Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Tire Upgrade!

Search
Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Tire Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-24, 04:42 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Tire Upgrade! Schwalbe Jumbo Jim

Finally got around to it!
Old: Chao Yang 26x4.9
New: Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 26x4.8
Mounted on 70mm single wall rims

First off, they are almost EXACTLY the same size (when nominally inflated), so the 4.9 on the Chao is a big load of bull [censored]

The Schwalbe's were also 1 lb lighter (each!), almost exactly. Which was a bit of a surprise, and a nice bonus. I've now accidently shed 4 lb from this bike by accident sooo.... cool?

Installation wasn't that bad. Older Schwalbe Marathons have a reputation for being a challenge to install but the Jims weren't. The beads were seated by pumping to 20 PSI initially (limit 30psi). The Chao's however did NOT want to come off before hand so I got to fight.... tires... this morning.
I won.... no blood.... some dark thoughts tho.

ANYWAY!
The Jims have about half of the knobbies on it and somehow have more traction (hard pack, winter pulverized leaves, no snow, LOTS of roots, moderate difficulty) and most importantly, is a LOT more predictable so I got warning before I lost traction. It was nice.

Turning is way more nimble with almost no self steer. Braking traction is markedly improved (matched with 203mm rotors so braking is INSANE)
Still using 5psi front and 7psi rear.

Speed: I cannot be objective here. Today's ride was not and A/B comparison on the same trail or the same mood. I was faster but I also transferred the week's stress into the bike so I'll have to get back to you.

Puncture Resistance: Honestly had absolutely NO punctures with the Chao's and I know that Schwalbe typically makes armored tires so the jury is still out but I'm guessing that Jims are better..... (I AM biased here)

I have tubeless rims, the Jims Addex compound is not officially tubeless ready, but I could (probably) go tubeless and get away with it. Kind of 'meh' on the whole concept so we'll see in the future. Guess it would save 1.5lb total but I just don't really care.

I couldn't tell the difference with weight during the ride and loading and unloading from vehicle. 2 lb on a road miiiiight be noticeable with a professional rider but this is a human powered M1A2 and 2 lb is not a big enough percentage of total weight.

The whole reason I bought the Jims was for preventative puncture resistance and I'm a Schwalbe guy (they really have to start paying me), and the traction bonus and weight bonus is.... nice.

What am I going to do with the Chao's?
I dunno, cut off the knobbies and have spare slicks?
(what the hell do you do with big assed bike tires?)

Last edited by CrimsonEclipse; 02-10-24 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-10-24, 10:04 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
I have TLR Jims set up tubeless, and it saved another 1.5 lbs to get rid of those tubes. I think the tubes weigh nearly as much as the JJ.

Sell the old tires. They're an upgrade for someone (say someone who's out there on a BikesDirect bike with Vee Mission tires, which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, at least as a front tire)
Old 02-12-24, 05:07 PM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
What's the TPI of the older tires? If they're also 120TPI and a pound heavier that's insane. If they're the 90 or 60 TPI version that's a lot more understandable.

JJ's are great tires. They're best in the other three seasons - they slip on loose snow, when tires like Bud & Lou or Johnny 5's keep gripping. Great that they'll basically work for your conditions all year.
Old 02-12-24, 10:30 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by schnee
What's the TPI of the older tires? If they're also 120TPI and a pound heavier that's insane. If they're the 90 or 60 TPI version that's a lot more understandable.

JJ's are great tires. They're best in the other three seasons - they slip on loose snow, when tires like Bud & Lou or Johnny 5's keep gripping. Great that they'll basically work for your conditions all year.
Chao's are 120TPI and the Jim's are 67EPI whatever the hell that is.

I think TPI and EPI are similar.

Schwalbe probably gets away with less structure and better compounds.

Not a whole lot of snow, and since I ride in a pretty dense forest, not much of that snow reaches the ground.

Considered 45nrth but Schwalbe caught me with a sale.
Old 02-13-24, 10:08 AM
maaakaaa

Bikes: 2011 Giant TranceX, 2015 Ralleigh Rumson, early 1990s Gitane CX, 1993 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1992 Bianchi Project-3, 1994 Norco Blitz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Very nice! My previous (and first) fat bike was a Raleigh Rumson that came with those Chao Yang 4.9 tires. I was much happier in the snow when I replaced them with a set of Surly Lous that I got when the non-tubeless version was being cleared out for $50 each. Not a fast setup, but so much more traction, as well as lighter and more supple even with tubes still. I have Nates on my current bike and I’d rather ride those than the CY 4.9.
Old 02-13-24, 04:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
https://www.schwalbe.com/en/technolo...-construction/

Ends Per Inch, I think the measurement is the same they just call it by a different name.

The cheaper JJs are 67 the nicer ones with the Addix SpeedGrip compound is 127 but probably most any tire from Schwalbe is going to be a huge step up from Chao Yang, I haven't yet come across a Chao Yang I want to ride, mang!