Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vilano Bikes...any good?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Vilano Bikes...any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 01:03 PM
vinnydelnegro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vilano Bikes...any good?

he he...thought I'd have some fun by throwing this apparently new discount bicycle out there. I saw this today on craigslist in denver and also see that it has been posted in miami as well.

https://www.vilanobikes.com/

It seems like a decent way to get started on an entry level road bike. I would be scared of the wheels since I've never heard of them and that spoke pattern just looks troublesome on a no name wheelset.
Old 08-31-06, 01:14 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A bike similar in quality to a $150 Wal-Mart bike, but selling for $350?

For $350, you can get a 1990ish road bike with a pro quality frame and fork, pro quality wheels, and Ultega 600 drivetrain. Or, $350 will be a some cheap junk that will provide three or four months of headaches before its owner parks it in the back of the garage forever.
Old 08-31-06, 04:38 PM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
Looked at the weeb page, did not see anything special. Just a cheap AL frame with low end components. nad One size fits all!
Old 08-31-06, 05:25 PM
larue

Bikes: Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why does it have a Specialized crank?
Old 08-31-06, 05:40 PM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MSRP: $695. Someone cue the BikesDirect haters.

The graphics actually look good (and you can never go wrong with a black bike), but it doesn't look like a better value than one of these: https://cgi.ebay.com/2006-NEW-ROAD-RA...QQcmdZViewItem

It's kind of funny that their wheel decals try to look like Ksyriums, too.

Awesome user name, BTW.
Old 08-31-06, 05:52 PM
larue

Bikes: Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't even notice it has downtube shifters. Sweet technology!
Old 08-31-06, 05:57 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Someone posted that in the local craigslist and I was tempted to include it in the Numbskull of the Day thread.

Uh, yeah. New 2006 model with downtube shifters and 6, count 'em, 6 whole cogs in back!
Old 08-31-06, 10:04 PM
vinnydelnegro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
MSRP: $695. Someone cue the BikesDirect haters.

The graphics actually look good (and you can never go wrong with a black bike), but it doesn't look like a better value than one of these: https://cgi.ebay.com/2006-NEW-ROAD-RA...QQcmdZViewItem

It's kind of funny that their wheel decals try to look like Ksyriums, too.

Awesome user name, BTW.
its' not a black bike my friend. it's matte black and while the msrp is $695, their price is $349. However, you are correct about one thing...it isn't as good a deal as that motobecane mirage for $247. but admit it...the mirage ain't as pretty. admit it!

EDIT: Thanks for the vinny props..heck of player, but such an unfortunate haircut.
Old 08-31-06, 10:19 PM
manutd
Treble Member

Bikes: '07 Cervelo P2C, '12 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert, 2011 Specialized TriCross Comp.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No way the MSRP is $695. Good luck with this bike! Better off putting your money in the fire on a cold rainy night, at least it'd warm you up!
Old 09-01-06, 06:22 AM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alanbikehouston
Just a guess on your part and a poor one. The Wal Mart bike wouldn't have a derailleur hanger or skewer for the wheels. This isn't a Wal Mart bike. It may be a poor one but not that poor.
Old 09-01-06, 08:25 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnydelnegro
its' not a black bike my friend. it's matte black and while the msrp is $695, their price is $349. However, you are correct about one thing...it isn't as good a deal as that motobecane mirage for $247. but admit it...the mirage ain't as pretty. admit it!

EDIT: Thanks for the vinny props..heck of player, but such an unfortunate haircut.
I know the MSRP is $695 and the price is $349. Thing is, you're never really going to find it selling anywhere for $695, just like you'll never find the BikesDirect bikes selling anywhere for their MSRP. Some people get really bent out of shape about that and flame BD for it, but personally I don't see the big deal.

And I do admit that the Mirage isn't as pretty as the Vilano. In fact, if you took away the downtube shifters and put some good components on there, a lot of high end bikes aren't even as pretty as the Vilano. Something about a black frame with one simple graphic on it is very nice.
Old 09-01-06, 01:07 PM
godspiral

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would take the dinali over this one at the same price. More gears, better shifters, and as I understand it, 3 lbs lighter (not sure on the wieght).
Old 06-05-10, 09:40 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vilano Bikes

For $350, you can get a 1990ish road bike with a pro quality frame and fork, pro quality wheels, and Ultega 600 drivetrain. Or, $350 will be a some cheap junk that will provide three or four months of headaches before its owner parks it in the back of the garage forever.
I'm evaluating the track version, from the pictures, the only thing I can really find that has me sitting on the fence is the front fork. It reminds me a lot of a late 1990's mountain bike fork without the shock suspension system. Yeah, when I compare it to a high end velodrome track only bike, the tolerances aren't quite there. But I also temper that judgment based on the components on the Vilano as design with a flip flop rear wheel/hub that it's designed to be a street courier fixed gear bike that is more of an entry level track bike on the velodrome. That's another thing, I live 15 miles from one of 3 velodromes in the SE USA (an outdoor velodrome @ Brian Piccolo Park in Broward County). So I have the luxury of that, but in reality, the Vilano would actually see more road time than velodrome time. That's where the freewheel single speed will get it around in traffic.

The road bike version, some have to remember, this bike is sold in St Augustine, FL. It's flat there, a triple crank and 7 speed cassette in FL and you'd seriously have to justify the triple crank even. I've still got an old Fuji 12 speed and the only thing it's missing is the 12T. The 6 speed cassette goes from 30-14, heck I could take the 30T off and replace it with a 12T.

But back to the Vilano, if I decide to buy the track bike, It's the best value of the bikes I've researched without breaking the bank. A friend just had his bike stolen, $ 600+ for that one, a $ 250-350 Vilano getting stolen will infuriate the owner, I can't imagine anyone having a bike worth double that and beyond to what a used car would run ? Take care of any of these bikes and the Wal-Mart bike lasts as long as the higher end bikes. They all need adjustments and maintenance.
Old 06-06-10, 10:25 AM
giantdefy
The "Mechanic"

Bikes: 2013 Tarmac SL4 Pro; 2011 Lynskey Cooper, 2015 BH Quartz Disc, 2014 Yeti SB75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24.2 lbs for a $269 bike? I wonder what does the bike weigh on a working scale?
Old 06-06-10, 12:24 PM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
24,2 lbs, it's an aluminum frame, not inconceivable that it would come in about that (smallest frame). Pretty common low end components, but Shimano just the same.
Old 07-15-19, 02:36 PM
donthomasino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just get a bike and ride

Agree with guy that has an old Huffy. I have one also that I purchased in 1985. Just keep it tuned up and lubed and it will run forever. Yes, it's heavy and it's called a Huffy but so what. There's nothing that a guy at a bike shop can do that you can't do unless you happen to be a latte drinking, beanie wearing hipster and the fact that you're considering a low cost bike tells me you are not. Bikes are simple machines and you're correct that learning to fix it yourself is half the fun and a useful skill. I recently replaced a cable on my bike that had rusted and I had to put a new rear wheel on it years ago. It sits outside at my oceanfront house on coastal NC in the salt air and has a few pitted areas but for the most part it is rust free. I've had costly bikes and they're like the cigars I smoke - the difference between a $5 cigar and $15 cigar is $10, that's it. Don't let bike snobs discourage you. Old crap off of ebay is just old crap off ebay. Go ahead and buy that Vilano and start riding. I look at these forums where people wax poetic over downtube shifters and remember my cheap bike I road in junior high had them. Spend your money on something where buying the more expensive product does actually make a huge difference like a car or a house. I'm not saying Cannondales and other high end bikes aren't better. I'm just saying they're not worth the extreme difference in price from a Vilano. If I upset anyone that wants to feel validated because they purchased a $900 bike and are not mechanical enough to use a socket wrench set I apologize. BTW, the most expensive bikes on ebay are vintage Columbias (the first US bike company). They sell for a lot of money but back in the day they were considered cheap and sold by Sears and JC Penney. I had a Columbia with downtube shifter for 20 years and no problems until it was stolen and probably sold on ebay.
Old 07-15-19, 02:44 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
MSRP on these is just a number they use to make the actual price %x "below retail!!!"
Old 07-15-19, 02:47 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

Or, $350 will be a some cheap junk that will provide three or four months of headaches before its owner parks it in the back of the garage forever.
Then lists it for sale on CL.
Old 07-15-19, 07:16 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Then lists it for sale on CL.
...using the MSRP number to make the asking price sound better.
Old 07-16-19, 08:05 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by donthomasino
Agree with guy that has an old Huffy. I have one also that I purchased in 1985. Just keep it tuned up and lubed and it will run forever. Yes, it's heavy and it's called a Huffy but so what. There's nothing that a guy at a bike shop can do that you can't do unless you happen to be a latte drinking, beanie wearing hipster and the fact that you're considering a low cost bike tells me you are not. Bikes are simple machines and you're correct that learning to fix it yourself is half the fun and a useful skill. I recently replaced a cable on my bike that had rusted and I had to put a new rear wheel on it years ago. It sits outside at my oceanfront house on coastal NC in the salt air and has a few pitted areas but for the most part it is rust free. I've had costly bikes and they're like the cigars I smoke - the difference between a $5 cigar and $15 cigar is $10, that's it. Don't let bike snobs discourage you. Old crap off of ebay is just old crap off ebay. Go ahead and buy that Vilano and start riding. I look at these forums where people wax poetic over downtube shifters and remember my cheap bike I road in junior high had them. Spend your money on something where buying the more expensive product does actually make a huge difference like a car or a house. I'm not saying Cannondales and other high end bikes aren't better. I'm just saying they're not worth the extreme difference in price from a Vilano. If I upset anyone that wants to feel validated because they purchased a $900 bike and are not mechanical enough to use a socket wrench set I apologize. BTW, the most expensive bikes on ebay are vintage Columbias (the first US bike company). They sell for a lot of money but back in the day they were considered cheap and sold by Sears and JC Penney. I had a Columbia with downtube shifter for 20 years and no problems until it was stolen and probably sold on ebay.
You felt so obligated to type this as a response to a decade old thread that you went thru the process of creating an account here? You think the other person is still on the fence and your advice will finally sway them to buy the bike?

A Columbia bike is useless in this situation- what you need to make your post helpful is this-
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-16-19, 11:37 AM
donthomasino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just ride

The thread is still up so the age of it is really irrelevant. Not that I owe an explanation but my post was more about just getting a bike and start riding. I didn't post expecting anyone to purchase a Vilano or Columbia bike. Telling someone like me that just wants to ride recreationally they need an expensive bike is discouraging. I would think you would want to encourage people to bike. I'm predominantly a runner who logs about 18 miles per week. I then ride my bike another 40 miles because it helps my lower back. The original thread attracted my attention because it mentioned Vilano which is a bike I have been considering. I didn't join the forum just to post a response. I joined the forum to learn more about biking. All I've learned so far is that there is not much education about biking occurring here. I probably made a mistake joining. Thankfully all you need in running is a pair of shoes (or not).
Old 07-17-19, 09:05 AM
runnergoneridin

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Before spending between $250-300 on a new Vilano bike, spend the same exact cash on a used higher-end bike that you'll be happier with. Check craigslist and facebook marketplace for deals.

If it's a Vilano you're actually after, you can get those used for under $100. I have a Vilano that I got for $25.

You have a lot of potential in the used bike market with $250-300 to spend. Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-19, 02:22 PM
donthomasino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@runnergoneridin

Great suggestions. Thank you!
Old 07-17-19, 04:35 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please