Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Painful groin issue

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Painful groin issue

Old 07-30-19, 08:34 PM
strohman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Painful groin issue

I have been an active cyclist for a number of years, both on the road and in spin classes during the colder months. I never had a real problem with pain in my groin. I got out of the habit and haven't ridden in over 2 years. I just started riding a spin bike at home to start getting back in shape. I'm wearing bibs when I ride but after 20 or 30 minutes I'm getting a very painful tingling in my groin. Almost like when your foot goes to sleep but worse! I definitely wouldn't call this numbness but very painful.

I have dealt with a painful butt when getting used to the seat in the past, and I know that's something that goes away in time. But this is something much worse and I'm not sure how to deal with it. I'm thinking about changing the seat on the bike, but not sure if that's the answer.

I find a lot of stuff online about "numb nuts" but nothing the describes the pain I am feeling. Maybe this is the same thing but I'm just not sure.
Old 07-30-19, 09:31 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
Stretch your hamstrings. I get upper adductor/groin pain if my hamstrings are tight.
Old 07-31-19, 06:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,289 Times in 7,228 Posts
Back after 14 years with a private area pain post as his third ever. Things that make you go "Hmmmm?"
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-31-19, 06:20 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I would:
1. Go to the doc
2. Try a different seat
3. Stand up every 5min for 30 Seconds when riding a trainer.
Old 07-31-19, 06:34 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Sounds like pressure in the area is great enough to cause the pain you are experiencing and also cutting off your circulation. Something is different as far as fit is concerned if you did not experience it before. Loss of flexibility could certainly contribute. I would start with adjusting your cockpit (bike cockpit!!!) to where you are not experiencing the pressure in that area. Could be by raising the bars, checking seat angle, lowering the seat if it's too high, etc...
Old 07-31-19, 09:28 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
What you are describing is what caused me to have to go to a nose-less ISM saddle. I don't have those issues anymore. It is very painful, those that have never felt it don't get it and will try to say your bike fit is off or a number of other things. A bike saddle is a very personal choice. Too much of that kind of pain and you won't want to ride anymore. If you weigh a little more than before (probably my biggest issue) then you may be putting more pressure on that area than before. I'm sure there are other reasons as well.

Last edited by Yendor72; 07-31-19 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-31-19, 10:11 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
I would say wrong saddle for you and/or poor angle adjustment of it. The majority of the pressure should only be on your sit bones.
Old 07-31-19, 09:46 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I would:
1. Go to the doc
2. Try a different seat
3. Stand up every 5min for 30 Seconds when riding a trainer.
I would also try different angles of seat tilt.

Also is the spin bike set up in an aerodynamic position, like aerobars and a very forward position? this would tend to put more pressure on the groin and could be causing the numbness

Try raising the handlebars this would take pressure off the front .
Old 08-02-19, 06:18 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
Strohman,
Go see your urologist! Pain in the groin in cycling may be an indicator of prostate problems. If you don't b'lieve me ask Lance. Smiles, MH
Old 08-02-19, 06:49 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Where is the groin?
Old 08-02-19, 07:00 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
Mo-Alpha,
Groin pain is normally described as pain near the testicles , or the muscles running up from that area into the stomach region. Hernias are the most common culprit in groin pain, but in cycling the testes are often beat up on the saddle. Remember that the Jock Strap makers called them "Bike" for a good reason. In many cases the pain is from a saddle that is not well fitted, or from a real physical problem. That is why I suggested a trip to the urologist. Finding the problem leads to the cure. But just guessing is a formula for disaster. Smiles, MH
Old 08-02-19, 07:27 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Mo-Alpha,
Groin pain is normally described as pain near the testicles , or the muscles running up from that area into the stomach region. Hernias are the most common culprit in groin pain, but in cycling the testes are often beat up on the saddle. Remember that the Jock Strap makers called them "Bike" for a good reason. In many cases the pain is from a saddle that is not well fitted, or from a real physical problem. That is why I suggested a trip to the urologist. Finding the problem leads to the cure. But just guessing is a formula for disaster. Smiles, MH
So is our poster referring to testicular, perineal, or inguinal pain? Those are different regions with different things in them, all of which are referred to as the groin and only one correctly.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 08-02-19 at 07:31 PM.