Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

L. A. Sherriff's Medici bicycle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

L. A. Sherriff's Medici bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-19, 03:24 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
A relinking of the photo above, just to jump in and say that this very morning on the Santa Ana River Trail, right next to Martha McLean/Anza Narrows park, I saw an older gentleman wearing that exact Giro helmet. And I was like... whoa. Twenty eight years old.

Old 08-24-19, 04:46 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 950 Times in 329 Posts
I think it was around 1992-93 or so that I used to go do training rides with the L.A. Sheriffs cycling team in the Chino/Fontana area back when there were still dairy cows out there. They had a amateur cycling team and a co-worker of mine was on it. I used to come along on their Training rides which were pretty intense and easily over 70 miles at times.

I was working alot of hours at work so I had to pass on joining the amateur team as I knew I didnt have the free time to log in the miles needed to be competitive. I had the Yellow and Green team Jersey which everyone that rode on those rides used to wear,and I do remember the Medici bikes being used but they were not the black and white version.
Old 08-24-19, 07:18 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Manny66
I think it was around 1992-93 or so that I used to go do training rides with the L.A. Sheriffs cycling team in the Chino/Fontana area back when there were still dairy cows out there. They had a amateur cycling team and a co-worker of mine was on it. I used to come along on their Training rides which were pretty intense and easily over 70 miles at times.

I was working alot of hours at work so I had to pass on joining the amateur team as I knew I didnt have the free time to log in the miles needed to be competitive. I had the Yellow and Green team Jersey which everyone that rode on those rides used to wear,and I do remember the Medici bikes being used but they were not the black and white version.
Green with yellow accents and details, perhaps? I've seen pics of those here and on the interwebnets. Its also mentioned above, pretty bikes, my Pro Strada is the deep green with yellow details and logos/decals.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-24-19, 07:58 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Green with yellow accents and details, perhaps? I've seen pics of those here and on the interwebnets. Its also mentioned above, pretty bikes, my Pro Strada is the deep green with yellow details and logos/decals.

Bill

Here's one but they didn't ride that kinda money good.

Medici LA Sheriff's Team Pro Strada Rare 56 x 57cm Made by Mike Howard in SoCal | eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Medici-LA-S...AAAOSw~X1bkWwE
Old 08-25-19, 04:29 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Here's one but they didn't ride that kinda money good.

Medici LA Sheriff's Team Pro Strada Rare 56 x 57cm Made by Mike Howard in SoCal | eBay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Medici-LA-S...AAAOSw~X1bkWwE
Way too optimistic on that price, doubt they will get near that much for the frame set. Mine is an 80, as best can be determined, its a nice riding bike, very criterium oriented geometry though. I don't think that its history, or the LACSD livery rates that level of pricing. And that is not a slight on either, just what I have observed watching these bikes since receiving my frame set.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-26-19 at 04:33 PM.
Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 08-25-19, 05:17 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Way too optimistic on that price, doubt they will get near that much for the frame set. Mine os an 80, as best can be determined, its a nice riding bike, very criterium oriented geometry though. I don't think that its history, or the LACSD livery rates that level of pricing. And that is not a slight on either, just what I have observed watching these bikes since receiving my frame set.

Bill
On the current ebay offering, I don't like the lugs, nor the fork crown or the bottom bracket shell for that matter.
Tossing the price, something is... curious.
Old 08-26-19, 06:07 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by repechage
On the current ebay offering, I don't like the lugs, nor the fork crown or the bottom bracket shell for that matter.
Tossing the price, something is... curious.
Took a closer look after your reply, that is older than a 90 model. It has the top tube cable guides and those are the same lugs my 80 Pro Strada has. I'd look for signs of a respray and newer decals.

Bill

Old 08-26-19, 06:35 AM
repechage

Under the paint could well be a Univega Super Strada frame set.
there is one on eBay right now.
Old 08-26-19, 06:42 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by repechage
Under the paint could well be a Univega Super Strada frame set.
there is one on eBay right now.
Hmm, curiouser and curiouser with this one. I'm at the office right now, when I get home I am going to look at the details and compare things with mine. That pump peg doesn't seem right now that you, pointed somethings out @repechage. Time to visit the Medici drama websites once again, and dig out my copies of the old CR discussions.

Bill

Old 08-26-19, 07:14 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Those diamond cuts out on the lugs do not match what I see in the various Medici catalogs, on the internet. Unless they were something unique for 1990, or perhaps the LACSD Team, this one does not add up to me. My '80 has heart shaped cut outs on its luck work, and that fork crown doesn't look right either now that I have gotten a closer look at it too.

I was going to look at some the Bulgier catalogues, but I cannot get Mark's site to load for some reason. All I can offer up at this point.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-26-19 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 07:42 AM
repechage

The introduction Medici brochure showed lugs and even an M cut out GF bottom bracket (note the M in Medici is darn close to the M in Masi) that could have been liberated from Masi.
Soon, the investment cast lugs would arrive, the cutouts were done post casting, from the distance they look like what Mario had drawn up for lugs, but the translation to tooling was not of high fidelity.
For a long time, the Medici "shield" was the cutout on those lugs.
I have seen a few bikes did not get cutouts.

The diamond was an Italvega then Univega thing.
The fork crown on the yellow/green frame set is not an IC cast piece, it matches the ebay Univega Super Strada almost perfectly save the chrome.
Note the spigots on the bottom bracket- a bulged formed unit. I bet this frame has English threading.
In the lugged era, Medici used Italian threads.
Old 08-26-19, 07:47 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Agreed across the board, @repechage, mine is Italian threaded. I don't believe this is a Medici at all. I'm going to check the listed serial number against Skip's spread sheet of Medici numbers in a short bit here.

I had forgotten that the lug cut outs were the Medici shield, and mine lacks the M cut out in the bottom bracket shell that you mentioned above, Edited: oops, meant to say "Lacked", got in a hurry.

The listing linked at eBay does state it has English threading.

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-26-19 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-03-23, 10:49 AM
rgbspoke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,

New to the forum. Apologies for resurrecting this thread! I just got the Medici frame from the LA Sheriff's team from my unlce-in-law. It's been hanging in his shop for decades problably. I've always had my eye on it and now that I finally got it, cleaned it, and measured it, it's absolutely too massive for my short legs. It's a shame because I had a whole plan to build this up. Wanted to share some pics as I did some research on this frame but since I'm new I need to post 10x first. My goal is to see if there's anyone out there that maybe would want to trade for something smaller in the 51/52cm range.

Would love for someone to build this up and use it. Otherwise it will be a nice piece of wall art for me.

Frame is about 60cm ST. Can send the pictures via email if someone with more forum rights wants to post them here.

Cheers!