Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How far to the grocery store?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How far to the grocery store?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-14, 08:25 PM
KDC19561954

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy 2013

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 miles to the grocery store.But I have a Surly Big Dummy bicycle it can carry 200 pounds + a 200 pound person I'm way short of 200 pounds here lol

Last edited by KDC19561954; 10-04-14 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-03-14, 08:41 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
According to Google, the closest (and cheapest) grocery store is 0.3 miles away.

Side note: since I started to walk/bike there, I'm shopping there almost daily. I've found that even though I'm spending money nearly every day, the monthly outlay has actually gone down .
Old 10-03-14, 09:56 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
It depends on what I need and how fast I need it. The closest market is 2 blocks away, an even larger supermarket is 1 mile away, and the big box bulk food store is 4 miles away.
Old 10-04-14, 02:27 PM
tclune

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
2.5 miles, but it shares a parking lot with where I work. So I usually just shop on my way home -- it doesn't add any cycling distance to my normal day.
Old 10-07-14, 04:42 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,406 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Did anybody notice that everybody here says how many miles (or kilometers) they are from the store? OTOH, motorists will say "I live 10 minutes from Kroger" but they have no idea how many miles that actually is.

What does this mean?
It means that when one isn't turning pedals, it's about time because distance is meaningless. Since for us, distance is the defining factor for most trips, that's what we think about. Most of us also have a decent idea of how distance and time relate.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-07-14, 04:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,406 Posts
I have a decent assortment of stores as close as 1/2 mile, bit mostly in the 2 mile or so range. I try to do most errands on the way home from work, so I end up shopping almost daily, shopping is small loads (small messenger bag full is above average).

The exception is Costco, which is 8 miles away. I go every few weeks for my usual messenger bag load, bit once in a while I do the "big run". I ride one way, stock up big on bulky items, including cat litter, and buy a trunkfull total. I then call a cab and he hauls it around for a while taking other fares until he has time for a run to my house to dump the load after I've had time to get there. I use the same method to send the cat to the vet, and do some other errands for which the bike isn't well suited.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-07-14, 04:49 PM
Maxillius

Bikes: 2014 Genesis GS29 (Yellow Fork)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5 mi to WalMart, 4 1/4 to the locally-owned store (that everyone has to drive past to get to WalMart from the North and East of town), and 4 to Save-On (a bit bigger than a convenience store but much smaller than a full grocer). If I went car-free I'm sure I'd shop at Save-On to avoid the busy intersection and train tracks.
Old 10-07-14, 07:18 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
To be honest, I do 99% of my grocery store shopping across the street at a Shoprite supermarket. There's a Walmart and a Stop & Shop within 2 miles form where I live.

However, I have many more options using public transit and my bicycle.

1. Lightrail ---- Gives me access to four supermarkets, shopping center and mall. (Providing I take my bike)
2. Bus ------ Give me access to 3 more supermarkets if I put my bike on the rack

You know who ends up taking alot of money lately? Amazon. Go figure.
Old 10-07-14, 10:09 PM
jwarner
Fahrradfahrer

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I break up my shopping between a lot of different places, and am kind of particular about what I eat and who I get it from. I try to avoid big box stores as much as possible, just because I would rather support the locals, and tend to get nicer products. I tend to spread my shopping out through the week, picking up a little bit each day after work, or during my lunch period.

Bakery: 8 or 12 miles. Staples, dairy, bread, veggies and some meats/fish: 10 or 12 miles. Specialty wurst/german food shop: 10 miles. Beer/cider/spirits: 9 miles. 15 miles to for my monthly wine club bottles (2), but I tend to combine that with dinner as they have a great restaurant. They are also downtown, so I sort of make a day of it, and try meet with friends to catch a play or hit the museum or something.

There are a couple of places closer, but these are the places I like to use. Most are close to my work, so I just grab a few things every day. The further bakery has great pastry, so this is a common weekend morning ride for me. It is also next to a grocery that I like to use, and near downtown, so I pick up a few things before I ride home, and spend some time enjoying the city, or along the nearby coastal trail.

I will also hit Costco about 3 times a year for things like laundry detergent and bulk specialty cheese/meat. This is about 7 miles away. My record weighed haul in an old Timbuk2 XXL messenger = 58 lbs from Costco. I know it is a big box store, which contradicts what I wrote above, but I don't really see things as black and white. It is a compromise I make for economy's sake.

I do own a truck to support stuff like skiing and kayaking trips that wouldn't be practical otherwise. I also use the truck to get dog food. Hauling dog food can be a disaster on the bike, and since I need to buy a 40lb bag once a month, it reminds me to start the truck and run it around on what I consider to be a reasonable schedule when it isn't otherwise being used (which is rare).
Old 10-08-14, 06:05 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
To be honest, I do 99% of my grocery store shopping across the street at a Shoprite supermarket. There's a Walmart and a Stop & Shop within 2 miles form where I live.

However, I have many more options using public transit and my bicycle.

1. Lightrail ---- Gives me access to four supermarkets, shopping center and mall. (Providing I take my bike)
2. Bus ------ Give me access to 3 more supermarkets if I put my bike on the rack

You know who ends up taking alot of money lately? Amazon. Go figure.
Some of this sounds like me. I do most of my shopping at the supermarket 1/2 mile from the house. There's a Walmart and a Sam's close by... which is good for emergency needs and a couple of specialty grocery places I get to every blue moon.

Unfortunately, most of the shopping I might do at big box stores end up at Amazon or eBay. I make it out to Target once or twice a year.
Old 10-08-14, 06:39 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
For the next few weeks the closest store is going to be 13 miles away.
Old 10-13-14, 04:40 AM
TrekNerd

Bikes: Trek Domane 2.0, Trek 3700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Living in Okinawa,Japan there is at least one grocery within 5km radius. I usually bike about 8-9 km to my grocery store. The farmer's market is great but limited on produce at times. I walk about a 1km to pick up fruit and veggies then I bike to my main grocery store for other items.
Old 10-13-14, 05:44 AM
ezridernc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
< .5 miles to Harris Teeter :-(

3.1 miles to Publix :-)
Old 10-21-16, 02:38 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
And very soon ... either 300 metres or 3 km.
We did make that move, and we have a small grocery store about 300 metres away. We stop in there on the way back from some of our walks to the beach or as a trip in itself.

We will pick up some of our fruit and veg there, and usually something for dinner. They've got a nice little deli. On Thursday evening (yesterday) we did just that ... on the way back from the beach, we stopped in and got a beef and bacon burgers, a mini zucchini quiche each, a large Caesar salad, and delicious orange chocolate brownies. Yum!

We also have grocery stores (several of them) about 3 km away, and today we decided to walk to one we haven't tried yet to check it out ... and to check out possible walking or cycling routes.

The route we took there was quite direct and a little under 3 km, but it wouldn't be ideal for cycling. We wandered around the grocery store, and then dropped in at a bakery for lunch, and wandered about a bit more before heading back along a longer route which might be more conducive for cycling. In total ... a 7.8 km walk!
Old 10-21-16, 03:28 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
About a mile to the nearest grocery store. Ten miles to the nearest store with a decent selection of beer. I usually combine the latter with recreational rides since that store is along the MUP.
Old 10-21-16, 05:56 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
If I didn't stop on my way home from work in the car, it would be about 1.5 miles I think. It would be nothing to go to since I pass through on my way home from a ride anyways, but I drive past it in the car on the way home from work so stop then. I typically don't go to the store just to go to the store. I don't buy much anyways as I have no where to put groceries.
Old 10-21-16, 07:58 PM
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
2.6 miles each way to the Publix supermarket. I usually stop at the Greenacres Farmers Market on the way back, 'cuz their vegetables are priced substantially lower than those at Publix.
Old 10-21-16, 08:35 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bbeasley
For those of you who use a bike for groceries, how far one way?
Today, I travel on foot about 1200 feet to the supermarket.

Back in the 1970's, my parents used to walk (with the whole family) about half a mile to the grocery store. We would take those grandma shopping carriages rain or shine. I miss those days.

If you're carfree, it doesn't mean you can't call a taxi or use UBER.
Old 10-22-16, 09:18 AM
Pobble.808
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
0.75 mi one way to the closest supermarket. There are two more that are almost as close.
Old 10-22-16, 10:00 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
If I didn't stop on my way home from work in the car, it would be about 1.5 miles I think. It would be nothing to go to since I pass through on my way home from a ride anyways, but I drive past it in the car on the way home from work so stop then. I typically don't go to the store just to go to the store. I don't buy much anyways as I have no where to put groceries.
Which brings up an associated topic/question in relationship to shopping, especially food shopping - for how many people are our LCF posters buying and carting the food home? Might make a difference as to how practical a typical bicycle is for such tasks, at least without buying all sorts of trailers, and/or other bulky accessories for a bicycle. Might be hard to find space to put the extra cargo hauling equipment.
Old 10-22-16, 12:58 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The closest place to shop for groceries is about 400 meters from my home. I can see the place from my balcony. It's a small deli/farmers market type of a store. They have very good quality meat, fruit and vegetables plus a lot of other foods which larger grocery stores have...The only problem is that their prices are jacked up and everything is more expensive then anywhere else. But despite higher prices the place is still very busy all year round... I prefer to go a little further and shop at a large chain grocery store where everything is cheaper.
Old 10-22-16, 01:50 PM
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Which brings up an associated topic/question in relationship to shopping, especially food shopping - for how many people are our LCF posters buying and carting the food home? Might make a difference as to how practical a typical bicycle is for such tasks, at least without buying all sorts of trailers, and/or other bulky accessories for a bicycle. Might be hard to find space to put the extra cargo hauling equipment.
I think you've shined a spotlight where it needs to be. In reply, I buy solely for myself.
Old 10-22-16, 03:36 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Funny you should mention that. Although it probably belongs more in the Utility Cycling forum, we are about to experiment with towing a trailer to the supermarket Machka mentioned where we walked to scout out potential routes. A cargo bike is also in the wings.

Stay tuned!

Your point is well taken, though. There are photographs of you and us engaged in various utility biking activities pepper through these forums over the years. But I have NEVER seen pictures or useful, practical advice from several of the antagonistic fundamentalists here. How odd is that, eh?
Old 10-22-16, 03:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

When I was car-free I used a small set of panniers and a backpack. Did 3 grocery runs per week... 3 smaller loads during the week instead of just one big load once per week...It's actually easier to do grocery shopping on bike then using public transit. Carrying a bunch of heavy and bulky bags to/from a bus stop and then riding on a crowded bus is not fun.
Old 10-22-16, 04:00 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Rowan

But I have NEVER seen pictures or useful, practical advice from several of the antagonistic fundamentalists here. How odd is that, eh?

I've used icepacks in my bags during hot weather when carrying fresh meat from a grocery store. How is that for a useful practical advice ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.