Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

wind is the worst

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

wind is the worst

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-13, 10:31 PM
mtalinm

Bikes: 2009 Trek Soho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wind is the worst

Rain can be handled with fenders + clothing.

Studded tires take care of ice.

Lights work at night.

But there is no cure for wind. "Crouching in the drops" only sorta-kinda helps. Yuck - 40-50mph the whole 13 miles home, took an extra 20 minutes and felt like I'd gained 50 pounds.
Old 01-30-13, 10:36 PM
koolerb

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I did a quick (or not so quick) lunch time ride today, about 15 miles. The entire uphill leg was directly into 30 mph wind. Good friggen workout anyway.
Old 01-30-13, 11:37 PM
dvald001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find that the best way to deal with a hard wind is to put your head down, grit your teeth, and keep pedaling until you look up 20 minutes later and find yourself in the same friggin' spot.
Old 01-30-13, 11:58 PM
phulin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the flip side, I just took a late-night ride out to the harbor and it was friggin' awesome. The view of Boston was amazing, and when you had the wind at your back you just kept upshifting and the pedaling never felt any harder.

Of course, coming home today over the Harvard Bridge was absolutely awful. Terrible cross-wind. Maybe it's my mindset, but I'm way more enthusiastic about inclement weather when it's my choice...
Old 01-31-13, 12:19 AM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree, wind is the worst. I can deal with most other weather elements, but high sustained winds are brutal.

I find that the wind effect is even multiplied further if you are pushing winter studded tires. It feels like you are riding with one of the brakes rubbing.
Old 01-31-13, 02:14 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Wind is the best. I am happy when it is not blowing in my face and VERY happy when it is blowing at my back. I LOVE the wind. On those occasions when it happens to be blowing in my face i pretend to be climbing a mountain and think of the happy ride back, with the wind at my back.
Old 01-31-13, 02:44 AM
henkie327

Bikes: Metabikes Metaphrastic Rival

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday had strong gusty winds on my commute. Rain and wind in the back going to work had me flying. But I had to fight the same strong winds on the return leg that completely drained me. I was on autopilot and just tried to keep a steady cadence shifting down and down and down as needed. Luckily it was a sunny afternoon and boy was I glad when I finally got home. Usually it takes me less than an hour to cover the distance, but this time it took me a little over an hour and a half.
Old 01-31-13, 05:55 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What's all this stuff about drops and shifting?

And why has nobody mentioned headwinds so strong that you have to stand up to pedal while going down a hill?

The worst is strong, gusting crosswinds, especially if you have to ride in traffic. My advice in that situation is to take the lane so you have room to be buffeted side to side while not suddenly swerving into the path of a motorized vehicle.
Old 01-31-13, 07:25 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Headwind allows you to work on or fine tune your arerodynamic position. Tailwind gives a wonderful sensation when you are flying at 20+ mph but it is absolutely quiet, except for the sound of the tires and drivetrain.
Old 01-31-13, 08:49 AM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like headwinds. My bicycle will never be finely tuned for an aerodynamic position due to its upright riding position.
Old 01-31-13, 08:59 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
as a daily commuter along lake michigan's windy-ass shore, i freaking hate wind.

the thing that bothers me most about savage headwinds is that they don't stop. at least with a hill climb you can push to get to the top because you know the reward waiting for you on the other side, but with wind, it just keeps blowing and blowing right in your face.

and to double your pleasure, how about strong winds and skyscraper canyons? that's always an "interesting" time.
Old 01-31-13, 09:19 AM
CenturionIM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me the best part is stopping and going. When I get tired riding into the headwind, I get off the bike and rest a bit. Then while stopped I think to myself, hey the wind is not so bad, let's give it another try.
Hop on bike, and as soon as I accelerate past the 8-9mph mark the wind is there again. grrr.
Old 01-31-13, 09:41 AM
windhchaser
Banned.

Bikes: Felt nine flow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
im not that bad
Old 01-31-13, 09:51 AM
sternzeit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worst feeling in the world: Downshifting to keep a decent cadence into a 25mph headwind and the shifter goes "thud" because your already in the lowest gear. Cyclocomputer says 9mph and heart rate is 150ish.

Best feeling in the world: Upshifting to the highest gear because I'm bouncing out of the saddle with a 25mph tailwind. Cyclocomputer says 34mph and heart rate is 90ish.
Old 01-31-13, 09:52 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by mtalinm
But there is no cure for wind. "Crouching in the drops" only sorta-kinda helps. Yuck - 40-50mph the whole 13 miles home, took an extra 20 minutes and felt like I'd gained 50 pounds.
I would council that all of you people in the east who don't live where high winds are a regular occurrence be very cautious during high wind events. Here along the Front Range of the Rockies, we get significant wind events all the time. I can even gauge the wind by the sound it makes in the powerlines. However, the winds here have a bit of a Darwinian effect. Anything that isn't nailed down has already blown to Kansas. Any tree that was going to fall over has fallen over and branches that have be blown out of the tree. We get a lot of dirt and dust but very few houses blowing around in 40 mph (sustained) winds with 80 to 100 mph gusts.

But if your trees, houses, cars, little dogs, small women, etc. aren't used to high winds, they could be flying at you. Small dogs and even small women are pretty easy to deal with. A house on the other hand may carry a small Kansas girl with red shoes
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-31-13, 10:03 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No wind is better.
Old 01-31-13, 10:03 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
When it's coming strong from the front, or gusting heavily from the side when you have panniers on, it can truly be said that "Wind Totally Blows!" It's annoying to have such a small ratio of distance gained to effort expended in a strong headwind...

I'm kind of glad I don't live in Colorado now. I'm imagining my feet sticking out from under a house, as a little girl comes out and tells her small dog "Gosh! I don't think we're in Kansas anymore!"

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 01-31-13 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-31-13, 11:24 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
headwind....it happens. Shift gears, go slower, takes longer, you still get there. (Statement applies for wind-speeds up to 30ish mph. Above that, use caution) Also provides excellent excuse to buy a powermeter so you can say "I pulled out 400 watts and smoked this other guy on the commute in" instead of saying "It took me an extra 15 minutes and I only went 9 mph due to the wind, but I did at least pass someone else."
Old 01-31-13, 11:45 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Wind is FRIEND. Make you STRONG LIKE BULL.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-31-13, 11:48 AM
paul2432

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Wind is the best. I am happy when it is not blowing in my face and VERY happy when it is blowing at my back. I LOVE the wind. On those occasions when it happens to be blowing in my face i pretend to be climbing a mountain and think of the happy ride back, with the wind at my back.
Truly strong wind can kill you, or at least make riding impossible. When you need to put your foot down every 30 seconds to keep from being blown over it's time to seek alternate transportation.

Interestingly, I've found a sudden lull in a crosswind can be just as devastating as the wind itself when the counter-balancing force to your lean is suddenly eliminated.
Old 01-31-13, 11:49 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
On those occasions when it happens to be blowing in my face i pretend to be climbing a mountain and think of the happy ride back, with the wind at my back.
It's usually on the ride back that I get the headwinds. I've taken to tacking off the direct headwind direction, riding a few miles out of the way, then riding back across to my neighborhood with a crosswind, and completing with about a mile of wind at my back.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-31-13, 11:52 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday morning I had a big 30-40 kmh tailwind and did my 27.2 kms commute in 1h07 with studded tires
last night the wind didn't change so it took me 1h45 to get back home. F****** wind!
Old 01-31-13, 12:40 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I wouldn't say wind is the worst because I hate riding in pouring rain, lightning, snow and ice. However, wind is the worst weather condition that I frequently ride in. Like others said, wind is worse than hills because at least you get a downhill when climbing. Of course, tailwinds exist in theory but I rarely ever seem to encounter them and crosswinds are almost as bad as headwinds. This morning the wind was howling out of the west, and I had perhaps 2 miles of tailwinds out of my entire 15-mile commute. About 5 miles was directly into the wind, and the rest was crosswinds. I suffered.
Old 01-31-13, 02:57 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Guess it depends - strong steady winds out of the west here this morning. Full garbage cans were being strewn across the roads. I was in low gear, lifting the front wheel off the ground ocassionally - and going nowhere fast! It was kinda fun cause I only had a half dozen blocks to go and the ride back almost didn't require pedalling! But could've been pretty annoying if I actually had to go across town.
Old 01-31-13, 03:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Velomobile ! sitting in a streamlined bubble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.