Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Buffalo I miss you!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-18, 07:21 PM
Gurge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buffalo I miss you!

Are you still amazing to ride bikes in? I hear you're growing again but I hope that growth remembered that bike trails and bike friendly...everything but drivers. Are Sunday midnight rides still a thing. Are there still secret houses where freak bikes are built? It the tripple tall tandem still around? I hope to see your horribly paved roads soon. Untill then, Gotham.
Old 04-25-18, 07:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Gotham? I thought you lived in Columbus, GA.
Old 04-26-18, 01:29 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I went to SUNY Buffalo in the 70s and it was a horrible place to ride. I'm sure things change.
Old 04-26-18, 05:55 PM
Gurge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Gotham? I thought you lived in Columbus, GA.
I do now. But Buffalo was where I started riding bikes again as an adult. I mean the Sunday midnight rides are some of my best memories. And a house I lived in would build freak bikes and also help anyone who needed help with their bikes. It wasn't in the best area but we never got messed with because everyone knew we helped people. And the actual gang members that hung out down the block didnt because their younger siblings all got their bikes from us.
And Gotham was based on Buffalo (look at the architecture) and Metropolis is based on NYC. That way Batman and Superman clould be in different cities but feasibly interact without being too far away.
Old 04-26-18, 06:00 PM
Gurge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I went to SUNY Buffalo in the 70s and it was a horrible place to ride. I'm sure things change.
It wasn't that the roads were nice. Because they're horrible. Or that the drivers are nice. Because I was intentionally hit there. But that there were so many bike centric activities and bike history and...I also probably just miss my early 20s.
Old 04-27-18, 08:23 PM
zacster

One thing I do remember is that I was riding in Delaware Park and this big guy came riding by. It was OJ. "If the glove don't fit, you must acquit."

A few years later I was living in Seattle and there was this big guy at work that I rode with. He was a former linebacker for the Falcons. And the thing was that he thought I was really strong and fast. I'm 5'7" and weighed maybe 130 pounds at the time and was a total wimp. But I beat the hell out of him on a bike. Big does not equal fast.
Old 04-29-18, 07:59 AM
Gurge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
a few years later I was living in Seattle and there was this big guy at work that I rode with. He was a former linebacker for the Falcons. And the thing was that he thought I was really strong and fast. I'm 5'7" and weighed maybe 130 pounds at the time and was a total wimp. But I beat the hell out of him on a bike. Big does not equal fast.
I met that guy in Olympia. He was really friendly. At the time I was a travelling street proformer and he would often stop and tip me and then sit and drank a cup of coffee and sometimes smoke with me. (Unless there are multiple former ATL football players living in the area). He would ride from Oly to Seattle and back without a second thought. And do it in less than a day.
Old 04-29-18, 08:19 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
https://gobikebuffalo.org/events/calendar/p:3/r:10/

Today was the Western New York Mountain Bicycling Association Bike Swap (I just realized that I missed it!) @E^)#^~#!!!

There are all kinds of bike related things to do, either in Buffalo or across the border where you can ride the Parkway from Fort Erie to Niagara on the Lake or the Welland Canal route. The City of Buffalo is adding 40 miles of bike routes this year and coming up on May 20th is the Skyride which is the biggest ride of the year. Check out the above Gobike Buffalo link.

Maybe you should have a return visit....
Old 04-30-18, 09:41 AM
Gurge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
https://gobikebuffalo.org/events/calendar/p:3/r:10/

Today was the Western New York Mountain Bicycling Association Bike Swap (I just realized that I missed it!) @E^)#^~#!!!

There are all kinds of bike related things to do, either in Buffalo or across the border where you can ride the Parkway from Fort Erie to Niagara on the Lake or the Welland Canal route. The City of Buffalo is adding 40 miles of bike routes this year and coming up on May 20th is the Skyride which is the biggest ride of the year. Check out the above Gobike Buffalo link.

Maybe you should have a return visit....
I might see you soon then. I'll be in West Buffalo somewhere on Bird.
Old 04-30-18, 12:20 PM
zacster

Originally Posted by Gurge
I met that guy in Olympia. He was really friendly. At the time I was a travelling street proformer and he would often stop and tip me and then sit and drank a cup of coffee and sometimes smoke with me. (Unless there are multiple former ATL football players living in the area). He would ride from Oly to Seattle and back without a second thought. And do it in less than a day.
I don't think it would be the same guy. He didn't ride that much. This was back in '85 or so. I can't remember his name.
Old 04-30-18, 01:50 PM
Gurge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. This would have been in 2012 I think? He was an x ATL football player. I can't remember his name but he had the 96 Superbowl ring and was choosing to live semi-homeless as a religious choice.