they didn't do this.
On another forum I use, the box is checked by default, which makes more sense than having it unchecked by default.
That too. On my PC I stay logged in until I log off. On my I-phone and I-pad, I stay on BF for a pretty limited time after clicking on REMEMBER ME.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-17-19 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-17-19, 08:14 AM
Lucillle
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts

I will miss the C&V community; lots of good people, great bikes and fantastic shared knowledge here. But I am tired of a forum where the people ultimately in charge (and I mean far above the level of the mods, whose thankless efforts I very much appreciate) continuously send the message that I (and all of us) are to be held in contempt. So I choose to no longer hang out in a place where management makes it so clear that they don't give a flying you-know-what about me.

I don't think anyone holds you in contempt. I do think that individually program software changes in huge bundles of sites may present difficulties. One change would not, but hundreds of different sites each with custom programming might. I do think that if you are courteous and persistent you might get an answer as to why this wasn't done.
https://www.internetbrands.com/contact-us/
Old 07-17-19, 09:22 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
If given the choice between moving out of a so-so neighborhood and not being around my good friends anymore, and moving to a really nice neighborhood where people don't get to know each other, I know which one I'd pick.
Old 07-17-19, 10:30 AM
IBanna
RETIRED, DO NOT PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Hi Bikingshearer,

If you're having trouble with site settings, please try the suggestions given by other users (like "cookies" "remember me" etc... )
When you do have troubles like that, report it as soon as it happens so we can more quickly find the cause for it.
Likes For IBanna:
Old 07-17-19, 10:45 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The last time I had to re-log into BF was when I bought a new computer. Like... early 2018, maybe? I use multiple browsers, I periodically use a VPN, and have never once had a post time-out or been prompted to relog in.

--Remember Me
--allow cookies
Old 07-17-19, 11:24 AM
chico81 

Bikes: 1983 Austro Daimler - Puch Pacifica, 1984 Miyata 310, 1983 Univega Gran Tourismo, 1989 Peugeot Triathlon, 1989 Bridgestone MB-1, 1992 Klein Rascal, 1992 Cannondale M-700

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
Like everything in life, there are positives and negatives. Yes, I too have ran into the issue of lost text, and it was frustrating. However, after this happened a few times I began writing my longer posts on my iPhone notes app and copy/pasting it into BF.

I have found a great community here at C&V at BF! So much great knowledge! And sometimes it’s the only venue to sell select bikes that the general public on Craigslist just don’t understand. Another great attribute to the site is that there are NO ADS! I’m not constantly being bombarded by pop ups and the previously seen items! I’m sure if BF was to sell it’s soul to advertising and pawning your data for a quick buck the bugs would be fixed in no time, but would it be worth it?

I for one don’t mind a roughing through a few frustrating “bugs” to stay in this incredibly welcoming ad-free community! For me, the positives far outweigh the negatives, and I’m sorry that the OP doesn’t feel the same.

best,
Ian

Last edited by chico81; 07-17-19 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-17-19, 12:21 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
The few people I've been lucky enough to meet and ride with from here cancels out even the worst software; at least for me.
Likes For nomadmax:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.