Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Searching for a new Hybrid

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-24, 05:49 PM
YangO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been looking to buy a new hybrid for the past 2 Months and I can't decide, I have a $600 to spend

I missed out on a couple used ones on Facebook Marketplace and Ebay that had potential.

There has been a few online that I have liked but I don't know how good they are,

I looked at the Diamondback Division 2 -Marin Fairfax 1 - Marin Kentfield 1- Kona Dew - Batch Urban

Any opinions on these or any other suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by YangO; 03-11-24 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-11-24, 06:20 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts
Diamondback Divison 2 looks pretty solid, though 1x9 with a 11-34 might not be enough range for some people.

Marin Fairfax 1 is fairly low end, the levers are pretty crappy, and it will probably shift like garbage if it actually comes with a KMC Z50 chain. Brakes might suck. At least it has a cassette hub. 3x7 will give a wider range of gearing. The Fairfax 2 is a better choice.

Marin Kentfield 1 comes with a proper chain, shift and brake levers. A bit more upright than the Fairfax. Brakes might suck. 1x7 11-34 might not be enough range for some people.

Kona Dew is pretty solid. 2x8 11-34 with a 22/36 has plenty of low end, but the highest gear isn't all that high.

Batch Urban has the least range with 12-32 1x8. Brakes might suck.

There are countless brands out there that have bikes in this price range. Perhaps stop by a bike shop and you can try some bikes out in person to see what you like.
Old 03-11-24, 06:28 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
All the ones you listed seem pretty similar. The biggest differences I see (besides brand and color) are wheel size and 3x7 vs. 1x gearing. Any one of them would be a fine hybrid bicycle.
Old 03-11-24, 06:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
You will probably getting something similar nothing good lots of tourney and more than likely mechanical brakes and aluminum frame and aluminum fork or a cheap hi-ten steel fork. Ride them all and figure out which of them is better to you. They are all on the lower end of bikes but if you are a very occasional rider they are bikes and they do work as bikes.

The Kona is probably the top of the heap but if you can go for it spend the money and get the Dew Plus and you will have a much better bike.
Old 03-11-24, 08:16 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Do none of them speak to you? I envy or pity you. Except for two, every bike I've ever bought was something I deeply coveted so much. The day I bought my Masi Gran Criterium, my scalp turned icy/tingly and I had to grab the bike shop counter because I was about to faint and fall unconscious on the floor.
Do you not covet any of these bikes deeply? If no, I vote you keep looking.
Likes For calamarichris:
Old 03-12-24, 06:07 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by calamarichris
Do none of them speak to you? I envy or pity you. Except for two, every bike I've ever bought was something I deeply coveted so much. The day I bought my Masi Gran Criterium, my scalp turned icy/tingly and I had to grab the bike shop counter because I was about to faint and fall unconscious on the floor.
Do you not covet any of these bikes deeply? If no, I vote you keep looking.
I'm pretty sure a Masi and a basic hybrid don't speak the same language LOL
Old 03-12-24, 06:29 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
You already know the best route is to find a good, used bike. But if you're not having any luck, and can't go higher than $600, there might be another option. The bike industry seems to be in a bit of a slump right now and many dealers may have excess inventory. Have you tried going around to the local shops to see what they have in stock (some around here even sell used bikes). Might want to give it a shot. They might have one that's been traded in or might even be willing to sell one less than MSRP, to clear some inventory.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 03-12-24, 06:46 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I'm pretty sure a Masi and a basic hybrid don't speak the same language LOL
My Masi was made about 3 miles from where I live now. So it speaks fluent Californian. Dude.
It was made in 1984 but I bought the frame in 1988, brand-new. I'd always pined after it, but couldn't afford it when I was a USCF Junior making $4.35/hr bagging groceries at f*****ing Albertsons.
But when I was home on Xmas leave from the Army, I stopped by my old haunts and IT WAS STILL UP THERE! I bought it immediately and I was so happy, I honestly almost fainted in the bikeshop.
I've had that bike since 1988 and it was my only vehicle in Europe when I had to get to work, to community college, and to race in the Netherlands. I rode it to Cologne (Koln) a dozen times, and many thousands of miles in the rain on Belgian farm roads coated with slimy, amonia-stinking pig manure (with no fenders). I was also humiliated half a dozen times racing in the International Class (turns out everyone [even my teammates] but me was on amphetamines.) I have an irrational attachment (love?) for it now. It is part of my identity and personality.
As Bob Roll said in "Dog in a Hat": This bike wears a lot of suffering.
Old 03-12-24, 09:25 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
My suggestion is to look at gravel bikes.

With the drop bar, you have three different hand positions available and a narrower aerodynamic profile than flat bar bikes.

They typically come with more of a forward lean than hybrid bikes do, but with a simple stem change they can be just as relaxed while ALSO having the option to tuck down into a headwind and reduce the aero drag significantly.

If the OP is really set on a production hybrid, Trek Verve is a good comfortable one and Trek FX is a bit faster. (smaller tires, more forward lean)

I had a Trek Verve 3 for years and it was a good bike, but I sold it and replaced it with a gravel bike, which is much faster with the same effort.
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 03-12-24, 06:38 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Trek FX1 and Verve 1 are both currently on sale for $600. Hard to beat that for a new bike.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 03-12-24, 06:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by bboy314
Trek FX1 and Verve 1 are both currently on sale for $600. Hard to beat that for a new bike.
Yeeesh! If those are on sale for $600 that is a normal non-sale prices for modern Tourney/Altus low end stuff you do pay extra for it to advertise Trek. Even on some of those around that price you can get disc brakes granted nothing great but nothing great anywhere on those types of bikes.
Old 03-14-24, 06:34 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
I love my Kona Dew. I have other bikes but I keep coming back to the Dew.
Old 03-31-24, 06:29 PM
YangO

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of a Scott Sub cross 50 Felt Verza 40 and Specialized Sirrus 1.0 what is bike for the money ?
Thank you all for recommendations.
Old 03-31-24, 08:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by YangO
Out of a Scott Sub cross 50 Felt Verza 40 and Specialized Sirrus 1.0 what is bike for the money ?
Thank you all for recommendations.
I guess if I was forced to choose between those options the Felt is probably the best out of all of those. The Sirrus and Sub Cross are both tourney equipped garbage. The Felt at least is a notch or two up from that not a huge step mind you but if the riding amount is low and the budget is stuck then that is probably around where I would land. However the lower you go the more expensive long term the bike gets. Cheaper parts don't last as long and hold their tune as well so you will likely put more money towards them so that initially low cost bike turns into a more expensive bike which does not help you in the least.