Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are You A Spinner Or A Grinder Up Hills?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are You A Spinner Or A Grinder Up Hills?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 06:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I eat grinders whilst I spin

Passing seated people pushing high gears on a climb and obviously suffering makes me want yell out, go to a lower gear. But then there bike may be in the lowest, or they are working on doing some leg strengthening. Or maybe they are dumb a=@$$e$. But gear down anyway!
Where I grew up, we call them "hoagies".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-09-24, 06:49 PM
One Wheel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
So you are hitting 70 mph on 20% descents hey. I seriously doubt it unless you are a top pro descender on a closed road.
My best is just shy of 55, but there's a good chance it would be higher if I had higher gearing. I spin out about 42-43 mph in 52 x 11.

4500% is hyperbole, in reality much below 1:1 starts to feel unstable for me, and I haven't tried it but I suspect that even for a die-hard grinder/ adrenaline junky like me higher than 1:5.5 or 1:6 would be useless in the vast majority of applications. For applications where the speed limit is set by (real or perceived) lateral traction (gravel or MTB) rather than linear power application (clean, relatively straight pavement) the valuable range is even smaller. For road applications the idea that something like 1 x 10-33 or 10-36 is suitable for anything other than a flat TT is just component manufacturers trying to sell fewer components for the same amount of money.
Old 03-09-24, 06:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2584 Post(s)
Liked 5,642 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Ditto. And we drink ‘pop’ not ‘soda’ whilst standing up.

Old 03-09-24, 06:52 PM
One Wheel

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
I didn't know Wisconsin was full of 20% grade climbs long enough to hit 65-70mph on? I live in a pretty mountainous area, so I'll be happy with my 1:1 climbing ratio and learn to live with spinning out a compact crank at only 40mph.
That's a goal, I haven't found the 65-70 mph hills yet. I've almost hit 55, I'll get 60 with the right bike and tailwind one of these days.
Likes For One Wheel:
Old 03-09-24, 06:55 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Okay, I rode that segment today, because that top speed was pretty lame. I did an out-of-the-saddle sprint until I ran out of gears, sat down and spun out at 125 cadence.

New highest speed: 40.8 mph. 7th place on the old people's leader board (65+). Might be my maximum, given my weight handicap.
I never hit 40 mph there, but I've never tried sprinting - like I said, I just make sure I hit 30 by Indian Crossing and then tuck and coast.

Old 03-09-24, 06:59 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Where I grew up in South Central PA, it was 'soda'. West of the Alleghenies, it's 'pop'. In Breezewood, somewhere in the middle between Philadephia and Pittsburgh, it's apparently 'soda pop', based on what I saw on a soda machine at the Breezewood rest stop on the PA Turnpike.

I confess, I have not made an exhaustive study to determine where the transition(s) happen.

Old 03-09-24, 07:14 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
The personal preference to remain seated skews heavily toward the heavy, and I personally have always found climbing out of the saddle to be more tiring than climbing in the saddle, and yet a number of the best climbers* in the pro peloton do long sections of climbs standing, which they surely would not do if they, too, found it more tiring to stand than sit.

So, there IS a scientific explanation. We - meaning you and I - haven't identified it. Others may well have done.
But, we can rule out some things, which is what my posts have been about.
Old 03-09-24, 07:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
But, we can rule out some things, which is what my posts have been about.
I'm not sold on your conclusions.

Old 03-09-24, 07:20 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by One Wheel
That's a goal, I haven't found the 65-70 mph hills yet. I've almost hit 55, I'll get 60 with the right bike and tailwind one of these days.
Head out west, you'll get your goal. I hit 50mph just about every ride and stupid speeds can be achieved on some of the longer descents. Gearing isn't so much an issue with these, the limitations are self-preservation and whatever the wind is doing that day. My main road bike has a bad habit of getting the wobbles in any sort of erratic winds, so that's what keeps me at reasonable speeds.
Old 03-09-24, 07:29 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
I'm not sold on your conclusions.
That's fine. You've already stated that you also aren't interested in an explanation, so I won't try to convince you.
Old 03-09-24, 07:36 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Grinder.

Ex power lifter, so I have the leg strength. All of my pedal power comes in at lower heart rates and lower cadence levels - I have a lower max heart rate than many, spinning at high power for long durations cause me to blow up.
Is your nickname 'Diesel'?
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 03-09-24, 09:11 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
Back in the days when racers ran a 42-21 or 42-24 as their lowest gear, I stood a lot on climbs, especially above 7%. But I only weighed 125 lbs back then, and had no problem being out of the saddle for extended periods. If I did the same hill on my touring bike and its sub-1:1 gearing, I'd sit and twiddle.

These days, I'm running a compact double on the racer,and even lower gearing on the cruisers... and I've become, ahem, 36% more gravitationally attractive than my racing days. So if it's a short climb, such as the 17% grade to get out of or into the neighborhood, I'll nearly always stand, whereas on longer climbs I'll mostly sit & spin with occasional short standing efforts as needed.

And on the recumbent, I have no choice but to remain seated for the entire performance.
Old 03-09-24, 09:14 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Having ridden up the back side of Gates Pass in a 52/15, sitting down, I was a magnificent grinder in my youth.
"In its 9-0 decision, the Supreme Court unanimously held that this clearly constituted an 8th Amendment violation of the chain's rights."
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 03-10-24, 12:37 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
My knees don't hurt so it feels more like a heavy push +pull then a grind. If I take my mountain bike with road tires, a triple, and 26in wheels I tend to "slow spin" which is about right for me. I am gravity challenged so the vintage bikes, or single speeds I tend to end up grinding up long hills. When I am in my better cardio shape/lighter weight standing is fun since I can use my upper body and the bike goes far side to side with my longer limbs. When I mtb I tend to spin up more to get momentum over obstacles, this also helps me not end up in a "oh Fu--" gear and have to emergency dismount.
I am also the weirdo who likes 175mm cranks and want's to try 180's or 177 as an experiment.
Out of the people I know some light people who stand for ages, others prefer to spin. I don't know many riders heavier then me besides my dad who spins.
Old 03-10-24, 01:26 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
"In its 9-0 decision, the Supreme Court unanimously held that this clearly constituted an 8th Amendment violation of the chain's rights."
Perhaps, but a married chain cannot be compelled to testify against her grinder. And we were tight!
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 03-10-24, 03:56 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by One Wheel

4500% is hyperbole, in reality much below 1:1 starts to feel unstable for me, and I haven't tried it but I suspect that even for a die-hard grinder/ adrenaline junky like me higher than 1:5.5 or 1:6 would be useless in the vast majority of applications.
If you are talking about dealing with genuine 20% gradients then mountain bike gearing eg. 1.6:1 is far better than 1:1 and actually more stable at the same road speed. Even on a 10% gradient 1:1 gearing is marginal for maintaining a good cadence, especially when seated. It’s fine if the climb is very short and you can just blast up it at 400W+ but not ideal on a longer climb where you need to manage your effort.

A modern road compact double is actually perfect for most of my local riding but not when I venture onto the numerous 20%+ road climbs we have in the surrounding hills. I can still ride them all, but it is far from ideal gearing at the low end. The top end is never an issue here as the descents are way too technical to be hitting the upper limits of gearing. I rarely even use my highest gear and would happily trade it for lower climbing gears anytime.
Old 03-10-24, 11:00 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
I never hit 40 mph there, but I've never tried sprinting - like I said, I just make sure I hit 30 by Indian Crossing and then tuck and coast.
Well, now that I've thrown down the gauntlet, will you pick it up? Sprints can be fun.

Old 03-10-24, 05:16 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Well, now that I've thrown down the gauntlet, will you pick it up? Sprints can be fun.
I was trying out a new wheelset, so I didn't try the sprint there. I was going 30.5 mph as I crossed the intersection, and coasted from there to Portola. I maxed out at 36.3 mph. Might have been the wind, because later in the ride I hit 40 going down Crystal Springs from the dam, so I don't think it was the wheels.

Old 03-10-24, 06:24 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
I'm a spinner/get-off-and-walker. But then I'm not a roadie, so I have less of my self-worth invested in climbing stoopid steep hills.
Likes For Korina:
Old 03-10-24, 06:53 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
I was trying out a new wheelset, so I didn't try the sprint there. I was going 30.5 mph as I crossed the intersection, and coasted from there to Portola. I maxed out at 36.3 mph.
I'm sure you'll totally clobber my max. speed there, as soon as you put in a half-hearted sprint effort.

I should have a much better chance on an uphill sprint.

Old 03-11-24, 03:52 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Yeah, but they are heroes...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 03-11-24, 03:55 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
I've always missed the time before brifters and ergo bars, especially when grinding up the steep parts of sharp mountains when I pretended I was Lemond/Hinault. I used to yank the bars back and forth and somehow it helped me climb like an angel.
But those are brief shining moments and the ride will be much longer and less comfortable with those ergo bars and brifters. Also downtube shifters feel silly compared to brifters. I suppose it's a trade-off.
When I attempt to stand and grind with brifters and ergo bars, my arms feel like silly, useless things. I built up a downtube shifter bike with old-style bars and Shimano Sante brake levers and it felt SO sweet to stand and climb on that bike. I still can't figure it out. Your arms, your shoulders, your back muscles, they all contribute toward thrusting you upwards, but not with brifter levers and ergo bars. You just feel like you're hanging on while the legs do all the work.

That said, I like to spin mostly, but like to take a break from that and grind up the steeper hairpins and pretending I'm Hinault.

Edit: there's nothing quite like grinding at high RPM in a gear that's a little too high. The only problem is, you're probably not going to be able to hold that high until the summit. The mountain will always outlast you.

Last edited by calamarichris; 03-11-24 at 04:32 PM.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 03-11-24, 04:18 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
So, here's the thing - it really doesn't matter whether I can explain the observation. The observation doesn't require that I be able to explain it for it to be true.
I'm the skinny climber who has observed the same trends forever. And, yes, there are exceptions. But not a whole lot. Not nearly enough to suggest Tomato Coupe's hypothesis that standing is an equal burden regardless of weight. (That those weighing twice as much have twice the power to offer so what's the big deal? And, if TCs theory was right, we light guys with bikes that are percentage-weight-wise much heavier should be eating it on the hard hills, not thriving.)
Old 03-11-24, 04:21 PM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
I’m more of a grinder, but have been limiting myself going out of saddle to improve my spinning. I found with spinning, I can alternate saddle position to increase my cadence without fully blowing up my HR. I also alternate drop bar grip position as well. My favorite is gripping on the corners of drop bar top.

I reserve my out of saddle towards the end of a climb where I can rely on my muscle strength and anaerobic fitness. I also alternate between road and gravel. With dirt climbs I have no choice but to rely on spinning due to loose traction.

If I’m a group ride starting equally with a dedicated spinner on long climbs, I’ll get destroyed. Though if there are flat sections or dips between climbs, I can close the distance gap. Lastly, I find slowing my pace, can help by conserving energy allowing me to attack the climb later on with more gas in the tank.
Old 03-11-24, 04:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
Yeah, but they are heroes...
Subs. Yes I I've been corrected; that subway wasn't a correct Boston term for those sandwiches but I was never either turned down or corrected in an Boston deli. And I have a hard time believing those cantankerous Italians wouldn't correct me! (The cantanker would wear off but it took this obviously not Italian kid a few trips to become welcome. That I loved it when they poured on the onions helped a lot.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.