Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 vs. Domane SL 6

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-19, 03:13 PM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Warning odd ridiculous posting but...

So I picked my bike up from the shop today and the mechanic discovered a crack in the frame, getting the frame replace is a non-starter (ASI is out of business). So I need a new bike. Now I was thinking of buying a new bike "just because" and now I have to. I am looking at 2 bikes the Trek Domane SL 6 (carbon frame ultegra group) and a Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 (Carbon frame, Ultegra group). Both bikes are similar in that they have a carbon fiber frames, disc brakes and a full Ultegra group sets. The Trek is about $1000 more dollars than the Canyon. What I would like to know is, what's the difference that the $1K buys? I really don't know in terms of specs. Does the Trek have some sort of superior frame technology that I'm not seeing? Has anyone here done a side by side of Trek over Canyon?

I realize this is pretty nebulous but it's also what a forum will have about 500 posts on in about 4 hours.
Old 08-28-19, 04:49 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The problem with Canyon is you can't actually touch the bike until you buy it. So it is hard to make a comparison when there are few to be seen or had. The other issue is warranty. Even if the warranty is the same, Trek has a huge presence in the US and you can take your bike anywhere for warranty purposes. With the Canyon you send it back.

A counter argument would be, what is the likelihood that you need warranty service? Probably rare but when you are that one guy. . .

Trying to compare one carbon frame over the other is difficult. Even Domane has different levels of carbon.

I also look at resale value. My bet is the Trek holds its value over the Canyon.

Of course none of this really addressed your question what do you get with the Trek over the Canyon? Sometimes it just isn't about ride quality or difference but about value for your dollar. Trek is a proven commodity, so if it was me, the Trek hands down.

Last counter argument, Canyon offers a 30 day money back policy which no other company offers. Buy the bike, if you hate it send it back, love it, well you just saved a grand. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 09-02-19, 06:22 AM
TKJava

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Kestrel RT1000 Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
The problem with Canyon is you can't actually touch the bike until you buy it. So it is hard to make a comparison when there are few to be seen or had. The other issue is warranty. Even if the warranty is the same, Trek has a huge presence in the US and you can take your bike anywhere for warranty purposes. With the Canyon you send it back.

A counter argument would be, what is the likelihood that you need warranty service? Probably rare but when you are that one guy. . .

Trying to compare one carbon frame over the other is difficult. Even Domane has different levels of carbon.

I also look at resale value. My bet is the Trek holds its value over the Canyon.

Of course none of this really addressed your question what do you get with the Trek over the Canyon? Sometimes it just isn't about ride quality or difference but about value for your dollar. Trek is a proven commodity, so if it was me, the Trek hands down.

Last counter argument, Canyon offers a 30 day money back policy which no other company offers. Buy the bike, if you hate it send it back, love it, well you just saved a grand. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Thanks for your reply and I agree with you for the most part. The problem I'm having is that I want a road bike with drop handlebars that has my body in a "more upright" position e.g. an endurance geometry. I'm 6' 3" tall and for most bikes I"m in their 2 most largest sizes ether L or XL or 61, 62, 63. I have called LBSs about Trek, Bianchi, Ridley, Cannondale, Giant, Specialized and Orbea. For the most part I have called at least 2 shops carrying the aforementioned brands and each store has the same story "we never stock a bike in that size ever". In addition they all say that their "Fit expert" can put me on a contraption, take my measurements and determine what bike will "fit me". What I really want is to know is, what my body position will be like? Will I be leaning way down or sitting with my back at about 45 degrees or thereabout. I can figure out the right size that's not a problem the problem is body position. Trek actually expects that a rider who "fits" on a Emonda and that same rider who "fits' on a Domane will have a different body position on each bike. So for me I cannot actually ever even sit on the bike in my "size" even on a trainer or a 5 minute ride. This just cannot happen due to the fact the only way the Lbs will bring that bike in the store is if I buy it. For me the only thing I'm using the LBS for in this regard is to stand on the other side of the counter while they add my bike to cart and do checkout. I wait until it comes in they assemble it and now for the first time I get to sit on it and find out if my body is too low on the bike or just right. If it's not right the answer will be "well I'm sorry about that". My preference would be to buy a bike from a LBS for all the reasons you mention AND to find out if it actually is right for me. The most attractive bike I have ever seen in my life and in my opinion is the Bianchi Infinito in the Celeste green with black accents. The bike was gorgeous I could not imagine handing over $4800 waiting 2 weeks for it to come in then get on it and wish that it was comfortable.

Regarding warranty, I have a 2016 Kestrel RT 1000. I love my body position on the bike but the frame now has a crack in it. After a very long conversation with the mfr. they are going to replace my frame. The frame they are sending is a 2011, the fork is a 2012 and does not match the colors of the frame. I am absolutely certain that the LBS that I purchased the bike from would have said this would never happen to me if I buy from them.

Of course all of the aforementioned complaints are very first world problems and I consider myself fortunate to be able to have them