Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Cargo

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 01:31 PM
Bryanmaloney

Bikes: Cheap, from WalMart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Cargo

I commuted last summer from 66th St. in Broad Ripple up to my home on 126th St. in Carmel (for anyone in central Indiana), about 8 miles, all gradual incline. Monon trail makes it pretty easy vs. traffic (mostly), but one thing I didn't figure out is how to do my cargo properly. I usually have the following:
1 laptop with docking station and transformer.
1 canvas lunch pail/bag.

I have a cargo rack, but no non ad-hoc way to secure anything. Likewise, sometimes it rains. So, what's recommended to secure and protect this cargo on a commute that I can't skip, regardless of weather or conditions?
Old 08-19-20, 02:18 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
While not the cheapest solution, I use a Sackville under-seat bag from Rivendale (https://www.rivbike.com/collections/bags). I'm not sure how big your docking station is, but I use the Baggabone Sack for laptop, notebook (x2) clothes, lunch, and sometimes other stuff. I'm tall, so I don't need a bag support (rear rack) for the bottom and it just hangs off the saddle loops on my saddle. The bag is rainproof as well. I'm not a big fan of putting things in a backpack or messenger bag, but both of those will work as well.
Old 08-19-20, 05:18 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I commute with backpack on my back rack and put a plastic kitchen trash bag over my backpack in the rain.
Old 08-20-20, 02:06 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Not clear what you’re doing now and what you mean by ad hoc. But:

I carry bungee cords and motorcycle cargo nets with me so I can carry stuff of random size. These are about $10 and last about 2-3 years: https://www.amazon.com/motocicleta-p...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Keeping dry is plastic bag.

All above is ad hoc.

The classic solution is an Ortlieb pannier but they are pricey. I have had Rhino bags for about 6 months and so far so good. https://www.amazon.com/Rhinowalk-Wat...NrPXRydWU&th=1

Rhino pannier.

One would be plenty big for your requirements.

You mention rain but not fenders. My experience (15 years 8 mile one-way) is you will get fenders.

Last edited by flangehead; 08-20-20 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Fenders
Old 08-20-20, 08:45 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I just put the laptop in the back of my velomobile.

I don't think my laptop case will fit on the back of my bike with the current built in panniers. I will have to find my old specialized set and see if it will fit as the velo is going to be down for maintenance for at least a week.
Old 08-20-20, 09:04 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
I also use Ortlieb panniers for my commute. I have one set which is over 25 years old and still holding up great. No tears, holes and still waterproof. And I just bought a second pair for my cargo bike. I paid $85 for a used but almost new pair of Ortlieb backrollers. I can highly recommend them. Check your local classifieds for used ones.
Old 08-20-20, 10:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Ortlieb panniers. The only way water will get in is if you open the panniers out in the rain. You'll want to do some measuring to see what size will carry your load (Backpacker or Sportspacker). I'd guess you'll want the rear Backpacker, but since they come in pairs, you can probably fit shoes, clothes, and a four course lunch in the other side.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 08-20-20, 03:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ortlieb office bag https://www.ortlieb.com/office-bag+F71402