Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

alkaline diet?

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

alkaline diet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-15, 10:17 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by headloss
More or less sums it up for me as well... everything in moderation, low glycemic index, plenty of fiber, drink water, etc.

Personally, I don't put much weight on buying organic, it's mostly marketing. Those dirty dozen lists aren't actually based on anything, just arbitrary values. Organic crops use pesticides too, just "organic" pesticide instead of synthetic pesticide (all the same to me, pesticide is pesticide). Your money though... the only "true organic" is what you grow yourself or buy local and know the farmer and I absolutely support both of those!
If you don't agree about pesticide-free food, fine. The study was in reference to soil chemistry. Organic farmers don't use commercial fertilizer. That's huge.
Old 01-04-15, 10:29 AM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
If you don't agree about pesticide-free food, fine. The study was in reference to soil chemistry. Organic farmers don't use commercial fertilizer. That's huge.
A valid concern, but the data on nutritional value of organic vs conventional is debatable as well... for me it's more about good farm practice, rotating crops, and the long term potential depletion of land. Both farm types can be good stewards, or poor ones so I try not to generalize. UNCTAD had an interesting report on industrial farming practices in developing countries that has been making waves as of late, mostly for being taken out of context. None the less, a really interesting and enlightening read on economic policy and unintended consequences. unctad.org | Trade and Environment Review 2013

Our agriculture system is incredibly complex and the more I read/learn the more I realize how much I don't know. In fact, one of my New Year's resolutions is to find time to visit a few farms (of various types) this summer and ask questions and learn as much as possible!
Old 01-04-15, 11:10 AM
Tabagas_Ru
`

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So do you think that "the alkaline diet" is just a rebranding of a sensible eating plan? and would following it contribute to overall health?
Old 01-04-15, 01:11 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Tabagas_Ru
So do you think that "the alkaline diet" is just a rebranding of a sensible eating plan? and would following it contribute to overall health?
I think that following any kind of "fad" diet will only lead to eating disorders and health problems down the road.
Old 01-04-15, 03:20 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Depends? My personal thought is that a healthier diet would on its own accord be more "alkaline." That's different than saying an alkaline diet is healthier as a general rule.

Where it becomes nonsense/pseudoscience/whatever is when people start buying litmus strips to measure urine pH and/or believing the diet will prevent/cure cancer (and every other ailment under the sun).

Most of what I see online is faddish alternative health stuff making wild claims about the origin/cause of disease. That's not to say that there aren't real implications, which is evident by the large number of papers that come up with a search of PubMed (mostly in regards to bone health studies).
Old 01-04-15, 04:54 PM
Tabagas_Ru
`

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I think that following any kind of "fad" diet will only lead to eating disorders and health problems down the road.
So is eating whole food, or real food instead of processed food a "fad diet", and is it a fad because someone has renamed it for one of its properties?
Old 01-04-15, 04:57 PM
Tabagas_Ru
`

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by headloss
Depends? My personal thought is that a healthier diet would on its own accord be more "alkaline." That's different than saying an alkaline diet is healthier as a general rule.

Where it becomes nonsense/pseudoscience/whatever is when people start buying litmus strips to measure urine pH and/or believing the diet will prevent/cure cancer (and every other ailment under the sun).

Most of what I see online is faddish alternative health stuff making wild claims about the origin/cause of disease. That's not to say that there aren't real implications, which is evident by the large number of papers that come up with a search of PubMed (mostly in regards to bone health studies).

Is it our consumerism that gets us to look for the latest thing even though there is nothing new about it?
Old 01-04-15, 05:10 PM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it our consumerism that gets us to look for the latest thing even though there is nothing new about it?
The latter phenomenon is a lot older than the former.
Old 01-04-15, 05:31 PM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think the reason is quite personal and varies widely from one person to another; I suspect that it's usually looking for answers for some chronic condition (most likely caused by dietary and life choices, but who knows). I only call it a fad because popular websites play a role in spreading such diets, as does social media. I've seen a lot of "alkaline diet" posts as of late, for whatever reason; it's definitely trending right now.
Old 01-04-15, 06:16 PM
wolfchild
Banned

So is eating whole food, or real food instead of processed food a "fad diet"?
It can become a "fad diet" when taken to an extreme...And there is nothing wrong with eating a little bit of junk food, as long as the person is physically active and following a well balanced diet of mostly whole foods. Junk food can make great fuel during times of intense physical activity.
Old 01-04-15, 07:37 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
was in NY for Xmas and a nephew told me about Tom Brady's alkaline diet where he avoids things like beer wine & coffee. anyone ever hear of that? anyone try such a "clean" diet?
It's not a bad idea to cut out the beer and wine, especially if you're trying to lose weight. They are unnecessary calories. Same with coffee, if you have it full of sugar and cream.

But I wouldn't call that an alkaline diet ... I'd just call it looking for easy ways to cut calories.
Old 01-04-15, 07:54 PM
Gyrine

Bikes: Pinarello ROKH, Raleigh POS

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please kill this thread.
Old 01-05-15, 08:43 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyrine
Please kill this thread.
My vote is for dumping a lot of lye on it. That's alkaline.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-05-15, 09:42 AM
achoo

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Doesn't look so healthy to me.

Old 01-09-15, 07:55 PM
langedp

Bikes: No name carbon frame w/full Campy Record components

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the more science based works on this topic is in a book called "Molecular Fitness" from Darrell L. Tanelian, M.D., Ph.D from Stanford. In it he describes it's not about whether the food itself is acid or alkaline. It's about whether the digestion of that food makes your system acidic or alkaline. Many of the later articles I think have confused his research with the acid/alkaline balance of the food itself and then they go on to tell you that acidic food won't make your system acidic. Very true but irrelevant since that's not what his research said. It's a very interesting book with voluminous references. You can decide for yourself if you believe his research and yes, eating lots of fruits and vegetables is a good thing.
Old 01-10-15, 03:22 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
I was interested to read that even though a healthy body can self adjust, watching your diet can releive the stress of those processes having to work so hard.
How does the body "self adjust" and how does diet "relieve the stress"?
You breathe more. That's about it. Ok, there are about 4 different acidity correcting systems withing the body (that's how important it is for the body to keep a constant PH level) but breathing is one of the most influential. Kidneys do a lot as well but the system is a circulatory so one doesn't really need to worry about stressing it too much since for a normal person it isn't really physically feasible to overload all of the 4 systems working together. I mean people do well on a ketogenic diet and that should be really overloading it, but nope, it isn't.

I'm probably one of the few here who has experienced a lifethreatening acidosis. It's always lifethreatening since it develops so rapidly if it comes to that and my symptoms were heavy breathing, kinda like i was starving for oxygen all the time. And that breathing kept the insulin deficiency induced ketoacidosis in check for weeks. OK, few more days and I probably would have died but whatever.

My point is, the body is completely capable of handling and maintaining a steady PH without damaging itself in any way. If it wasn't all humans would have died at first sing of a food deficiency (kinda like cats do)
Old 01-10-15, 03:23 AM
elcruxio

I was interested to read that even though a healthy body can self adjust, watching your diet can releive the stress of those processes having to work so hard.
Originally Posted by langedp
One of the more science based works on this topic is in a book called "Molecular Fitness" from Darrell L. Tanelian, M.D., Ph.D from Stanford. In it he describes it's not about whether the food itself is acid or alkaline. It's about whether the digestion of that food makes your system acidic or alkaline. Many of the later articles I think have confused his research with the acid/alkaline balance of the food itself and then they go on to tell you that acidic food won't make your system acidic. Very true but irrelevant since that's not what his research said. It's a very interesting book with voluminous references. You can decide for yourself if you believe his research and yes, eating lots of fruits and vegetables is a good thing.
But eating lots of fruit and veggies being good isn't tied to acid/alkaline diets.
Old 01-10-15, 03:26 AM
elcruxio

That's shifting the goalposts.

If we are talking about acid/alkaline then whole foods etc has NOTHING to do with it. None. It's about the properties of foods supposedly causing a acid/alkaline reaction in the body.

Eating whole foods and all that very overrated jazz is a whole another topic.
Old 01-10-15, 04:52 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
It can become a "fad diet" when taken to an extreme...And there is nothing wrong with eating a little bit of junk food, as long as the person is physically active and following a well balanced diet of mostly whole foods. Junk food can make great fuel during times of intense physical activity.
So eating junk food is OK?
... If it was OK, they wouldn't call it junk food!

OK, it may not kill you outright, but while it will not promote good health it will promote poor health.
... And no, you cannot 'burn it off', too many marathon runners with heart attacks thought they could. You can't. Exercise has many benefits. But burning off junk food ain't one of them.
Old 01-10-15, 08:22 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
the foods you're supposed to eat on the alkaline diet are good for you (anyway)

Alkaline Diet Plan Review: Does It Work?
Old 01-10-15, 09:35 AM
Wesley36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Eating whole foods and all that very overrated jazz is a whole another topic.
Hilarious. In the field of nutrition science there is lively debate about a whole series of things, but the whole eating whole foods thing seems to be one of the rare points of consensus.

And for those who subscribe to acid/alkaline diets, eating lots of fruits and vegetables is the single best way to boost alkalinity.

A bit of perspective from Matt Fitzgerald (or Racing Weight fame):
Seven Diets for Seven Health Objectives? | Racing Weight Blog

On closer inspection it appears that the authors of all of the above-mentioned books recommend eating lots of vegetables and not a lot of sweets and other junk foods. Indeed, I’m tempted to conclude that just one broadly defined healthy diet will allow me to achieve all of my health objectives! (Agnostic healthy eating, anyone?) Okay, I’ve removed my tongue from my cheek. The point of the forgoing exercise, as you may have guessed, was to highlight the absurdity of eating for single, specific objectives. The body is an integrated whole. A person has only one diet, and it affects every dimension of health simultaneously. What’s more, precisely because the body is an integrated whole, any food type that enhances one dimension of health is likely to enhance others and is unlikely to have a negative impact on any.
Take whole grains, for example. Consumption of whole grains has been shown to favorably impact gut health and to reduce insulin resistance and systemic inflammation as well as the risk for several cancer types and heart disease. Vegetables and fruits likewise boost all dimensions of human health while nuts and seeds have a wide range of healthful effects and no negative effects. Fish too has a handful of beneficial health effects and (mercury contamination not withstanding) no negative effects. So whichever dimension of overall health is most important to you, you should eat whole grains, vegetables, fruit, nuts and seeds, and probably fish as well.
Old 01-10-15, 10:28 AM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley36
Hilarious. In the field of nutrition science there is lively debate about a whole series of things, but the whole eating whole foods thing seems to be one of the rare points of consensus.

And for those who subscribe to acid/alkaline diets, eating lots of fruits and vegetables is the single best way to boost alkalinity.
I'm not sure what you mean by "whole foods" or if the two of you even mean the same thing... kind of vague.

"boost alkalinity" would take something like 18 lbs of oranges for a marginal change not much different than the fluctuations your body goes through anyways... and it wouldn't even last very long. I hope you like oranges.
Old 01-10-15, 12:38 PM
langedp

Bikes: No name carbon frame w/full Campy Record components

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
But eating lots of fruit and veggies being good isn't tied to acid/alkaline diets.
Based on the Molecular Fitness research, yes it is. Not sure what the current acid/alkaline diet fads have to say since I don't follow those. But in Dr. Tanelian's research, the body's reaction to foods causes an acidic or alkaline response regardless of whether the food itself is acid or alkaline. This response in turn has a significant impact on the connexin molecule which is what most of his book is about. Foods that cause an alkaline reaction, like fruits & vegetables, can offset or buffer foods that cause an acidic reaction like meats and proteins.
Old 01-10-15, 12:57 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyrine
Please kill this thread.
It's all about portion control--portion control--portion control. This thread has exceeded my daily portion.
Old 01-10-15, 02:26 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
It's all about portion control--portion control--portion control. This thread has exceeded my daily portion.
Don't worry about portion control. Hard riding cyclist need all those extra calories.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.